Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

work union in oz,some questions

work union in oz,some questions

Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default work union in oz,some questions

As unions are a big thing in oz say the likes of construction jobs etc.
Can someone give me some advise,i used to be in one in the uk,but stopped it as they did nothing for you and they have just got worse and worse as years have gone by,Well thats what i think anyway.
Other might think different.

But i was wondering when i am living and working in australia and i join a union,what are the requirements is it an easy thing to do,is it just filling in some pappers and getting some sort of union card,or is there more to it that that.
Does your job title get mentioned at anytime or when applying,say my job title is not on the australian immagration list,but is a job advertised in australia and is a job i would or could do,whats required to put this job title on this application or whatever is required to join the union.
Say i passed my tra under a different job title and not a job title i plan on doing does this affect they way i can join or apply to the union.

Its just something that was mentioned by a person the other day and i never thought about it really and not a big deal but wanted to know maybe if anyone can tell me more about it and how it works over there.

As a few years ago when i was on a working holiday visa an employer i almost got a job with asked if i was in a union and said it was a big thing there and that i should get into it.
If i am going to live and work there in the future i suppose i will need to look into it further.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:46 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work union in oz,some questions

From my experience the only places where unions are still pretty strong here are the traditional blue collar jobs like mining, forestry, Wharfies etc.

Also strong union sentiment in some education quarters, some construction and perhaps gov't jobs (loval Council staff uniions etc).

Its not compulsory to be in a union but in some trades it would be very difficult to NOT be (ie, can't imagine there are many coal miners in the Hunter that aren't union members.

Joining is usually a proccess of fillling out a form and making a yearly/monthly financial contribution.....

I've not been in a union for 7-8 years cause it just seemed I was paying for nothing......lots of money and didn't get much out of it really.

I suppose if something had gone wrong and I was sacked or something I might have wished I'd stayed a member!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
As unions are a big thing in oz say the likes of construction jobs etc.
Can someone give me some advise,i used to be in one in the uk,but stopped it as they did nothing for you and they have just got worse and worse as years have gone by,Well thats what i think anyway.
Other might think different.

But i was wondering when i am living and working in australia and i join a union,what are the requirements is it an easy thing to do,is it just filling in some pappers and getting some sort of union card,or is there more to it that that.
Does your job title get mentioned at anytime or when applying,say my job title is not on the australian immagration list,but is a job advertised in australia and is a job i would or could do,whats required to put this job title on this application or whatever is required to join the union.
Say i passed my tra under a different job title and not a job title i plan on doing does this affect they way i can join or apply to the union.

Its just something that was mentioned by a person the other day and i never thought about it really and not a big deal but wanted to know maybe if anyone can tell me more about it and how it works over there.

As a few years ago when i was on a working holiday visa an employer i almost got a job with asked if i was in a union and said it was a big thing there and that i should get into it.
If i am going to live and work there in the future i suppose i will need to look into it further.
If you're going to work in the construction industry, then union membership maybe important, because on some sites, if you don't have a union ticket, and safety training, you don't work, particularly now that the Workchoices legislation may soon be removed. This is also true of the transport industry. Building is mainly covered by the Builders Labourer Federation and in transport, the Transport Workers Union. Unions however, have in recent years had their power lessened.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been in the union when there is one recognized at work. The only problem is that here in Aus it's so bloody expensive. I must pay about $50 a month for CPSU membership.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I've always been in the union when there is one recognized at work. The only problem is that here in Aus it's so bloody expensive. I must pay about $50 a month for CPSU membership.
I used to be in the Storemen and Packers years ago, and they did absolutely nothing.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I used to be in the Storemen and Packers years ago, and they did absolutely nothing.
there have been a few incidents over the last few years where members have needed help and got nothing. I don't know why I bother to be honest.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

So in other words its a waste of time and money just like it is in the uk which i stopped many years ago,just when i was over there some years ago an employer or agency cant remember now highly recommended i was a member or joined,this was for a job on a shell site.
I suppose i will get to know more about it and find out more once over there,so it does not matter when your classed as by tra and what you will do or are then when joining?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:06 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by brian.w
So in other words its a waste of time and money just like it is in the uk which i stopped many years ago,just when i was over there some years ago an employer or agency cant remember now highly recommended i was a member or joined,this was for a job on a shell site.
I suppose i will get to know more about it and find out more once over there,so it does not matter when your classed as by tra and what you will do or are then when joining?
You may find that you have to join the union for some, say, construction jobs though.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough

hi there, my husbands a bricklayer and he is a member of the CFMEU. Not really sure of your trade but suggest you check out the website. OH has always been a member of a union in Ireland so wouldnt have it any other way. We think being in the union gives you that little bit more piece of mind. Good Luck