Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work Probation Periods + Aussie Mortgage Borrowing Capability

Work Probation Periods + Aussie Mortgage Borrowing Capability

Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work Probation Periods + Aussie Mortgage Borrowing Capability

Apologies for the long-winded title

Is it true that your income will not be considered as part of a home loan application if you are still on probation at work?

Although a permanent employee with Queensland Health, my OH has a 'standard' 6 month probationary period.

Our intention was to get pre-approval for a home loan but it looks as though we'll now need to wait until the probation period has been completed, according to the mortgage broker we spoke to earlier.

We also wondered what effect a novated vehicle lease would have on our borrowing capability, given that the monthly payment/deduction comprises a finance element and also a 'running costs' element

Cheers
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Probation Periods + Aussie Mortgage Borrowing Capability

We had real trouble getting approval for a mortgage whilst my OH was on probabtion. We were lucky though, that it was near the end of his probation and our broker (second one, cos the first was rubbish!) said 'I'll sort it', and he did

He got them to take into account that my OH had extensive work history in the same profession in the UK for over 10 years (and for the same company.) It probably helped because the broker was part of a massive company here in SA and put lots of business their way
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I picked up my employment contract then walked to our bank (Commonwealth) and had a mortgage approval for 4.5 times my salary before having even started work, they just wanted to see proof of my previous UK salary (to show my Aussie salary wasn't unreasonable). We possibly were helped by the fact that we had all our UK house proceeds in the bank with them so they could see we were only loooking at about a 60% mortgage.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Apologies for the long-winded title

Is it true that your income will not be considered as part of a home loan application if you are still on probation at work?

Although a permanent employee with Queensland Health, my OH has a 'standard' 6 month probationary period.

Our intention was to get pre-approval for a home loan but it looks as though we'll now need to wait until the probation period has been completed, according to the mortgage broker we spoke to earlier.

We also wondered what effect a novated vehicle lease would have on our borrowing capability, given that the monthly payment/deduction comprises a finance element and also a 'running costs' element

Cheers
Best to seek professional advice from a qualified mortgage broker; there are several who post on this site.

It could well be that a lo-doc; or a no-doc loan is the answer..... but don't take my word for that?

I signed up for a no-doc 30 year mortgage on Monday just gone with the ANZ here in Perth. I'm annoyed somewhat with Which Bank......... because i currently have 5 accounts with them......... I have paid off 3 mortgages with them.......... yet they refused my loan application?

ANZ didn't bat an eyelid......... I could have given them a copy of the Beano or the Dandy as documentation and they would have still granted me my loan? Very disappointed with Which Bank!!!

Hopefully a proper mortgage broker will point you in the right direction?

good luck