Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

work visa nz medicals and police checks needed???

work visa nz medicals and police checks needed???

Old Sep 30th 2003, 10:11 am
alf
Just Joined

alf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work visa nz medicals and police checks needed???

Hi can anyone help with this,

Other half has a job offer in NZ we would like to go ,asap, i phoned NZIS at ONE POUND PER MINUTE to ask advice i was under the impression we needed to get police clearance and a medical and lodge application at NZ house. Phone voice tells me we dont need to have a medical or police clearance for a two year working visa. We plan to lodge application for residency when we arrive in NZ and go through. she also said police checks only last 3 months and medicals 6 months i thought police checks lasted longer.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alf,

We went down the same route - husband had job offer, he applied for a Working Visa (for up to 2yrs), no medical or police checks needed. Got it in 1wk! So husband could take up the job straight away. Then we applied for permanent residence.

We applied for PR here in uk but you could, as you said apply out in nz and have the medicals done there, but you will have to get your Police checks done in the uk I think.

Hope this helps.

Bryher
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: work visa nz medicals and police checks needed???

Originally posted by alf
Hi can anyone help with this,

Other half has a job offer in NZ we would like to go ,asap, i phoned NZIS at ONE POUND PER MINUTE to ask advice i was under the impression we needed to get police clearance and a medical and lodge application at NZ house. Phone voice tells me we dont need to have a medical or police clearance for a two year working visa. We plan to lodge application for residency when we arrive in NZ and go through. she also said police checks only last 3 months and medicals 6 months i thought police checks lasted longer.
Hi,
The way I understand it is that you need medicals and police clearances if you are planning to stay in NZ for more than 24 months. If the workpermit is therefore issued for 2 years only, you dont need medicals and police clearances.

We also came to NZ on a work permit and submitted an application for PR when we were in NZ. I think the police checks are valid for 6 months and the medicals for 3 months. The are many doctors in NZ offering medical checks for PR applications.

Look at NZIS website to double check. also, it may be cheaper than a pound a minute to phone NZIS in New Zealand directly (just be aware of the time diff). Their phone number is +64 9 914 4100.

Might be worthwhile to get the police checks done before you come, and have the medicals done here and submit for PR before the police checks expire. Thats what we did. Still waiting on the PR tho.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:19 am
alf
Just Joined

Originally posted by Bryher
Hi Alf,

We went down the same route - husband had job offer, he applied for a Working Visa (for up to 2yrs), no medical or police checks needed. Got it in 1wk! So husband could take up the job straight away. Then we applied for permanent residence.

We applied for PR here in uk but you could, as you said apply out in nz and have the medicals done there, but you will have to get your Police checks done in the uk I think.

Hope this helps.

Bryher
Thanks that info helps a great deal.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:21 am
alf
Just Joined

Default Re: work visa nz medicals and police checks needed???

Originally posted by newkiwi
Hi,
The way I understand it is that you need medicals and police clearances if you are planning to stay in NZ for more than 24 months. If the workpermit is therefore issued for 2 years only, you dont need medicals and police clearances.

We also came to NZ on a work permit and submitted an application for PR when we were in NZ. I think the police checks are valid for 6 months and the medicals for 3 months. The are many doctors in NZ offering medical checks for PR applications.

Look at NZIS website to double check. also, it may be cheaper than a pound a minute to phone NZIS in New Zealand directly (just be aware of the time diff). Their phone number is +64 9 914 4100.

Might be worthwhile to get the police checks done before you come, and have the medicals done here and submit for PR before the police checks expire. Thats what we did. Still waiting on the PR tho.
Can i ask when did you arrive in NZ and when did you apply for PR, thanks for info.