Reload this Page >

Work permit or residency ?

Wikiposts

Work permit or residency ?

Old May 28th 2003, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Jackee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Work permit or residency ?

Assuming hubby returns with job offer from NZ (fingers, toes etc. crossed) should we apply for residency (we'll have enough points if he gets a job offer) or a work permit ? I assume the work permit is quicker ?? Is there a benefit in applying for residency from here though rather than the work permit ?
Old May 28th 2003, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit or residency ?

Originally posted by Jackee
Assuming hubby returns with job offer from NZ (fingers, toes etc. crossed) should we apply for residency (we'll have enough points if he gets a job offer) or a work permit ? I assume the work permit is quicker ?? Is there a benefit in applying for residency from here though rather than the work permit ?
People on here have been getting PR in a matter of weeks with a job offer but I suppose it doesn't make much difference. Have you got children? If you don't go for the PR straight away they'd also need study visas for school....I think...(sorry for being vague.)

Personally I'd just apply for the PR from here first and see what happens!

Good luck,

Gra..
Old May 30th 2003, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

All depends on how quickly his employer wants him to start work. If they want him to start asap, then get a work permit (only costs NZ$90) then he'll be able to start work immediately. NZIS will process a work permit there-and-then if you turn up at a quiet time or are prepared to be first in line when they open in the mornings.

Remember that you're not allowed to work on a visitors (tourist) permit or working holiday visa. So if you submitted your PR application without getting a work permit, then legally you would have to wait until that PR application was approved before you could start work. NZIS are prioritizing applications with job offers, however there is no guarantee they will process it quickly - it could take months & depends on how simple or complex your application/personal circumstances are. So if his employer is flexible about start dates, you could skip getting a work permit and just apply for PR.

In terms of where you lodge your application - it makes no difference in the way NZIS process your application. An application is assessed using the same procedures whether you lodge it in NZ or the UK. There are some minor things to be aware of though - the application fee is cheaper in NZ - $500 rather than the equivalent of NZ$700 in the UK. Also if you lodged your application in London and then travelled to NZ, when your application was approved you would need to speak to your case officer to 'transfer' your application to NZ so they could issue PR/RRV labels.

Hope that makes sense

Russ
Old May 31st 2003, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
All depends on how quickly his employer wants him to start work. If they want him to start asap, then get a work permit (only costs NZ$90) then he'll be able to start work immediately. NZIS will process a work permit there-and-then if you turn up at a quiet time or are prepared to be first in line when they open in the mornings.

Remember that you're not allowed to work on a visitors (tourist) permit or working holiday visa. So if you submitted your PR application without getting a work permit, then legally you would have to wait until that PR application was approved before you could start work. NZIS are prioritizing applications with job offers, however there is no guarantee they will process it quickly - it could take months & depends on how simple or complex your application/personal circumstances are. So if his employer is flexible about start dates, you could skip getting a work permit and just apply for PR.

In terms of where you lodge your application - it makes no difference in the way NZIS process your application. An application is assessed using the same procedures whether you lodge it in NZ or the UK. There are some minor things to be aware of though - the application fee is cheaper in NZ - $500 rather than the equivalent of NZ$700 in the UK. Also if you lodged your application in London and then travelled to NZ, when your application was approved you would need to speak to your case officer to 'transfer' your application to NZ so they could issue PR/RRV labels.

Hope that makes sense

Russ
Thanks a lot for this. I appreciate the trouble you took to devise such a detailed reply. He got the job (yeh!!) but is due back tomorrow. I think the firm are thinking October to start ?? Jackee
Old May 31st 2003, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

What is he going to be doing and how did he arrange the interview in the first place.

Regards
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by icklepickle
What is he going to be doing and how did he arrange the interview in the first place.

Regards
He is an accountant. He went out to Auckland a month or so ago enticed by the emailed promises of lots of job leads from an Auckland based recruitment consultant. When he arrived the leads evaporated and she was really useless. However, undeterred (and that's the way to be!) he did see a job advertised and applied, including a very detailed questionnaire type document he had originally prepared at the suggestion of the RC. He had Two 1hr + telephone interviews with the partners and then a final interview in NZ (Ashburton). He does have the additional skills in financial planning they are looking to expand in. He absolutely loved the area, the people, the job so we're really thrilled.

It is very difficult to get in to NZ it seems unless you have a job. I am a teacher and so there was always the possibility that I would be granted the 6 months to find work option from NZIS but we have two young children and at the moment ideally I'd like not to have to work. But we both have degrees, post graduate qualifications 20 + years work experience etc. and yet still, without a job we would not get in - are people finding this ?. Over in NZ the colleagues of my husbands partners were joking that they wouldn't qualify to get into NZ at the moment ! Are you looking to find a job ?
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

We are not sure whether to go for the business route or to go for General skills. I am veering towards general skills ATM but am just worried about going, not getting a job and then having to come home. Thanks for letting me know how you went about getting your job - it is very useful to know.

Regards,
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 3:27 am
Just Joined

fysio2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jackee
He is an accountant. He went out to Auckland a month or so ago enticed by the emailed promises of lots of job leads from an Auckland based recruitment consultant. When he arrived the leads evaporated and she was really useless. However, undeterred (and that's the way to be!) he did see a job advertised and applied, including a very detailed questionnaire type document he had originally prepared at the suggestion of the RC. He had Two 1hr + telephone interviews with the partners and then a final interview in NZ (Ashburton). He does have the additional skills in financial planning they are looking to expand in. He absolutely loved the area, the people, the job so we're really thrilled.

It is very difficult to get in to NZ it seems unless you have a job. I am a teacher and so there was always the possibility that I would be granted the 6 months to find work option from NZIS but we have two young children and at the moment ideally I'd like not to have to work. But we both have degrees, post graduate qualifications 20 + years work experience etc. and yet still, without a job we would not get in - are people finding this ?. Over in NZ the colleagues of my husbands partners were joking that they wouldn't qualify to get into NZ at the moment ! Are you looking to find a job ?
Jackee,
My husband, son and I would also like to emigrate and too come up with too little points - 26 instead of the necessary 29 as we are too old (46). In the other categories we "max-out". I understand that if you are within 5 points you can go for 6 months as you said to find a job. But what I am wondering is if THE KIDS can go to schools and are you eligible for health-care? Both my husband's and my professions (physio and chief information officer (it) are on the shortage list. Do you know about this. It is of course risky to head out there, move everything and not be sure to get jobs. Would love to compare notes. Cheers.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by fysio2
Jackee,
My husband, son and I would also like to emigrate and too come up with too little points - 26 instead of the necessary 29 as we are too old (46). In the other categories we "max-out". I understand that if you are within 5 points you can go for 6 months as you said to find a job. But what I am wondering is if THE KIDS can go to schools and are you eligible for health-care? Both my husband's and my professions (physio and chief information officer (it) are on the shortage list. Do you know about this. It is of course risky to head out there, move everything and not be sure to get jobs. Would love to compare notes. Cheers.
Hi - yes only because you have professions on the shortage list can you go out for 6 months. I agree it is very risky. I must admit I wouldn't do it because of the children altho' others on the forum wouldn't agree ! Why doesn't one of you do a reckie as we did ?- after all only one of you needs the job and counts as applicant. I'm sure you will secure work. Everyone talks about the skills shortage out there and I think your chances of securing work are greater if you are there face - face. Goodluck and keep me posted.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

fysio2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for reply, but tell me what is a "reckie"? (assume trip out there to scout out possibilities?)
Being a physio helps, just received e-mails from employment agencies stating as long as I get registration there should be no problem getting a job. We thought about going with hubbie as main applicant but if have a job although I have fewer years work experience in total I will enough points (job other + can count work experience not related to physio work).
I hope this makes sense. Cheers.