Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work wear - long or short sleeve shirts?

Work wear - long or short sleeve shirts?

Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:10 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work wear - long or short sleeve shirts?

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Short sleeves for me, and I havn't worn a tie to work in 18 years.
That recently? Don't think I've worn one for over 25 years. And I wear long sleeved shirts for 2-3 months each year and short sleeves the rest of the time - although I do draw the line at wearing shorts to work.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
That recently? Don't think I've worn one for over 25 years. And I wear long sleeved shirts for 2-3 months each year and short sleeves the rest of the time - although I do draw the line at wearing shorts to work.
I would wear shorts to work if I was allowed to
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There is actually something to be said for the age-old shorts and socks thing...

To quote (paraphrase) Bill Bryson:

"The propensity of men of a certain age wearing shorts and knee-high socks"

It would be quite cool. And take a leaf out of the Arab way of life - keep exposed skin covered etc
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I do in the office during the summer - but then again I work in an office that allows casual attire.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If I said that....

I would be required to take down my trousers and await the next person in a long line of people filing past to adminster beatings...which I no longer feel...

cheers
Don't know what's so derogatory about that, it's a simple case that the lawyers can be called to court any time and need to wear their robes and would look out of place with bare arms sticking out of their robes. The non legal staff, like my OH, don't wear robes so no problem
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Don't do short sleeve shirts...he'll look like Mr Bean. Is this your only worry about moving to the other side of the world?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The private school lads around where I live wear snot green shorts, snot green short sleeve shirts and long snot green long socks. Its really cruel.ii
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tell him to go to work and try out the aircon. Within 48 hours he may well be not only in long sleeves but also wearing a fleece and gloves. I have never been as cold at work as I am in my current job, and its all aircon related.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tell him to go to work and try out the aircon. Within 48 hours he may well be not only in long sleeves but also wearing a fleece and gloves. I have never been as cold at work as I am in my current job, and its all aircon related.
My office has the "it's too cold" brigade, who always thinks it's cold in the office and often manage to persuade the relevant people to turn up the thermostat. Bloody annoying, as it usually feels just fine to me and then ends up really stuffy and uncomfortable - and even then it can still be on the cold side for them.