Work Visa

Old Jan 1st 2003, 8:36 am
Just Joined

simon67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Work Visa

Hi,
I've applied for Australian PR Aug 2002 and it is still under process. Recently I've got a job in Australia. But the employer won't process the work visa. They are asking me to get the visa via some recruiting consultancies.

Please advice, if any of you aware of such agencies process work visa and how much is the cost for this.

Thanks,
Old Jan 1st 2003, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Can't say for sure, but if your proposed Employer arranges your visa, it may be problematic, if not impossible, for you to subsequently change Employer. There may also be the question of your circumstances should your Employment cease.

You'll need to compare the Visa that your proposed Employer (or his Consultant) intends to arrange on your behalf with the Permanent Resident Visa that you say you have already applied for. AND determine your relative chance of suceeding with one or the other.

Maybe you can proceed with your own independent application in parallel ????

Costs of the Visa Application process will surely be a matter between you and your proposed Employer.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Sorry.

I read your post wrong. Your proposed Employer is suggesting YOU approach a recruitment consultancy? Seems your proposed Employer doesn't want to help you. Or have I got it wrong again?
Old Jan 1st 2003, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Yes...Since it is a contract position, the proposed employer won't process the VISA. They asked me to get the visa myself via some employment agencies. Any help!!!
Old Jan 1st 2003, 9:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simon67
Yes...Since it is a contract position, the proposed employer won't process the VISA. They asked me to get the visa myself via some employment agencies. Any help!!!
I'm no expert but I believe any visa application cancels out any other visas in progress. The latest visa superceding all others.

I think even a tourist visa will null and void any migration application in progress. So be careful in applying for any other visa before checking this out properly.

Dan
Old Jan 1st 2003, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Unhappy

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know have any experience on this situation?
Old Jan 1st 2003, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Exactly which kind of PR visa type have you applied for (Skilled, Employer Nominated, Family Member Etc ? and what sub stream.) Sorry but I am not familar with any or all variants which require an Employer to 'process the visa' as you first put it.

Then tell what kind of Visa your would be Employer is Proposing.

When you say 'Contract Position' maybe this isn't a would be Employer but a would be Client. (They proposing you be Self Employed or Employed by a third part like a Recruitment Agency) In which case the onus is on you to obtain the necessary Visa.

Another thought you may get more help posting to the Immigration rather than Lifestyle forum ? You might want to say what Industry Job/Type we are discussing.

Myself I can't imagine a Recruitment Agency processing visas unless on behalf of their Client.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 12:03 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

A new visa application does not invalidate previous visa applications (for Australia). A new visa grant however, will invalidate presently or previously held visa(s).

So, it's perfectly legal, but possibly complicated, to lodge more than one visa application in succession. The trick is to ensure that a more valuable visa (in this case the PR visa) is not granted before a less valuable visa (in this case the work visa). If this is not observed, the less valuable visa will end up overriding the PR visa, which is obviously not something anyone would want.

There are certain circumstances where a new visa grant will not override an existing visa, but generally, it's not a good idea to be granted a visa if you already have a PR visa.

Peter

Originally posted by renth
I'm no expert but I believe any visa application cancels out any other visas in progress. The latest visa superceding all others.

I think even a tourist visa will null and void any migration application in progress. So be careful in applying for any other visa before checking this out properly.

Dan
Old Jan 1st 2003, 1:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ptlabs
Dan,

A new visa application does not invalidate previous visa applications (for Australia). A new visa grant however, will invalidate presently or previously held visa(s).

So, it's perfectly legal, but possibly complicated, to lodge more than one visa application in succession. The trick is to ensure that a more valuable visa (in this case the PR visa) is not granted before a less valuable visa (in this case the work visa). If this is not observed, the less valuable visa will end up overriding the PR visa, which is obviously not something anyone would want.

There are certain circumstances where a new visa grant will not override an existing visa, but generally, it's not a good idea to be granted a visa if you already have a PR visa.

Peter

Ah, right. I knew it wasn't a good idea.

When we went to validate our PR's last year I was totally paranoid that the helpful travel agent would apply for an ETA on our behalf. They didn't but I knew it would invalidate the PR.

Dan