Reload this Page >

Work for HGV drivers???

Work for HGV drivers???

Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

lou_pete will become famous soon enough
Smile Work for HGV drivers???

Hi all,
We are currently in the process of moving to oz. I am a nurse, my husband is a HGV driver. We have 2 kids aged 3 and 5. What we would like to know, if any of you fine people can tell us, is how much work is available for pete (hubby)? We are relocating to Melbourne or just outside.
Any advice would be smashing. Hope someone can help!!!
Thanks loads. It's so scarey, but very exciting!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

gormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nicegormac is just really nice
Default Re: Work for HGV drivers???

Hi dont know about the work situation but he will have to take a wee test again i,m led to believe Gormac
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:20 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lou_pete
Hi all,
We are currently in the process of moving to oz. I am a nurse, my husband is a HGV driver. We have 2 kids aged 3 and 5. What we would like to know, if any of you fine people can tell us, is how much work is available for pete (hubby)? We are relocating to Melbourne or just outside.
Any advice would be smashing. Hope someone can help!!!
Thanks loads. It's so scarey, but very exciting!!!!
Plenty of work about - no bother there. He will need to re-take his test again though. I had held mine for 16 years and it aint worth a jot out here!!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

lou_pete will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Plenty of work about - no bother there. He will need to re-take his test again though. I had held mine for 16 years and it aint worth a jot out here!!
Cheers for that. I just hope its not as expensive as here to retake!
Thanks fluffy, you're a love.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by lou_pete
Cheers for that. I just hope its not as expensive as here to retake!
Thanks fluffy, you're a love.
You can work on an estimate of about 6-8 hours worth of lessons (the roads are a bit different out here) and there's the road ranger gearbox to get used to. Lessons are around $130 an hour if memory serves me correctly and the test is $350 ish (including a 1 hr lesson beforehand).
If you put $1500-2000 aside you should be right.

(Above figures are based on QLD prices - not sure what it's like in Mellie)
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Does anybody know of any employers who would be willing to sponsor a very experienced HGV/ADR driver on a 457 visa?

Thanks,
Ren
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hi,

Does anybody know of any employers who would be willing to sponsor a very experienced HGV/ADR driver on a 457 visa?

Thanks,
Ren
There are probably 1 or 2 somewhere in the middle of nowhere with jobs that are sooo bad that the locals wont touch them (yes, there are some seriously crap jobs in the transport industry out here), but...............

Ask yourself this, do you want to be treated like a 4th rate citizen, work 16 hour days, 7 days a week for half the money that other drivers are on?

Seriously mate, you have to be pretty desperate or deluded to come out here as a sponsored truck driver, it's bad enough as a Permanent resident.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you fluffy.

Its not for me, its for my brother. Wants to follow us to oz and that would be his only hope. Looks slim though. He has also been looking at Canada. Apparently they are crying out for truckers there, but nobody answers any sodding emails!!!

Will keep trying.

Thanks again,
Ren
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by RenShen
Thank you fluffy.

Its not for me, its for my brother. Wants to follow us to oz and that would be his only hope. Looks slim though. He has also been looking at Canada. Apparently they are crying out for truckers there, but nobody answers any sodding emails!!!

Will keep trying.

Thanks again,
Ren
Have a look in the BE Truckers forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118

A lot of guys in there are either going to Canada or are already there. Some good info re: companies to work for or not to work for and contact info.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:44 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Also his ADR wouldn't be valid here - he'll have to take the Aussie equivalent to be compliant