British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Word Comparisons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/word-comparisons-129667/)

Mumto4 Jan 30th 2003 9:00 am

Word Comparisons

Sorry if this has been done before but thought it would be good for people to try to pick up the lingo before they come. I'm trying to use the Australian words because my children will be confused when they start school and I don't want them being picked on for using "strange words" so to speak. At first I said that I'd never use them but have slowly changed my mind. People from different states are probably different - I'm from NSW.

Lolly Ice = Icy pole or Ice Block
Father Christmas = Santa
Wellington (Wellies) = Gum Boots
Leggings = Tights
Tights = Stockings
Vest = Singlet
Waistcoat = Vest
Sweatshirt - Jumper (My eldest daughter said once at pre-school that she wanted her sweaty jumper on - poor thing).
Trainers = Joggers or Track Shoes
Duvet = Duna
Sweets = Lollies
You never shout at your kids you yell (as shout is more abusive here but I don't see why)
Cress = Sprouts
Sandwich - Sanger
Sausage - Snag
Kitchin Roll - Paper Towling
Kit (Football) - Sports Uniform
Football = Soccer
Rugby (League) = Football
Rugby (Union) = Rugby

I know there's lots more but can't think at the moment, will have a think about it.

mashiraz Jan 30th 2003 10:32 am

Re: Word Comparisons

Ohhhhh it's so confusing..........
How am I going to remember it all...

If tights are stockings, what are stockings?
Why on earth is a Duvet a Duna?
Are nappies diapers?
I don't intend to wear vests or waistcoat so that should be ok
What are sprouts if cress is sprouts?

It's very worrying!
Mash..

Originally posted by Mumto4
Sorry if this has been done before but thought it would be good for people to try to pick up the lingo before they come. I'm trying to use the Australian words because my children will be confused when they start school and I don't want them being picked on for using "strange words" so to speak. At first I said that I'd never use them but have slowly changed my mind. People from different states are probably different - I'm from NSW.

Lolly Ice = Icy pole or Ice Block
Father Christmas = Santa
Wellington (Wellies) = Gum Boots
Leggings = Tights
Tights = Stockings
Vest = Singlet
Waistcoat = Vest
Sweatshirt - Jumper (My eldest daughter said once at pre-school that she wanted her sweaty jumper on - poor thing).
Trainers = Joggers or Track Shoes
Duvet = Duna
Sweets = Lollies
You never shout at your kids you yell (as shout is more abusive here but I don't see why)
Cress = Sprouts
Sandwich - Sanger
Sausage - Snag
Kitchin Roll - Paper Towling
Kit (Football) - Sports Uniform
Football = Soccer
Rugby (Union) = Rugby

I know there's lots more but can't think at the moment, will have a think about it.

Pollyana Jan 30th 2003 11:01 am

Heres a good one that I haven't found an answer to yet - in the UK we wear 'flip-flops' on our feet (on the rare occasion that the sun comes out!), in Oz they are called 'thongs'.
But we have skimpy underwear in the UK which is known as a thong - what name to the Aussies give to that?

Jaykay Jan 30th 2003 12:51 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Heres a good one that I haven't found an answer to yet - in the UK we wear 'flip-flops' on our feet (on the rare occasion that the sun comes out!), in Oz they are called 'thongs'.
But we have skimpy underwear in the UK which is known as a thong - what name to the Aussies give to that?
They're called G-Strings!

Grub Jan 30th 2003 1:06 pm

Loo- dunny
Fags- smokos (not really needed for the kids though!)
And for the adults- dont ask for a pint- ask for a schooner or a midi (depending where in Oz you are)
Sausage- snag

Jaykay Jan 30th 2003 1:19 pm

Don't forget the bin men - Garbos

Jaykay Jan 30th 2003 1:20 pm

And the Strimmer is called a Whipper Snipper

mashiraz Jan 30th 2003 1:41 pm

I've got one....

:D

Mash Hubby

deleted by Mash herself (just in case...)

UDS Jan 30th 2003 1:52 pm

Originally posted by Mumto4
. . .
Rugby (Union) = Rugby . . .
This is where it gets really complicated.

In Qld and NSW, the most popular football code is Rugby League, and a reference to "football" usually indicates Rugby League. However, depending on the context, it may indicate Australian Rules. In other states Aussie Rules is the most popular code, and a reference to "football" means Aussie Rules.

A reference to "Rugby" usually indicates Rugby League, but if the reference concerns international games then it is likely to be a reference to Rugby Union.

In some migrant communities a reference to "football" could be a
reference to soccer or Gaelic football, but unless you happen to be a member of these communities you're unlikely to come across
this.

Whew!

Nicstids Jan 30th 2003 1:54 pm

Mash

Are you sure that they don't read this...! You realise that you've probably gone to the back of the queue now!!

Nicstids

Ceri Jan 30th 2003 1:58 pm

Originally posted by Grub
dont ask for a pint- ask for a schooner or a midi (depending where in Oz you are)
Sausage- snag

A schooner is not the same as a British pint measurement, is a bit smaller in volume than a pint...

Most "normal/average" bars, ie the local hotels etc do not sell real pint measurements at all, unless it's Guinness , killkenny etc... then they will have the pint measurement glasses just for certain Irish and British beers.

if you ask for a midi... you'll get half of a schooner! (which is less than half of a British pint) (NSW and QLD use both these word terms)

If you want a real pint measurement , you'll have to find a pub which sells them... the Irish bars are the best bet (my local bar sells pints) ..they are the only ones around my area anyway which will sell a real pint measurement/volume.

A couple more :

small bottle of beer = stubby

"That's b*llshit man " = that's good
tw*t - they say it as if there's an o in it where the A is . It's spelt the same here, but pronounced with an "o" instead of an "A"

cheers:)

P.s I have never heard any Australian asking for the Dunny in the 6 years I have been here, the only time I hear that word it is on the TV... perhaps I'm mixing with the wrong people :)

sashimi Jan 30th 2003 2:36 pm

Ohhh it's so confusing.......... How am I going to remember it all....

Why on earth is a Duvet a Duna?
Hi Mash,

I not entirely sure, but the reason why a duvet is called duna could be that the things originally come from Scandinavia where they are called "dyne" which is pronounced a little like duna. The correct pronounciation would be düneh

Sashimi

denhim Jan 30th 2003 6:58 pm

Originally posted by Ceri
A schooner is not the same as a British pint measurement, is a bit smaller in volume than a pint...

Most "normal/average" bars, ie the local hotels etc do not sell real pint measurements at all, unless it's Guinness , killkenny etc... then they will have the pint measurement glasses just for certain Irish and British beers.

if you ask for a midi... you'll get half of a schooner! (which is less than half of a British pint) (NSW and QLD use both these word terms)

If you want a real pint measurement , you'll have to find a pub which sells them... the Irish bars are the best bet (my local bar sells pints) ..they are the only ones around my area anyway which will sell a real pint measurement/volume.

A couple more :

small bottle of beer = stubby

"That's b*llshit man " = that's good
tw*t - they say it as if there's an o in it where the A is . It's spelt the same here, but pronounced with an "o" instead of an "A"

cheers:)

P.s I have never heard any Australian asking for the Dunny in the 6 years I have been here, the only time I hear that word it is on the TV... perhaps I'm mixing with the wrong people :)
aye and the ozzie call themselves drinkers. i found this out when i was out on the lash over there. asked for a pint and i got a blank expresion. i got lager in a pussy`s glass. even the cans of fosters were them dinky ones. i bet us british could drink em under the table.

Call me AL Jan 30th 2003 9:32 pm

word comparisons

Why is the bedding department in shops called manchester? What next, lingerie called liverpool, nursery called newcastle....

madmancunian Jan 31st 2003 12:45 am

Re: word comparisons

Originally posted by Call me AL
Why is the bedding department in shops called manchester? What next, lingerie called liverpool, nursery called newcastle....
Because Manchester (UK) was originally the main idustrial cotton-making centre in the UK. Therefore - Manchester Linen, etc.

MM