Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working for 1 year... do we have options?

Working for 1 year... do we have options?

Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

etones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for 1 year... do we have options?

Hi all,

me and the wife are considering going to Australia just for a year to work and travel.

I have a degree from the university of leeds and work in the IT field. The mrs has a degree in business administration from a very reputable canadian university and a masters in marketing from the university of manchester.

We do not want to become citizens, just simply go over for a year to work and travel, then either come back to the UK to settle or jump over to Canada.

What are our options?

Thanks for any advice and help.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for 1 year... do we have options?

Originally Posted by etones
Hi all,

me and the wife are considering going to Australia just for a year to work and travel.

I have a degree from the university of leeds and work in the IT field. The mrs has a degree in business administration from a very reputable canadian university and a masters in marketing from the university of manchester.

We do not want to become citizens, just simply go over for a year to work and travel, then either come back to the UK to settle or jump over to Canada.

What are our options?

Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is there for people who want to do what you have outlined. If you are under 30 you can get one and you can stay for up to 2 years.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:24 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

What are our options?

Are you both under 30? Then you both can apply for a WHV (working holiday visa). That's for 12 months and you can work for any one employer for up to 6 months (you can then work for another employer for another 6 months).

Read the Oz immigration web site for more info: www.immi.gov.au

Gina
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:25 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
you can stay for up to 2 years.
Only if you work on a farm.

Gina
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Only if you work on a farm.

Gina
If you do 3 months in agriculture you get another year.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Are you both under 30?
Last time I checked, the threshold was 31st birthday, so it's "30 and under".
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Location: South Yorkshire next stop Perth (but open to suggestions)
SarahA will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

What are our options?

Hi,

Me and my OH are thinking of doing the same thing now. Try it over there for a year on a WHV.

If by any chance, we decided we wanted to stay, does anyone know what options we would have after that? Say got 9 months in and wanted to stay past the year, but not work in farming etc. Does it look better for us that we have been working there for 9 months already?

I've heard that if an employer offers you sponsorship, your visa is extended by a year and you can apply for PR. Is this true?

I'm just trying to get a feel for our options that if we do go out on a WHV, is there any possibly we could stay out there, rather than come back here?

Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahA
Hi,

Me and my OH are thinking of doing the same thing now. Try it over there for a year on a WHV.

If by any chance, we decided we wanted to stay, does anyone know what options we would have after that? Say got 9 months in and wanted to stay past the year, but not work in farming etc. Does it look better for us that we have been working there for 9 months already?

I've heard that if an employer offers you sponsorship, your visa is extended by a year and you can apply for PR. Is this true?

I'm just trying to get a feel for our options that if we do go out on a WHV, is there any possibly we could stay out there, rather than come back here?
If you are seriously contemplating a longer term stay, then a migration visa may be a better option (if you're eligible).

It's not always easy to stay on if you have a WHV.