work

Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:39 am
Just Joined

malli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work

Hi all
I recently entered in melbourne as a permanent resident . I have applied for my bank account & tax file no .
I have also applied for Driving license after getting my Driving license I will work as a taxi driver but it will take some time to get my Driving license 2 or 3 month . I want to do some work so that I can earn some money .Can any body suggest me that from where I can find some work for 2-3 months till I get my Driving License
Please help me because I have to do my expenses from my pocket
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:53 am
Account Closed

aman_sharma2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: work

Originally Posted by malli
Hi all
I recently entered in melbourne as a permanent resident . I have applied for my bank account & tax file no .
I have also applied for Driving license after getting my Driving license I will work as a taxi driver but it will take some time to get my Driving license 2 or 3 month . I want to do some work so that I can earn some money .Can any body suggest me that from where I can find some work for 2-3 months till I get my Driving License
Man...pardon me..if I am bit rude!!

You entered there as a skilled worked and asking for work on a public forum?

I hope no one from Aus immigration policy maker sees your thread!! It will defintely give bad names to skilled workers!!

If you knew that you not gonna get work, why you landed there? You must have one backup plan before you go to some other country!! like a job offer, friends, family ....

Anyways GOOD LUCK...but I am pissed off after reading your thread!!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1

I hope no one from Aus immigration policy maker sees your thread!! It will defintely give bad names to skilled workers!!

If you knew that you not gonna get work, why you landed there? You must have one backup plan before you go to some other country!! like a job offer, friends, family ....

Fail to see why you should be pissed off? Just because you enter as a skilled worker doesn't mean jobs drop into your lap. Networking via a forum to look for a job is no different to looking in the paper or asking around. Plenty of people have found work, or connections leading to work, through forums such as this. And why on earth would DIAC have a problem with someone asking about how to find work?

I hope you don't decide that you need any help yourself on your arrival.......
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Fail to see why you should be pissed off? Just because you enter as a skilled worker doesn't mean jobs drop into your lap. Networking via a forum to look for a job is no different to looking in the paper or asking around. Plenty of people have found work, or connections leading to work, through forums such as this. And why on earth would DIAC have a problem with someone asking about how to find work?

I hope you don't decide that you need any help yourself on your arrival.......
Well...Then I will say opinions depend from person to person.

If I have to land to some other country..I will have my backup plans ready!!

Anyways...I am sorry...If I was rude..Was just giving my opinion...I take my words back!!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:29 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Aman

How is life on that high horse of yours.

1: The OP never said they came on a skilled visa

2: Chances are the OP's back up plan is driving a cab, he is implementing it

3: Work is hard to come by even for skilled migrants in Oz.

z
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malli
Hi all
Can you see if maybe you can work at the taxi company as a despatcher? Then when you get your license you can drive. This would also give you a chance to get to know Melbourne's streets a little better before you start driving.

Have you also looked into maybe applying for some part-time work at some of the petrol stations? I know when my husband was looking for work he applied to the corner petrol station to work the night shift so we didn't have to worry about childcare when I was at work. You can also go to some of the temporary agencies to see about some factory work while you wait, too.

Good luck in your job search. I know it can be tough at first, but don't give up.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well...Then I will say opinions depend from person to person.

If I have to land to some other country..I will have my backup plans ready!!

Anyways...I am sorry...If I was rude..Was just giving my opinion...I take my words back!!
How do you know he's not the spouse of the skilled worker? Perhaps he has no skill and is looking to drive a taxi as a way of helping to support his family?

Or maybe he's here on a refugee visa? Or is married to an Australian and came on a spouse visa?

Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions you could try offering some help. As for your comment about DIAC, they don't care what you do when you land. If you're here as a permanent resident you can do whatever job you like...Or, never work again if that pleases you.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:07 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see what the problem is. The OP is asking (on this public forum) for ideas about where he might look to find short-term work until he's in a position to do what he plans to do. Other people here might have been in a similar situation and be able to help. I thought that sort of thing was one of the things that these discussion boards are for? Hey ho...

Also, I don't see where the OP said anything about being a skilled worker: he said that he is a newly arrived permanent resident.

To the OP: I can't offer any practical advice practical, but I do wish you all the best, both in finding short-term work and in your new life in Australia.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How do you know he's not the spouse of the skilled worker? Perhaps he has no skill and is looking to drive a taxi as a way of helping to support his family?

Or maybe he's here on a refugee visa? Or is married to an Australian and came on a spouse visa?

Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions you could try offering some help. As for your comment about DIAC, they don't care what you do when you land. If you're here as a permanent resident you can do whatever job you like...Or, never work again if that pleases you.
Originally Posted by CPW
I can't see what the problem is. The OP is asking (on this public forum) for ideas about where he might look to find short-term work until he's in a position to do what he plans to do. Other people here might have been in a similar situation and be able to help. I thought that sort of thing was one of the things that these discussion boards are for? Hey ho...

Also, I don't see where the OP said anything about being a skilled worker: he said that he is a newly arrived permanent resident.

To the OP: I can't offer any practical advice practical, but I do wish you all the best, both in finding short-term work and in your new life in Australia.
Erm... the poster has already said sorry and taken their words back...
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:21 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Erm... the poster has already said sorry and taken their words back...
The post in question was (to me) rather startling. But what you say is right, and probably I over-reacted therefore.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CPW
The post in question was (to me) rather startling. But what you say is right, and probably I over-reacted therefore.
Well...Yes..you guys are right!!

May be the case, down the line..I will also need to find a work like this..when I land in Oz...May be I am single, so just shouted my opinion..but yes..life can be very tough and it is tough!!

I again say..I am sorry..may be I have hurt someone's sentiments...I take my words back!!

Good luck to malli..though driving Taxi is not a bad idea!! Rest I don't have any idea about part time work...never worked part time in my whole life..

I am really sorry Malli....Don't feel bad about me..