Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work Opportunities for Woman - Help

Work Opportunities for Woman - Help

Old May 9th 2008, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Work Opportunities for Woman - Help

My youngest will be starting school next year and as I have been at home for the last 9 years I would love to find part time work. I would need to do some type of course to brush up on my computer skills.
Is there anybody out there who could recommend a course for me to do. I live on the Upper North Shore, Sydney.
Thank's

Old May 9th 2008, 6:41 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Opportunities for Woman - Help

Originally Posted by Pisces
Is there anybody out there who could recommend a course for me to do. I live on the Upper North Shore, Sydney.
Here in Perth, both the local TAFE and the universities offer basic, intermediate and advanced courses for Word, Excel, MYOB etc. Some you can even do online from home. Have a look on www.google.com.au for your local TAFE and nearest university and then have a look on their websites (look for headings like "extension courses" and "adult education").

Gina
Old May 9th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Community Colleges also have IT skills courses - this is probably your local one:
http://www.macquarie.nsw.edu.au/inde...&action=course
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:29 am
Just Joined

amazed is an unknown quantity at this point

My youngest will be starting school next year and as I have been at home for the last 9 years I would love to find part time work. I would need to do some type of course to brush up on my computer skills.
Thank's

I too had been out of the workplace for 10 years when we arrived here in 2004 .I did a womens return to the workplace (WOW)course at my local illawarra TAFE . it was free and lasted 2 terms part time. it included computer skills,writing a resume, OH&S and OZ work legislation, senior first aid (saving me $140 if i'd had to do a stand alone course) plus a work experience placement . it was a great way of meeting people and gave me skills and confidence to get back to work. 75% of the other women on my course had jobs within 2 months of completion , some in the place they had done their work placement and a year on we are all working and still meet up.the help we got with job applications ,writing criteria statements and inteview techniques was really good and the course was fun too. check out your local TAFE, as this is still running in our area, but the eligibility for places may vary from area to area
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank's

WE have just arrived here and my wife was out of the office environment for 3 years. There are lots of part time office admin positions available in the north shore/northern beaches areas, check your local free paper. We live in Manly and she sent off her CV on Wed for a junior office admin role (I personally think she is better than that but her confidence is a bit low due to the move etc) and she had the interview today, they called this afternoon and she has the job!! One of the reasons they picked her was for her maturity so give it a go and just fly off your CV to loads of places, you never know!
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:56 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

It's great to hear all these positive posts, i have been out of the work place for 3.5yr and am also worried. I will have young children 1 3yr and 1 16months, so i don't think that will fair well to a potential employer. But evening work and evening work would do to begin with, i think as long as you are willing to do anything you have to succeed...and just think if you get a job that you are too qualified for take it just to get into the workplace and then move later on