Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work in Australia

Work in Australia

Old Apr 11th 2003, 4:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work in Australia

After reading this I would not bother if I was this lady , whats the point in turning out to be on the bread line?
Bugger me I thought I was hard up well looks like theres an under class under me , no wonder there are so few Pubs only us nearly middle class can afford to use them.

Why do I work ?

I AM a casual worker and because of this I get paid at a higher rate but I don't get any benefits such as sick pay, holiday pay and public holiday pay. If I don't work, or I am sick, I don't get paid.

For this work, Monday to Friday, I am paid $332.20, below the $338 mark to receive a low-income healthcare card. However, because I work on Saturdays (I must, otherwise I will be fired) I get a higher rate for that day. This bumps my weekly pay to about $390.70. This means I am ineligible to receive a healthcare card, even though I earn a wage that is below the poverty line.

I get no benefits from working and I get no benefits from the Government for being employed and not being on the dole. I may as well be on the dole because I would get more benefits and be entitled to a healthcare card.

I believe it is unfair to have this cut-off point of $338 a week for everyone. I believe it would be fairer to have different rates depending on what type of wage you are on - part-time or casual. It is preposterous that an extra $50 a week should deny me a healthcare card.

I don't see the point in working at all. There are no benefits for low-income workers.

LAURA MARTINAZZO, Joondanna.

Old Apr 11th 2003, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work in Australia

[

Why do I work ?

I AM a casual worker and because of this I get paid at a higher rate but I don't get any benefits such as sick pay, holiday pay and public holiday pay. If I don't work, or I am sick, I don't get paid.

For this work, Monday to Friday, I am paid $332.20, below the $338 mark to receive a low-income healthcare card. However, because I work on Saturdays (I must, otherwise I will be fired) I get a higher rate for that day. This bumps my weekly pay to about $390.70. This means I am ineligible to receive a healthcare card, even though I earn a wage that is below the poverty line.

I get no benefits from working and I get no benefits from the Government for being employed and not being on the dole. I may as well be on the dole because I would get more benefits and be entitled to a healthcare card.

I believe it is unfair to have this cut-off point of $338 a week for everyone. I believe it would be fairer to have different rates depending on what type of wage you are on - part-time or casual. It is preposterous that an extra $50 a week should deny me a healthcare card.

I don't see the point in working at all. There are no benefits for low-income workers.

Oh and thats just happens in OZZIE is it, I dont think so PB
Hurry up home.
Old Apr 11th 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

[

Why do I work ?

Oh and thats just happens in OZZIE does it, I dont think so PB
Hurry up home.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:10 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stoney
[

Hurry up home.
No I would say not , now lets see what do you get in the UK Free health care (not that free here) , a pension by right (means tested here) , less tax for the lower paid ( very equal here we all get shafted the same on PAYE).
The writer moans about having no health card any idea what that is? seeing that you have little idea about most things.

Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Stoney
Hurry up home.
That's what I like about the British, generous to a fault! They even take back reject Poms!
Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:23 am
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
That's what I like about the British, generous to a fault! They even take back reject Poms!
Australia welcomes us and we were not even born here , sad but true.

Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Stoney, I know you dont like the negative posts here, but you will have to accept that even the government admits there is a huge problem with people being better off on the dole!!

As for casual workers, most I know here do not get any holiday, sick pay, super, maternity, its just work if and when the employer wants you. So casual wages are usually very low, you go to work often for 2/3 hour shifts. The ball is very much in the employers court here. Many friends here been "casual" for decades. Even rosters are only days in advance then change at 10 minutes notice.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 4:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Stoney, I know you dont like the negative posts here, but you will have to accept that even the government admits there is a huge problem with people being better off on the dole!!

As for casual workers, most I know here do not get any holiday, sick pay, super, maternity, its just work if and when the employer wants you. So casual wages are usually very low, you go to work often for 2/3 hour shifts. The ball is very much in the employers court here. Many friends here been "casual" for decades. Even rosters are only days in advance then change at 10 minutes notice.
Cause that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, we like it, uh-huh, uh-huh!!!

Australian Industry, Government Wants YOU