Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A word of warning - customs

A word of warning - customs

Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light
Default A word of warning - customs

For those of you shipping your stuff over, a word of warning, even though we steam cleaned ALL our shoes and scrubbed them with Jeyes Fluid within an inch of their life, 9 pairs got pulled out and we've been stiffed with a bill for $220 for the priveledge of them steam cleaning them again (we've said we want to inspect the items tomorrow when we go to Sydney to visit our cats in qurantine to which they've agreed), they also pulled out some fake gold ivy from our Xmas decorations and have said it either has to be destroyed $88 or re-exported to the UK for $880 - it's plastic! They say it still attracts bugs and it makes me so mad that this kind of thing isn't mentioned in the documentation provided, so basically, if it looks like a leaf/plant and is fake, even spray painted gold/silver or whatever, bin it.

I think even though we're disputing the shoes and will check them out tomorrow they'll still make us have them cleaned or destroyed, if we get them cleaned we have to pay storage on top of the storage we've already paid for our items as it's all now in the container (bar these items) in bonded storage until our house completes 3rd Nov, either that or we have to pay courier fees.

So assuming they still say we have to have the items cleaned, we're hoping they'll do it while we're in Sydney so we can take the items back with us, if not I'll have to ask a friend to collect them for us as she lives nearby.

Sara
Old Oct 9th 2006, 5:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A word of warning - customs

Probably depends on who you get and what mood they're in - we had nothing pulled out and had cleaned nothing with Jeyes - just gave soles of shoes a wipe over with WD40 - made them look cleaner than they probably were.

Hope you get a good result when you go, although no doubt you will end up shellng something out.

Other people have had fake flowers etc distroyed - don't quite get that one
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

wow, that seems a bit over the top!!!
We bought all our plastic ivy with us, plastic holly as well, and we also cleaned our shoes with jeyes fluid and had no bother with customs at all. Good luck with it.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
wow, that seems a bit over the top!!!
We bought all our plastic ivy with us, plastic holly as well, and we also cleaned our shoes with jeyes fluid and had no bother with customs at all. Good luck with it.
I had several plastic and linen flowers, and some hats with imitiation flowers on. They insisted on destroying one of the hats No logic, I'm afraid!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:38 am
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

AQIS = Nazi Hitlers! I hate them.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:40 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW your feet must stink LOL
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:51 am
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Perthforme
WOW your feet must stink LOL
They confiscate seeds for no reason! Probably so they can keep them!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:52 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't appear to be any consistency in what they pull out for spraying etc - think it's just how they feel on the day
We had our lawnmower removed and they wanted $200 to clean it - told them to stick it and we bought one in Bunnings for $100!
Tracey
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:55 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't clean anything, none of my tools etc.
I've never ever seen a bottle of jeyes fluid. We had no problems.

They don't steam clean stuff, they just give it a couple of squirts with some insecticide, I've seen AQIS at work.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: A word of warning - customs

Originally Posted by Silky Chicken
For those of you shipping your stuff over, a word of warning, even though we steam cleaned ALL our shoes and scrubbed them with Jeyes Fluid within an inch of their life, 9 pairs got pulled out and we've been stiffed with a bill for $220 for the priveledge of them steam cleaning them again (we've said we want to inspect the items tomorrow when we go to Sydney to visit our cats in qurantine to which they've agreed), they also pulled out some fake gold ivy from our Xmas decorations and have said it either has to be destroyed $88 or re-exported to the UK for $880 - it's plastic! They say it still attracts bugs and it makes me so mad that this kind of thing isn't mentioned in the documentation provided, so basically, if it looks like a leaf/plant and is fake, even spray painted gold/silver or whatever, bin it.

I think even though we're disputing the shoes and will check them out tomorrow they'll still make us have them cleaned or destroyed, if we get them cleaned we have to pay storage on top of the storage we've already paid for our items as it's all now in the container (bar these items) in bonded storage until our house completes 3rd Nov, either that or we have to pay courier fees.

So assuming they still say we have to have the items cleaned, we're hoping they'll do it while we're in Sydney so we can take the items back with us, if not I'll have to ask a friend to collect them for us as she lives nearby.

Sara
hello it does make you think that next they will charge you to clean the shoes thats on your feet when you get there. ha its all about geting money from you any way they can. some things you can understand but fake plants well thats so daft
all the best
Dave
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:03 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello it does make you think that next they will charge you to clean the shoes thats on your feet when you get there. ha its all about geting money from you any way they can. some things you can understand but fake plants well thats so daft
all the best
Dave
We've got some really nice plastic garlands for xmas - I'm wondering whether to take them in our cases as oppsoed to shipping just to avoid the above problems. What d'you think?Totally reluctant to ditch things I've bought and paid for.

*pearly*
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:11 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
We've got some really nice plastic garlands for xmas - I'm wondering whether to take them in our cases as oppsoed to shipping just to avoid the above problems. What d'you think?Totally reluctant to ditch things I've bought and paid for.

*pearly*
I got rid of all my xmas decs just in case - I had about 3 or 4 artifical trees as well! (Don't ask why, I just have a thing about nice christmas trees!)

I have kept some lovely fake plastic/silk flowers (big ones for tall vases) Does anyone know if I will have to give these away as well? I don't want the risk of anything holding up the container when it finally arrives. As it is the quoted 8 weeks or so will take us up to the Christmas period so its bound to get delayed for a few weeks due to Christmas closedown/holidays etc.

Any idea?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:13 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond
I got rid of all my xmas decs just in case - I had about 3 or 4 artifical trees as well! (Don't ask why, I just have a thing about nice christmas trees!)

I have kept some lovely fake plastic/silk flowers (big ones for tall vases) Does anyone know if I will have to give these away as well? I don't want the risk of anything holding up the container when it finally arrives. As it is the quoted 8 weeks or so will take us up to the Christmas period so its bound to get delayed for a few weeks due to Christmas closedown/holidays etc.

Any idea?
What??? Do I have to get rid of my lovely fake xmas trees???

*pearly*
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:42 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rug13y
They confiscate seeds for no reason! Probably so they can keep them!
No i think thats to stop disease !!!!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 2:43 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

In my view, the whole Aquis inspection/disinfection thing is just a revenue creation programme. In other words, if you have nothing that's on the prohibited list in yoru container, AQIS will make out that you *do* have something that needs cleaning or destroying just so they can charge you something.

Since I've joined this forum over 18 months ago, I've read lots of stories of people where AQIS, for example, have claimed that a brand-new bike (still all wrapped in cardboard from the factory) or brand-new never worn shoes needed "cleaning". Destroying fake flowers seems to be a particular popular one. Therefore, I am quite sure that AQIS will "find" something in our container ....

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.