Reload this Page >

working in Australia

working in Australia

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 11:50 am
pools mad

chrisg28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working in Australia

HI

Does anyone have any experience of working in Australia as I have heard that Australians do not like it when english people go over to Australia and find work. A friend of mine has told me a story about his friend who found work out in Australia and the people he worked with made his life hell and he ended up coming back home. Is this a common thing or just a one off ?
I am eventualy when we get things sorted out this end, going to look for work in Melbourne as a maintenance technician.

please comment

thanks chris
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us people in Australia *work* Chris, its a developed country just like the UK .

Australia has a large amount of migrants from all countries in its population, 99% of people here dont really give a damn where you come from .

As for your friend whos workmates made his life so difficult that he had to go back to the UK, did it never occur to him to perhaps change jobs?
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in Australia

Originally posted by chrisg28
HI

Does anyone have any experience of working in Australia as I have heard that Australians do not like it when english people go over to Australia and find work. A friend of mine has told me a story about his friend who found work out in Australia and the people he worked with made his life hell and he ended up coming back home. Is this a common thing or just a one off ?
I am eventualy when we get things sorted out this end, going to look for work in Melbourne as a maintenance technician.

please comment

thanks chris
Personally we didnt have any probs finding work in Melbourne, nor were we victimised inthe workplace for being English (well, apart from the usual pom-bashing, but it wasn't malicious)

However, I was friends with a guy who had emigrated to melbourne and could not get work. he was a plumber and after 6 months went back to UK. He said all along that it was down to the anti-British attitude that he came up against, and that the reason people wouldn't employ him was because he was English. He reckoned as soon as people heard his accent they'd made their mind up not to employ him. So that was his interpretation of why he couldn't get a job.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Melb has loads of peeps from all over the world, best place for you to look for work if you are worried about being a pome.

Just dont give up

booboo
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in Australia

Originally posted by chrisg28
HI

please comment

thanks chris
No-one here gives a rats about where you come from - as long as you do a decent job.

Did your friend's friend have a proper visa that allowed him to work? You can't just lob in and look for work without one - if you do manage to find someone who'll employ you illegally, they're often shonky and you can be badly treated. And of course, you can't do anything about it....
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:19 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Both sides

One - I came over on a transfer with my job (husband PR on his trade) and they gave me a hard time....told them straight, get the insult right I am not a pom who doesn't wash I am an irish bog arab! 20 months in I got a drinks bash because I am leaving for NZ for 3 months work in three days, cause they will miss me.

Two - husband printer, he got us PR here, still out of print 20 months in, the trade is who you know not what you know. Latest job chat -"I have enough resumes why should I be bothered to check references from the UK I can't get"

Will admit if we went down to Victoria he would be in with his skills....but does not suit my IT ones.

This is not the land of milk and honey, it is the land of hard work and long hours! Lots of nice bits though?

Cheers
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:37 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i think you will find people that are particularly anti-pom. its a country of immigrants but most soon forget that fact when a pom is in the firing line. mostly it's banter but sometimes it goes deeper. some suggest there is a glass ceiling for poms and although i did'nt experience that you certainly have to be twice as good as the competition to succeed.

i would say expect it. you will not always get it but be prepared for it. we found there was particular resentment from the second generation scotties who still do not care for the english. unfortunately there are a lot of those about.

it's certainly an eye opener when you experience it first hand. makes you appreciate how lucky we are to generally not be discriminated against.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 3:11 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

we found there was particular resentment from the second generation scotties who still do not care for the english. unfortunately there are a lot of those about.
Yeah, most trouble I saw seemed to come from 2nd generation Irish, Scots, Italians. 99% of Aussies (from whichever background) will take the piss but not in a serious way... just give as good as you get and it`s all fine.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kelly T is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an aunt and uncle living in Adelaide, they have been there for nearly 21 years and have never had problems with jobs.
As far as I know their friends have had no problems either.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by Stormz
Yeah, most trouble I saw seemed to come from 2nd generation Irish, Scots, Italians. 99% of Aussies (from whichever background) will take the piss but not in a serious way... just give as good as you get and it's all fine.
Bear in mind that, at least in Sydney, Brits are no longer the majority in each migrant intake. In other word,s they are becoming less visible. Traditionally, each migrant intake has been more critical of those coming after them than the "oldtimers" are.

Recently, a house came on the market in our neighourhood. After the sale we were speaking to the Chinese lady who had lived next door for about 20 years. She was delighted her new neighbours were not to be South East Asian as the majority are these days.