Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

work experience reference check

work experience reference check

Old May 7th 2004, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

moromete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work experience reference check

I want to know what are the risks involved if DIMIA finds out there may be somethink fishy about my references? I worked for almost a year without any legal contract. Even though my ex-employer agreed to give me a reference. What may happen if DIMIA asks me to provide some kind of evidence that i have payed taxes, and I fail to do that? Is it possible that after another year when I will have those necessary 3 years experience my file get rejected because of my previous problems?

P.S. I wonder what Steven O'Neil, George Lombard and the other migration agents think about that, especially from their wide experience...
Old May 7th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough
Default Re: work experience reference check

Originally posted by moromete
I want to know what are the risks involved if DIMIA finds out there may be somethink fishy about my references? I worked for almost a year without any legal contract. Even though my ex-employer agreed to give me a reference. What may happen if DIMIA asks me to provide some kind of evidence that i have payed taxes, and I fail to do that? Is it possible that after another year when I will have those necessary 3 years experience my file get rejected because of my previous problems?

P.S. I wonder what Steven O'Neil, George Lombard and the other migration agents think about that, especially from their wide experience...
As far as I'm aware DIMIA are not concerned with your tax situation at all and will not investigate whether your taxes are in order. They are only interested in your work experience and whether this is legit. As long as your reference is not fabricated you should be ok, DIMIA may contact ex employers to further check references.

Best of luck
CK
Old May 7th 2004, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

moromete is an unknown quantity at this point

How could they know whether the reference is legit or not? Couldn't I just find a friend of mine who has a company to give me a reference, and then to confirm it? I don't think that DIMIA would fall so easy into such a lie. This is why I asked what other proof they may ask. In my country there are some documents to prove that you have a certain working experience, including some sort of a notebook where are registered all your working records.
So besides the confirmation of the reference, in what other ways does DIMIA check the work experience. I mean, come on, somebody could even give a false name, and the telephone number and email address, of a friend, and this means that he would be ok? I don't know, seems so easy to fraud the system.
Old May 7th 2004, 1:56 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

How could they know whether the reference is legit or not? Couldn't I just find a friend of mine who has a company to give me a reference, and then to confirm it? I don't think that DIMIA would fall so easy into such a lie. This is why I asked what other proof they may ask. In my country there are some documents to prove that you have a certain working experience, including some sort of a notebook where are registered all your working records.
So besides the confirmation of the reference, in what other ways does DIMIA check the work experience. I mean, come on, somebody could even give a false name, and the telephone number and email address, of a friend, and this means that he would be ok? I don't know, seems so easy to fraud the system.
A lot of it probably depends on the type of experience you have, who you worked for and what evidence you provide.

I provided detailed job descriptions on headed paper and signed by myself and my line managers. I then backed this up with a letter from personnel covering the whole period stating I was employed there. But then I was working for one the the worlds biggest banks. If it had been some unknown company, they may have asked for more evidence like salary slips.

There was a post a while ago where someone's work was called by the embassy in that country to check references. It does happen. Its your job to convince DIMIA you are being honest. If they catch you, your application will be rejected.
Old May 7th 2004, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all
Default Re: work experience reference check

I put a similar post under immigration section titled "Employment references - Will they know?"

I'd like to know as well.
Old May 7th 2004, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

biba is on a distinguished road

They can send someone to see your boss/ the person that wrote you the reference - that's what happened to me, and I'm not even the main applicant. All went OK as I have nothing to hide, but still a nerve-wrecking experience! I kept thinking why me, and what it all meant. I never heard of anyone going to visit your employer to confirm reference but that's exactly what happened. Apparently they only wanted to confirm my references (which were by the way done in a professional manner, on headed paper etc)

We are skilled ind, applied Aug 03 and still waiting for meds and pcc...

===============

Old May 7th 2004, 4:26 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by biba
They can send someone to see your boss/ the person that wrote you the reference - that's what happened to me, and I'm not even the main applicant. All went OK as I have nothing to hide, but still a nerve-wrecking experience! I kept thinking why me, and what it all meant. I never heard of anyone going to visit your employer to confirm reference but that's exactly what happened. Apparently they only wanted to confirm my references (which were by the way done in a professional manner, on headed paper etc)

We are skilled ind, applied Aug 03 and still waiting for meds and pcc...

===============
that must of been a nightmare for you.......

So what if you dont want to tell your boss you are planning to migrate? I know that Jonathan wont be telling his boss, not untill we have a definate PR visa in our passports anyway!

How does everyone manage to get references from their employers without actually telling them what they are for??

laura
xx
Old May 7th 2004, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

biba is on a distinguished road

You're right, it was a bit of a nightmare, but as I say, nothing to hide so hopefully everything will go smoothly from now on. Only, I know it has definitely slowed down the process as everyone around us - August and September applicants already seem to have received med requests

We even rang Adelaide just to make sure nothing's been sent out on their part (due to problems with post delivery in our area) and were told we don't even have a case officer

As for references, you can tell your boss it's for a visa, maybe not permanent, but a tourist one... that way if/when they ring or come you can always say it's routine...

good luck!

======================

Originally posted by lauralollipop
that must of been a nightmare for you.......

So what if you dont want to tell your boss you are planning to migrate? I know that Jonathan wont be telling his boss, not untill we have a definate PR visa in our passports anyway!

How does everyone manage to get references from their employers without actually telling them what they are for??

laura
xx
Old May 7th 2004, 8:37 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by biba
You're right, it was a bit of a nightmare, but as I say, nothing to hide so hopefully everything will go smoothly from now on. Only, I know it has definitely slowed down the process as everyone around us - August and September applicants already seem to have received med requests

We even rang Adelaide just to make sure nothing's been sent out on their part (due to problems with post delivery in our area) and were told we don't even have a case officer

As for references, you can tell your boss it's for a visa, maybe not permanent, but a tourist one... that way if/when they ring or come you can always say it's routine...

good luck!

======================

well i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.....

laura
x
Old May 7th 2004, 8:52 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you'll find the Immigration staff are pretty good at spotting genuine vs fraudulant documentation. Face it: they deal with these docs every day.

Anything fraudulant-looking gets much closer scrutiny/ investigation.
Old May 7th 2004, 9:06 pm
mark,abbi,tia & max

mark warner is an unknown quantity at this point

i submitted about 12 references with my tra application and not one of the people who gave these was contacted,i think if everything looks genuine there wont be any need to worry
regards
mark
Old May 8th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

I'm liking your work. So they didn't contact any of the 12?