Work in Perth

Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:02 pm
Perth Bound

Avery Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in Perth

Hi Guys

This is the first time i've posted, though i've spent many hours reading !

Can anybody help with the following;
We hope to move to Perth in April 2004, I work in the Kitchen & bathroom Industry (tiler by trade, though desiging and selling at the moment). Does anybody have any idea if there is much happening in this sector of the market.......is it as difficult to get tradesmen over there as it is here?

We would be pleased to here any comments.

regards
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:19 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work in Perth

Originally posted by Avery Family
Hi Guys

We hope to move to Perth in April 2004, I work in the Kitchen & bathroom Industry (tiler by trade, though desiging and selling at the moment). Does anybody have any idea if there is much happening in this sector of the market.......is it as difficult to get tradesmen over there as it is here?

regards
Hello and welcome to the forum,

We are currently living in Perth, we arrived in August. There is lots of housing development and I would have thought your skills would go hand in hand with this. I haven't noticed any specific jobs for tilers, but then I wouldn't be looking. Jobs are advertised in The West Australian, usually Saturday also Wednesday are the best days, this link will take you to links for this and other Australian papers.

http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/newspapers.php

employment links can be viewed at

http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/employment.php
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:25 pm
Perth Bound

Thanks for the info...Much appreciated
I must also add that we have found many of your posts most interesting and informative. I hope we can call on your expertise again sometime

Thanks once again
Simon
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Tiling is huge here in Perth - bigger than bathroom & kitchen market as lots of houses have living areas tiled too. New house market is booming and there's always renovations and investment properties to consider. There are a lot of properties that have 2 bathrooms+, laundry.

Have noticed British sales staff in tiling outlets (there's a large amount of choice - check out yellow pages). Have an Italian friend who's a tiler & is snowed under with work. If you're good, there are plenty of opportunites. Tradesmen are difficult to come by in outer metro area. Ie a 2 hour drive plus out of Perth.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:44 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info...Much appreciated
I must also add that we have found many of your posts most interesting and informative. I hope we can call on your expertise again sometime

Thanks once again
Simon
No worries

I'll be going through the paper tomorrow so I'll keep a look out, in my limited experience, most fitted kitchens aren't quite the standard or quality that I would be used to.

I think work can be hard to come by though, the handyman that services our apartments said he was out of work a while before he got his current job. He works through the real estate agents, maybe this is another avenue for you too.

Occasionally you see adverts for trades people but I think a lot of it is who you know. Best of luck and any help we can give just ask.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 3:11 pm
Perth Bound

Originally posted by Zebra4
Tiling is huge here in Perth - bigger than bathroom & kitchen market as lots of houses have living areas tiled too. New house market is booming and there's always renovations and investment properties to consider. There are a lot of properties that have 2 bathrooms+, laundry.

Have noticed British sales staff in tiling outlets (there's a large amount of choice - check out yellow pages). Have an Italian friend who's a tiler & is snowed under with work. If you're good, there are plenty of opportunites. Tradesmen are difficult to come by in outer metro area. Ie a 2 hour drive plus out of Perth.
Thanks for your reply..... things look encouraging, We hope to move somewhere up in the hills, Kalamunda way, but I'm happy to look around. I also don't mind travelling around assuming there isn't too much traffic (unlike here!)

Regards
Simon
Old Nov 15th 2003, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Hi Simon & family,

Totally off topic, we're from Aylesbury & came out 8 months ago.
Good decision!

Have sent you a PM

Loopy
Old Nov 15th 2003, 8:25 am
Perth Bound

Hi Loopy,

Good to here from you...see PM reply
Old Nov 15th 2003, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

regards
Hi Simon,
Good choice moving to Perth. ( we are not there but are visiting in Dec/jan 04) I am self employed myself so most of it will be who you know etc. But from what I have heard your job will be in demand due to state of housing market and size of houses.
regards
saloni