Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work experiance in an Australian School

Work experiance in an Australian School

Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Andi08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work experiance in an Australian School

Hello all, this is my first ever post, fingers crossed someone can help.

Having spent a year on a WHV living in Sydney, I decided that I would like Australia to be my permanent home. My Uni Degree was in Genetics, but there didn't seem to be any reliant jobs, so i decided to train as a Science teacher (PGCE) and then focus on the skilled migration path (still need 3 years work experience).

I qualified in January and started my NQT year, working as a Science teacher.

My plan for the summer holidays ( 17th July- 1st Sept) is to fly over to Australia (Sydney at first but want to see the other cities and Rural schools) and get some insight to Australian schools and maybe some work experience, or even sponsorship, but i know that is a very remote chance.

What I'm looking for help with, is advice on setting up school visits. I've emailed several schools and even telephoned but no reply

Is anyone on here a teacher or done a similar thing?
I have a UK CRB check (criminal record check) will i need to get something similar with each state or AFP prior to departure?

And, can i do work experience on a tourist visa or will i need another type?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work experiance in an Australian School

In order for a school to give you work experience you will need a visa which allows you to work, such as a working holiday visa. www.immi.gov.au for details of those. You will also need a working with children check, updated immunisations and all sorts of other relevant stuff.

The reason you're not hearing back from any schools is that 1) you don't have a visa and 2) you're not in the country for them to interview you.

You're really better off emailing the state education department rather than schools individually.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:19 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andi08
Hello all, this is my first ever post, fingers crossed someone can help.

Having spent a year on a WHV living in Sydney, I decided that I would like Australia to be my permanent home. My Uni Degree was in Genetics, but there didn't seem to be any reliant jobs, so i decided to train as a Science teacher (PGCE) and then focus on the skilled migration path (still need 3 years work experience).

I qualified in January and started my NQT year, working as a Science teacher.

My plan for the summer holidays ( 17th July- 1st Sept) is to fly over to Australia (Sydney at first but want to see the other cities and Rural schools) and get some insight to Australian schools and maybe some work experience, or even sponsorship, but i know that is a very remote chance.

What I'm looking for help with, is advice on setting up school visits. I've emailed several schools and even telephoned but no reply

Is anyone on here a teacher or done a similar thing?
I have a UK CRB check (criminal record check) will i need to get something similar with each state or AFP prior to departure?

And, can i do work experience on a tourist visa or will i need another type?

You can approach independent schools direct but you will have to have an Australian working with children card as well as Australian College of Teaching registration. As a secondary science teacher you will walk into a job and if you decide on WA you will be the highest paid in the country. I came here after my NQT year, my route into teching was very similar to yours in that I did a BSc hons degree in Computing and then a PGCE. I took a year off to settle the kids in etc and when I was ready to work I called the school I was interested in and after an informal meeting with the deputy principal I started doing relief work the following week. Within a week I had been offered a 1 term long service leave contract and two weeks into that I was offered a permanent position. A year and a bit later I am still at the same school and absolutely loving it.

So get yourself over here, chose your school carefully and go for it.

Good Luck
ACE
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:22 am
ABCDiamond

Working with Children.

The "working with children check" is done by each State, and has different names.

QLD
In Queensland, a person will need a blue card if they propose to work, in a paid or voluntary capacity, or to carry on a business, in a child-related area regulated by the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian Act 2000. Details at; www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/employment/bluecard

NSW
In New South Wales, the "NSW Commission for Children and Young People" is responsible for the Working with Children Check, and details are at: www.kids.nsw.gov.au

VIC
In Victoria, the Government requires a criminal check to be carried out for anyone wishing to work with children. Details at: www.justice.vic.gov.au

WA
In Western Australia, a Working with Children Check is compulsory for people who carry out child-related work. Details at: www.checkwwc.wa.gov.au

Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ACE
You can approach independent schools direct but you will have to have an Australian working with children card as well as Australian College of Teaching registration. As a secondary science teacher you will walk into a job and if you decide on WA you will be the highest paid in the country. I came here after my NQT year, my route into teching was very similar to yours in that I did a BSc hons degree in Computing and then a PGCE. I took a year off to settle the kids in etc and when I was ready to work I called the school I was interested in and after an informal meeting with the deputy principal I started doing relief work the following week. Within a week I had been offered a 1 term long service leave contract and two weeks into that I was offered a permanent position. A year and a bit later I am still at the same school and absolutely loving it.

So get yourself over here, chose your school carefully and go for it.

Good Luck
ACE
I'd dispute that science teachers 'walk into a job' at least this isn't the case in Metropolitan Melbourne- I didn't have too much trouble but I did have to put in a fair few applications.

Andi- I think half of your problem may well be that the schools don't know what you want. Are you looking to do some volunteer work in schools? It's really very rare for qualified teachers to do this. If you're looking for paid work they won't consider you when you're overseas in most cases.

I think your best bet is to get a visa that allows you to work, register with the relevant state and then aim to get some supply work. That will give you a real idea of what the schools are like and give you some money.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:48 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
I'd dispute that science teachers 'walk into a job' at least this isn't the case in Metropolitan Melbourne- I didn't have too much trouble but I did have to put in a fair few applications.
The deputy at the school that hired me told me that good Maths, IT and Science teachers are very hard to find and tend to get snapped up very quicky but we are in WA.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Horsecookie will become famous soon enough

is there a thread on here for teachers? I am lookign to move to Perth and wonder how I will go about getting a teaching job in a secondary school. Ive probably got the odds stacked against me as I currently teach Art and Design but would be willing to teach Design and Technology. I know (as in this country) Art Teaching Jobs are sometimes hard to come by.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks