Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work, family and everything!

Work, family and everything!

Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:29 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice
Default Work, family and everything!

hi everyone,
We're suffering from a bit of uncertainty at the mo.

We have just spent a day at my in laws and had such a wonderful time that we have come back feeling dreadful that we are planning to leave. Our sons are 3 and 5 and adore their grandparents and vice versa. The in laws have told us that they are devastated that we are leaving and we are now feeling bad that we will be depriving our kids of the great relationship they have with their grandparents. I know we can email and send photos and use Skype (if I can ever get it to load without crashing!) but its not the same as being able to give them a hug.

To make matters worse, when my hubby resigned this week certain that we were doing the right thing in moving, his work have offered him an amazing job so he is now torn about going. We have to give a definite answer tomorrow morning on whether we are staying or going. Help!

How has anyone managed the grandparents relationship once in Oz? How do you choose career v lifestyle? We have spent the entire weekend talking through this and are starting to doubt what we even want to do now.

Feels like we are going mad! All suggestions gratefully welcomed!

Nik
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:38 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work, family and everything!

Originally Posted by nik
hi everyone,

We have just spent a day at my in laws and had such a wonderful time that we have come back feeling dreadful that we are planning to leave. Our sons are 3 and 5 and adore their grandparents and vice versa. The in laws have told us that they are devastated that we are leaving and we are now feeling bad that we will be depriving our kids of the great relationship they have with their grandparents. I know we can email and send photos and use Skype (if I can ever get it to load without crashing!) but its not the same as being able to give them a hug.

To make matters worse, when my hubby resigned this week certain that we were doing the right thing in moving, his work have offered him an amazing job so he is now torn about going. We have to give a definite answer tomorrow morning on whether we are staying or going. Help!

How has anyone managed the grandparents relationship once in Oz? How do you choose career v lifestyle? We have spent the entire weekend talking through this and are starting to doubt what we even want to do now.

Nik

Nik, first of all I would think about all the reasons that you wanted to emigrate in the first place.

I dont have kids but the child-grandparent relationship must work for loads out there although there is no denying that it wont be easy.

With regards to the job and forgetting everything else, if a simple thing such as your hubbys job was the ONLY reason you were emigrating then you need to rethink your choice.

When you decided to emigrate, was your husbands job a reason for you going?

Because now they have offered him promotion, if thats your main reason (excluding grandparents) for staying, then have a long hard think.

Opportunities like migration don't come around for everyone nor do they come around very often.

If your husbands employer value him that much, perhaps an equally good promotional opportunity would be on offer if say you couldnt settle in Australia and had to come back.

He could take the job and hate it, it could not work out and one day you might find yourself thinking you had wished you had taken the chance to try a new life.

With the grandparents, that is hard whatever way you are looking at it.

You will be giving your children opportunities that perhaps they never had, and whilst its hard to leave parents behind, there is no way your kids will forget them.

I would grab your chance. Jobs come and go and your husband is obviously well respected in his profession.

Chances to emigrate are scarce and after all, it can be as long as you want it to be.

Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:45 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice really but just wanted to say I feel for you. We're planning on going to Oz and our 4 year old is so close to my in-laws and he's such a massive part of their life being the only grandchild. They're the only people who we trust to leave him with so it's going to be so tough leaving them, all three of us will miss them and my little un is going to be heartbroken.

On the flip side, we're doing this to provide our son with a better life - children adapt well and I know the in-laws will do their best to visit as much as possible.

We'll miss them and they'll miss us but like they said to us - you want your children to do better than you and they only wish they'd had the same chance as us....

Kath x
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I dont have kids but the child-grandparent relationship must work for loads out there although there is no denying that it wont be easy.

With regards to the job and forgetting everything else, if a simple thing such as your hubbys job was the ONLY reason you were emigrating then you need to rethink your choice.

When you decided to emigrate, was your husbands job a reason for you going?

Because now they have offered him promotion, if thats your main reason (excluding grandparents) for staying, then have a long hard think.
A job should never be a reason for emigrating - there are less drastic ways of resolving a situation where you don't like your job.

It's not unknown for employers to respond to a resignation announcement with a pay rise or promotion - however, often the employee ends up leaving within a year or so anyway.

With the grandparents, that is hard whatever way you are looking at it.

You will be giving your children opportunities that perhaps they never had, and whilst its hard to leave parents behind, there is no way your kids will forget them.

I would grab your chance. Jobs come and go and your husband is obviously well respected in his profession.

Chances to emigrate are scarce and after all, it can be as long as you want it to be.

Good luck.
I would echo all of this. Not only that - think ahead 10-20 years when your family situation will be different and any chances to emigrate (as a skilled worker) long gone.

Do you want to spend the rest of your lives thinking "we could have gone to Australia?" Well, maybe you do - migration is not for everyone, as numerous accounts on this forum and others can demonstrate.

Think long and think hard before deciding what to do. Think about what you want to get out of emigration. And if emigration is really not what you want, then you should forget about the idea. And if it is what you want - then you need to go ahead, but do stick with it - there's nothing worse than uprooting yourself and then wanting to come 'home' after a few months.

At least if you get citizenship after a few years you will have the option to come back for a while if family circumstances demand. But citizenship can only have value to you if you want to live in Australia in the long term.

Jeremy
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:04 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A job should never be a reason for emigrating - there are less drastic ways of resolving a situation where you don't like your job.

Jeremy

Thats what I meant. I reckon the very fact a job offer has effected their possible migration, makes me think they need to think long and hard about making the move.

A job offer shouldnt easily sway someons future and stop them starting a new life in Australia. If it does, then perhaps their reasons for going were not as valid as they thought.

My husband said whatever or how ever much that his company offered him, it wouldnt make him change his mind.

This and others, were questions we asked ourselves and established right from the start.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:27 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Work, family and everything!

Hi,

We migrated a year ago with 4 children leaving my mum and the guilt is there. However, I am so proud of the life we are giving the children. They have so many opportunities and a totally different way of living now that we feel are positive. the webcam/phonecalls are no substitution for a Grandma's hug but they at least keep a relationship going. It may sound cold but I don't regret it, my mum has been supportive on the whole which helps. i want to give the kids the kind of start in life that Australia offers and couldn't contemplate staying in the UK.

Our life is so much more relaxed and family focused. No more hanging around for the odd family get together, we're off socilaising all the time.

As for career. Do we live to work or work to live????? Just my opinion

Good luck with your decision whatever it is.

Phil x
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:30 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]Thats what I meant. I reckon the very fact a job offer has effected their possible migration, makes me think they need to think long and hard about making the move.

A job offer shouldnt easily sway someons future and stop them starting a new life in Australia. If it does, then perhaps their reasons for going were not as valid as they thought.
QUOTE]

Yes I do agree to an extent. It's not always so cut and dried though, it's human nature for us to doubt ourselves - not everyone is the same I know but when you can see you're hurting people such as grandparents and can foresee the heartbreak in your children you have to be very very strong to stand by your decisions. You have to dig deep and remember that you are doing it to better your life for yourself and your family but leaving people behind is a hefty price to pay.

Certain things are bound to make you think "am I really doing the right thing" a fantastic job offer is a really big thing, they don't come along very often so I can understand that combined with the worries of leaving family it's going to hit you pretty hard. But then again, the chance to migrate doesn't come along very often and I know which one I'd choose - I could cope a lot better with the 'I wish I'd taken that job' than I could with 'I wish I'd gone to Oz when I was able to'.

I imagine that when you're so close to going things must get pretty emotional and it's no wonder that things can sway you and you start panicking you're doing the wrong thing. I guess it's cold feet, pre migration jitters. I envy people who are 100% sure they're doing the right thing and don't have any doubts whatsoever, it must be a great feeling.

If only we could see into the future eh then we'd not have to go through these worries.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nik
hi everyone,

Nik

Why did you want to go and does it still stand. Make your choice from that! No one can help you with the decision as you only get one life, do what you feel is right! Don't think this forum is the place to ask for advice, too many bias opinions . Good luck in whatever you decide and what ever life brings
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by philian4
Hi,

We migrated a year ago with 4 children leaving my mum and the guilt is there. However, I am so proud of the life we are giving the children. They have so many opportunities and a totally different way of living now that we feel are positive. the webcam/phonecalls are no substitution for a Grandma's hug but they at least keep a relationship going. It may sound cold but I don't regret it, my mum has been supportive on the whole which helps. i want to give the kids the kind of start in life that Australia offers and couldn't contemplate staying in the UK.

Our life is so much more relaxed and family focused. No more hanging around for the odd family get together, we're off socilaising all the time.

As for career. Do we live to work or work to live????? Just my opinion

Good luck with your decision whatever it is.

Phil x
awww best advice so far...i think...good luck to you
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nik
hi everyone,

Nik
Nik,

I know we've exchanged PMs so apologies for some duplication.

We were in a similar position - in that we questioned the move on a number of occassions. We had a 3 and a 5 year old. Both were very happy at school & nursery and both had some very good friends. Both sets of Grandparents dote on the kids so we knew this would be particularly tough. My Mother has no other grandchildren and is not too well off so we knew trips out to see us would be limited to once or twice a year. Her Grandchildren are the most important things in her life (her words) so we knew we would break her heart. Kim is extremely close to her parents and so this was also very difficult for her. She was used to seeing her mum every other weekend and we often made use of the inlaws for babysitting etc (even though they were 1.5 hours drive away). We also went on hols from time to time with our parents and from a selfish perspective we would miss the help, support and the babysitting !!

During the process to come out here we had countless problems and I was offered a job in London and another in Texas for more (much) money than Australia. We had one particularly massive problem which led to us (briefly) deciding to stay. It was on my Mothers advice that we finally went for it. She knew this was a fabulous opportunity and we would regret not going and did not want us to stay for her.

My Mother visited for 4 weeks in October and is coming back in March. My inlaws leave tonight after being here for 7 weeks. Both families now realise why we are here and both said "you and the kids will have a wonderful life out here". We make a big effort through phone, email, website (we have our own website - really easy to set up via MSN), web cam and visits.

Believe me it is/can be a difficult process. It is especially hard leaving friends and family - hard on them and on you - and being so far away is not easy. However, we knew this was an incredible opportunity and one we would regret turning down. The lifestyle and the opportunities out here are incredible. It is extremely child friendly and we do so much more now as a family.

I realise we made the right move when I see the kids wandering back from the beach, barefoot, in wetsuits and carrying their body boards ! The kids are having tennis lessons, golf lessons and both can now swim. We go biking most weeks, we have a BBQ most weekends and are visiting beaches, rainforests, islands and sights we could have only dreamt of.

Ultimately we made a lifestyle choice. The money is ok here but career opportunities are obviously more limited and I will not make as much as I did in London. However, I'm home by 6.45pm most nights and instead of having to stay indoors (dark & cold !) for the hour before bed we take the kids to the beach or go for a cycle. There are so many options and things to do out here with the wee ones that we never ever lack for places to go (there is a free 60 page magazine that comes out each month aimed at families with listings of things to do, see, buy, watch, make etc in around Melbourne - fabulous !) And when you get to parks, beaches, events etc there is nowhere near the same numbers of people you get at home - so much more enjoyable.

We will sit down after 18 months and decided whether to stay on. If we are unhappy we will consider going home. And if we do at least we had an incredible adventure. If not we'll stay and keep evaluating things from time to time. UK will always be home and I guess we will always miss it to an extent.

It sounds like your husband has a couple of good options. Why not come out to Oz, see how you get on and make the most of it. If it doesn't work out at least you will have given it a go and can return home with no regrets.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers,
Colin
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:13 pm
Gill Palmer

Originally Posted by nik
hi everyone,

Nik
Dear Nik

I agree with JAJ 100%. There are less drastic ways of dumping an unsatisfactory employer, in my experience. I'd suggest saving the pennies from the Promotion towards the price of a trip to to Oz for a good look-see holiday before you even consider the idea of permanent migration.

Cheers

Gill

Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:33 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gill Palmer
Dear Nik

I agree with JAJ 100%. There are less drastic ways of dumping an unsatisfactory employer, in my experience. I'd suggest saving the pennies from the Promotion towards the price of a trip to to Oz for a good look-see holiday before you even consider the idea of permanent migration.

Cheers

Gill
Hi Gill
I agree with you. We have spent days going round the houses trying to decide what to do and couldn't come up with the answer. We have just spent a month in NZ and before we left my hubby asked his work to look at his future prospects there as he is quite senior and wanted his next move up. When we got back with hubby ready to hand his notice in (as he had got himself a job in Oz), his boss told him that they were going to promote him to being a Director. Big move! The job in the UK is a brilliant opportunity for him and much better than the job in Oz. We have eventually decided to take the job now and put the Oz plans off for a couple of years. That way we can really take some time to be sure its what we want. I am disappointed that we are not going, but would have felt bad if I had denied hubby this opportunity.

It is probably the most difficult decision we have had to make.

Thanks for your kind words of advice

Nik x
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nik
Hi Gill
I agree with you. We have spent days going round the houses trying to decide what to do and couldn't come up with the answer. We have just spent a month in NZ and before we left my hubby asked his work to look at his future prospects there as he is quite senior and wanted his next move up. When we got back with hubby ready to hand his notice in (as he had got himself a job in Oz), his boss told him that they were going to promote him to being a Director. Big move! The job in the UK is a brilliant opportunity for him and much better than the job in Oz. We have eventually decided to take the job now and put the Oz plans off for a couple of years. That way we can really take some time to be sure its what we want. I am disappointed that we are not going, but would have felt bad if I had denied hubby this opportunity.

It is probably the most difficult decision we have had to make.

Thanks for your kind words of advice

Nik x
Nik,

All the very best, I know how tough it can be.

Good luck to you all.