Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work info request- not sure this is legal- any thoughts

Work info request- not sure this is legal- any thoughts

Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work info request- not sure this is legal- any thoughts

I have been asked by someone I know to work with them (big company and have worked there before).

But I have to go through a big consultancy who in turn are using a recruitment agency.

As part of the 'acceptance process' (by the consultancy, who I have never dealt with before) I have to complete a background check.

They want address info for 10 years + my DOB + passport details + driving licence + mothers maiden name + NI number for UK... this makes me very uncomfortable as this is too much info, and sort of makes me think of ID fraud. Has anyone every had to complete such a detailed check for work.

The company I would be working for know exactly who I am and have my TFN and my NI number, passport number, but I do not want to share some much detailed info with 3 other third parties- the data collection co, recruitment co and consultancy.

What should I do?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work info request- not sure this is legal- any thoughts

Ask them why they need it?

Share your concerns with the person who has asked you to do the job.

Did they really ask for your mother's maiden name? That above anything else concerns me as it is such a common security question and cannot possibly be required for background checking on you.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I would request in writing what systems they have in place to protect the data and request they sign either a waiver form (so you need not provide the details) or a letter attaining to potential liability of $10 million AUD if the information is found to be passed on to other parties, lost or misplaced.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've been asked to do one of those checks twice. I think they're becoming more common, nowadays. Is it FADV doing it?

I didn't like the questions either and managed to get the first request waived.

The second time I had to do it but as I'd been at the same address for over 10 years it was just a formality and I didn't actually need to provide that much info.

I was working for a Big 4 bank.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I've been asked to do one of those checks twice. I think they're becoming more common, nowadays. Is it FADV doing it?

It is FADV- wonder if they are American and it is a catch all.

I will be working (via a consultancy) for the same company I worked for for the last 10 years- until I took redundancy, so not sure what they are looking to check.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
It is FADV- wonder if they are American and it is a catch all.

I will be working (via a consultancy) for the same company I worked for for the last 10 years- until I took redundancy, so not sure what they are looking to check.
I think they're definitely American. They have offices all over the states, Canada, Europe, Asia etc. Pretty much global.

My circumstances were similar to yours. I worked indirectly for this bank for over 10 years and wasn't required to verify anything. Then as soon as I was offered a contract with them (on the strength of my previous association) I was asked for this check. It was bizarre.

My understanding is they can verify identity, check CVs (for lies!), drug use (!), criminal checks etc. Anything the employer wants, really.

Last edited by NickyC; Mar 15th 2013 at 2:02 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
I have been asked by someone I know to work with them (big company and have worked there before).

But I have to go through a big consultancy who in turn are using a recruitment agency.

As part of the 'acceptance process' (by the consultancy, who I have never dealt with before) I have to complete a background check.

They want address info for 10 years + my DOB + passport details + driving licence + mothers maiden name + NI number for UK... this makes me very uncomfortable as this is too much info, and sort of makes me think of ID fraud. Has anyone every had to complete such a detailed check for work.

The company I would be working for know exactly who I am and have my TFN and my NI number, passport number, but I do not want to share some much detailed info with 3 other third parties- the data collection co, recruitment co and consultancy.

What should I do?
Does the job have anything to do with security issues, like airport access etc? If so then this kind of info required would be standard. I had airside access at Gatwick and Stansted and had to provide similar.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Does the job have anything to do with security issues, like airport access etc? If so then this kind of info required would be standard. I had airside access at Gatwick and Stansted and had to provide similar.
No-involves no security other than standard business intelligence. Certainly not a high risk area...just consultants being belt and braces approach. The war on terror seems to also impact mundane areas of work!