Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

work situation in perth and sydney

work situation in perth and sydney

Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice
Default work situation in perth and sydney

hi all. just trying to find out what the work situation is like in perth and sydney as im coming over there in december.

i have got family in perth and friends in sydney but as alot of you guys are over there its good to touch base with people and see what it is like. im a qualified bricklayer and have been for 9 years. i have worked on major projects in england and have a wealth of experiance. i have also worked for a big building firm as an assitant site manager.

is the building trade picking up again in these citys? or is it the same as what it has been for a while. it seems to be over in england and it is picking up alot here.

it owuld be good to hear from people on there views on this. also anyone that is playing rugby over there as well as im a semi pro player looking to migrate to australia. i have to do it the hard way tho as i have already had my working holiday visa and cant get another one.

many thanks to you all speak soon
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:50 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work situation in perth and sydney

Originally Posted by dyson99
hi all. just trying to find out what the work situation is like in perth and sydney as im coming over there in december.

i have got family in perth and friends in sydney but as alot of you guys are over there its good to touch base with people and see what it is like. im a qualified bricklayer and have been for 9 years. i have worked on major projects in england and have a wealth of experiance. i have also worked for a big building firm as an assitant site manager.

is the building trade picking up again in these citys? or is it the same as what it has been for a while. it seems to be over in england and it is picking up alot here.

it owuld be good to hear from people on there views on this. also anyone that is playing rugby over there as well as im a semi pro player looking to migrate to australia. i have to do it the hard way tho as i have already had my working holiday visa and cant get another one.

work is ok ,money not flash though expect to earn something between 220-250 a day for a bricklayer . id help you out as i run a team of bricklayers here but im returning to the uk myself .
Best time to get the paper [west australian] is wednesdays and saturdays and go the night before to the west australian press office in osborne park as the paper comes out in the shops about 11pm the previous day ,youll be too late if you wait till the morning .
Id suggest gettting 6 months west australian experience then have a crack at getting your own team [2-1 ] and go price for the proijects ie dale alcock ,perceptions etc .Then you may earn 400 a day for yourself .kk
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice

hi mate thanks for the reply. if you have any contacts at all i would love to be able to talk to them. im sort of coming on a research trip and to play rugby. my plan is to find a company that is willing to possibly sponsor me or to be able to say yes we will give me a job when i get my visa.

the money situation isnt a problem i would work for 200 a day to be honest. thats about the same as we get here at the moment. we are currenly building blocks of flats and doing alot of block and brickwork where we are.

im very keen willing and able to work. i like working and i have got refs and a c.v if you would like to look at them or maybe pass them onto anyone that you know. give me a shout about what you think
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:32 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

hi mate thanks for the reply. if you have any contacts at all i would love to be able to talk to them. im sort of coming on a research trip and to play rugby. my plan is to find a company that is willing to possibly sponsor me or to be able to say yes we will give me a job when i get my visa.

the money situation isnt a problem i would work for 200 a day to be honest. thats about the same as we get here at the moment. we are currenly building blocks of flats and doing alot of block and brickwork where we are.

im very keen willing and able to work. i like working and i have got refs and a c.v if you would like to look at them or maybe pass them onto anyone that you know. give me a shout about what you think
hi dyson ,well not sure how you would get on with a sponsership to be honest ,all bricklaying here is done sub-contract here and i personally have never heard of a bricklayer being sponsered by a sub-contracting outfit .
That doesnt mean to say it hasnt or isnt happening its just i have never heard of anyone doing it ,maybe best to do the reccie and see if u like it then apply for migration you are most likely for sure to get in no probs .Good luck with the future ,its an exciting time .
Dale alcock ,perceptions etc are some of the main builders here and always good to look up on the net and make general enquiries and if they are feeling helpful they may even pass you the phone numbers of their sub-contract teams .kk
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Work here in Sydney has picked up a little bit recently which is mainly due to the government stimulus packages which has pumped money into schools and hospitals etc... . As KK said expect to earn $240-260 a day at the moment.

I have heard of Bricklayers being sponsored although I would think this is highly unlikely at the moment because even though things have picked up its still not enough that employers are struggling to fill vacancies. I could give you the name of some companies in Sydney that may be able to help you find work nearer the time but not knowing you thats the best I can do at the moment. Good luck though.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

hi guys. ive been offered a job in sydney with a company being paid about $52000 a year. now is this good for a single 27 year old guy who plays rugby and drinks alot of beer. and ive also got family in perth so they may be able to help me out if i stay in perth.

my uncle works in the constuction industry and he knows alot of people and may even sponsor me on a 457 visa but im waiting till i arrive to speak with him in person about this.

as log as work seems to be picking up thats ideal. its not bad in england at the mo but its is going to get better but i dont care as ill be in australia sunning myself alot every day possible.