Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work, Motivation and Clock Watching

Work, Motivation and Clock Watching

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Skunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work, Motivation and Clock Watching

Ever since we confirmed our date to move to Australia by booking the one way Flights, I have lost all interest in work!

Terrible really, but I don’t have a lot of Motivation for it and there is still 5 months to go!!!,

I get side tracked so so easily at work and on a regular basis my mind just drifts off to my “happy place”

I never used to be like this, I used to enjoy getting up for work and the working day used to fly by. Not now.

Mind you there is a bank holiday coming up, so that’s one day less! Is it 5.00pm yet?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:39 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Work, Motivation and Clock Watching

Originally Posted by Skunk
Ever since we confirmed our date to move to Australia by booking the one way Flights, I have lost all interest in work!

Terrible really, but I don’t have a lot of Motivation for it and there is still 5 months to go!!!,

I get side tracked so so easily at work and on a regular basis my mind just drifts off to my “happy place”

I never used to be like this, I used to enjoy getting up for work and the working day used to fly by. Not now.

Mind you there is a bank holiday coming up, so that’s one day less! Is it 5.00pm yet?
When I came back to Blighty last year, my last few months at work were the same.

Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Merlot
When I came back to Blighty last year, my last few months at work were the same.

Merlot

Tell me about it! I'm heading over in Sept and I just can't think of anything else - I guess I'm lucky as being a teacher at least I'll have all the hols to look forward to before I go (give me time to sort everything out before I go). Sometimes I get down thinking about how long away it seems to be and feel like I'm counting my life away and then I remember what I've got to look forward to - thats how I deal with it. Don't you ever feel like you're just going to burst? Sometimes I get so excited about it all I feel like I could explode - can you tell I'm fed up over here?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I cross each day off on my calendar and list the weeks left in the UK in my diary - 31 weeks, 30 weeks left on Monday. Also in the same boat!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well one way to motivate yourself is to realise that if you want a job in Oz, you are going need a good reference from the last job you had in the UK.

We had to wait two years, and in that time had to knock our socks off in various projects. Though it was really tempting to lay back and say it wasn't our problem, it was. If the project screwed up, our references would have looked really bad.

And in Oz, they DO check your references,

It motivated us,

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well one way to motivate yourself is to realise that if you want a job in Oz, you are going need a good reference from the last job you had in the UK.

We had to wait two years, and in that time had to knock our socks off in various projects. Though it was really tempting to lay back and say it wasn't our problem, it was. If the project screwed up, our references would have looked really bad.

And in Oz, they DO check your references,

It motivated us,

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
JTL
I know what you mean, though I should be working for myself in Aus.

But I dont want to burn all my Bridges, I am concentrating (or trying to) on the Projects the matter. Sort of working smarter, rather then harder, well thats the Plan!. Then if I do need references they should be ok
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:34 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Same here. Ever since we got our visas (if truth be told, ever since we first applied), I've been counting the days till I go. The end is in sight and can't come soon enough. Working with pillocks,who I'll be glad to see the back of, oesn't help either.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Carl B
Same here. Ever since we got our visas (if truth be told, ever since we first applied), I've been counting the days till I go. The end is in sight and can't come soon enough. Working with pillocks,who I'll be glad to see the back of, oesn't help either.
I know exactly where you are coming from. I have lost all interest in work and just can't wait to get out of this country!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Not so much lost interest, just not getting too fussed about things anymore. Before I always had to be at the forefront of everything that was going on, making sure I wasn't getting left behind at all, which meant getting involved in all the office politics. Now, I just come in, get on with it, and when people start to annoy me I just think 5 months to go and I'm outta here.......not my problem !!

The thing I'm finding is that cause we're not leaving til October it's too early to start organising a lot of things. So apart from booking our flights and doing lots of research we're kind of twiddling our thumbs but thinking we should be doing stuff ! Everyone keeps asking 'how are your plans going' and we don't have much to tell them.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

owleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Not so much lost interest, just not getting too fussed about things anymore. Before I always had to be at the forefront of everything that was going on, making sure I wasn't getting left behind at all, which meant getting involved in all the office politics. Now, I just come in, get on with it, and when people start to annoy me I just think 5 months to go and I'm outta here.......not my problem !!

The thing I'm finding is that cause we're not leaving til October it's too early to start organising a lot of things. So apart from booking our flights and doing lots of research we're kind of twiddling our thumbs but thinking we should be doing stuff ! Everyone keeps asking 'how are your plans going' and we don't have much to tell them.

I handed in my 4 weeks notice before we got the visas finalised - I'm going on a 457 visa and was told it would come pretty quickly. However it has been delayed quite a while because of the need for further medical reports on my partner as he was in hospital last year. I was incredibly busy in work before I left and thought I would really miss the work, being busy, the gossip, politics etc.

However I've been off for three weeks now and not missing it one bit! Really enjoying being a lady of leisure.

However, we can't book the flights, shipping etc. until we are sure we get the visas. So the waiting is killing me. I'm desparate to book things but can't in case there is any more delay - or (horror of horrors) we get refused.

I agree about getting good references as in my case my Australian employer took up references without me knowing, before I was selected for interview.

Cheers,
Cat
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:32 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Skunk,

I've been like it for 15 months now.

Getting into work on time is hard, dooing some is even harder!

only about another 12 months to go

Bye
Mark
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:55 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Skunk,

I've been like it for 15 months now.

Getting into work on time is hard, dooing some is even harder!

only about another 12 months to go

Bye
Mark

I still have a long way to go before I can enter OZ, but i look at all those ppl moaning about the same work related things everyday but do nothing about it. I just think to myself, when I go and return in say 5 years they will still be sitting there moaning about the same things as when I left.

You just gotta keep reminding yourself better things lie ahead....
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:03 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

I know exactly how you feel. People also treat you differently when they know you are going. One cow in work is in line for my permanent job when I leave and has made my life hell since September. I used to love my job now I hate it. The worst part is that we haven't sold the house yet so haven't even got a leaving date.
Keep going to your "happy place" and I'm sure time will fly.
Sarah
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Glad to see its not only me, also know what you mean about working with some right Tw*ts

thanks for the replies
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I've always been a lazy git but it's even worse now.

Had the visas since Jan 04, validated in Feb 04 but decided to stay in UK while wife does her nurse training.

So, 1 year later, still at least 2 more years to wait before we go. It's doing my head in !

I work on contract (CAD draughtsman, Shell oil refinery) so thought I'd get back into more interesting work that will be useful for OZ (commercial/residential/retail buildings) but then the job got stopped and ended up back where I was when I began the application process 2 years ago!
I like the people here but just can't get motivated, keep thinking "just 2 more years" and if work runs out I can just move on to another contract.

But hey, at least summer's comin' ! can't spend any money cos saving for Oz to pay off debts !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.