Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Work Not Included"

"Work Not Included"

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:20 pm
Ken

Default "Work Not Included"

Most of the posts are related to those in the process of moving or already made the move and as far as I can see a major factor was work related. If work was not an issue, i.e “done that and got the watch�, where would the majority settle in Oz and why?

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Work is not really an issue for us as we are hoping to open a business, or go into property.

We have had the fortune of being able to choose any where in Aus to live and have decided the Sunshine Coast lifestyle will suit us the most.

The sun, and and surf should suit us down to the ground as we love the outdoors life. I suppose it depends on what you like, some people can't stand the heat so it would not really be a good area for them.

Even if I was restricted by work I would be happy to live most places out there rather than over here!!
Old Mar 24th 2003, 3:15 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Work Not Included"

Originally posted by Ken
Most of the posts are related to those in the process of moving or already made the move and as far as I can see a major factor was work related. If work was not an issue, i.e “done that and got the watch�, where would the majority settle in Oz and why?
If I thought that Australia was for me I would settle nowhere but tour all of it in a camper van its far too big a land mass to get stuck in one place , the distances make travel hard and expensive why not move your home to suit your needs rather than pay out to holiday.

Old Mar 24th 2003, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ken
France (just joking)

Interesting question. Most of the people immigrating seem to be doing so mainly as they can only afford modest homes in the UK. Do the wealthy emigrate here? I have not met any. Getting a bigger house for your money seems the main reason.

Whos seen a post "Hi me and the Missus are brain surgeons, live in million quid house in Surrey and we are soon off to Oz for the Sun." I bet those that rich would not need to travel to the other side of the world and make the huge sacrifices (family Wages etc) needed to live here.

Its a funny old thing too that the aussies who make it big often split and live in the USA or the UK (or france).

Rich and famous come out of the woodwork own up now, I bet Scooby do is probably a code name for Andrew Lloyd Webber. Posh and Becks are probably posing as Pommies favourite, Hairdressers, to get in, and Blair and his missus are looking at a nice little retirement shack in Bayside Brissie.

I know the post is hyperthetical (cant spell that one), but it makes you think eh?
Old Mar 24th 2003, 4:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ken
If I had to settle here forever ( :scared: ) - it would be back to Newcastle in NSW for me (I'm in Brisbane , lived in Newcastle for about a year and enjoyed it down there - very down to earth people) (I'm just going on where I've lived) -

Wouldn't mind going to see Tasmania - but I can't comment on the place - I've never been there
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

TinaJ's reply is the same has mine would be but again work for us is not an issue. We have picked the sunshine coast also.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

sorry no truth be know I would like to own a B & B business on Watego's beach in Byron Bay with that view, mmmmm heaven.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Having travelled round Australia, all but up the top to Darwin. We found that Perth was the way of life for us , very laid back way of life and not all that over populated yet either. The beaches are lovely and also very empty.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 9:24 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Tasmania is very nice (snowed when we were there last). So like the streets of Cornwall and Devon it makes you think you are home (well the Southern peoples anyway).
Due to the winding streets the car hire companies give you a lecture on how to drive on their 'special problem' roads as there are so many accidents - due to holiday makers not being used to bends in the narrow roads.

I suppose weather wise it would not be much different to the north island of NZ. We enjoyed it but were only there for a week. Perhaps it is the place for those who want to leave UK but don't fancy too hot a climate
Old Mar 25th 2003, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Carrianne
TinaJ's reply is the same has mine would be but again work for us is not an issue. We have picked the sunshine coast also.
I was wondering what is the context of "Work is not an issue" does it mean you dont care what you do or that you are so financial that you dont need to work?
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Ianrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really nice

Originally posted by dotty
I was wondering what is the context of "Work is not an issue" does it mean you dont care what you do or that you are so financial that you dont need to work?

Hi Dotty

For us it means we can afford to buy a house which would only be a dream over here in the U.K, for the same price as our 2 bedroom semi.
Basically it means we have no mortgage and the pressure of work is not so great as house is paid.In other words,we could take a lesser paid job as the house is paid and we have a roof over our head.

Cheers

Iain
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ianrpm
Hi Dotty

For us it means we can afford to buy a house which would only be a dream over here in the U.K, for the same price as our 2 bedroom semi.
Basically it means we have no mortgage and the pressure of work is not so great as house is paid.In other words,we could take a lesser paid job as the house is paid and we have a roof over our head.

Cheers

Iain
Nice dream many have tried it before you , I have will a little bet with you and have never lost this one yet , with in 2 years you will have a bigger mortgage in Australia more debt and less to spend , its the trap most fall into.

Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Ianrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really nice

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Nice dream many have tried it before you , I have will a little bet with you and have never lost this one yet , with in 2 years you will have a bigger mortgage in Australia more debt and less to spend , its the trap most fall into.

Ok PB

Ya got me.
Let me dream for a minute.
Actually the idea is to get a mortgage and use my capital for something else.

Cheers
Iain
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:15 am
Banned

Ok PB

Ya got me.

Cheers
Iain
Yes good idea if you have good advice watch the buggers out here they empty your pockets while filling your head with bull.
Still think my bets safe met far too many who would have paid off their mortgages off in the UK , now are looking at getting them paid off by 70 years old and counting , never got a bean in their pockets or the bank but have houses they cannot afford to run and cars on the drip.

Old Mar 25th 2003, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Ok PB

Ya got me.

Cheers
Iain
I also think if people have that much money why would they sink it all on a buying a house?? get a morgage, pay down the debt from the Interest that will come from an Investment, In fact go see a well established invester in England and set up your portfollo befor you leave..
There are lots of safe investments out there I would never use my money that way. when the house is paid for you will still have the principle............

On the other hand if people just want to be free of debt instantly,
and go to the beach, and let the future take care of itself. they are very brave indeed.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.