Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

word of advice when shipping

word of advice when shipping

Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default word of advice when shipping

Hi,
Just one thing to remeber when you are shipping your goods with a shipping company. If you fill in something on the customs declaration form like wooden objects, food, booze etc make sure that when the shippers come they put down on their inventory form waht box they put those things in, despite loads of research it almost scuppered us as i had an ornamental sword and dagger whihc they were just about to lump in a box marked ornaments (one of about 40 similarly marked). I made them write on the form, just as well i did as when customs looked at it they demanded to confiscate the dagger and said if we didn't know which one of the 210 boxes it was in they would have to get an xray machine and check every box.. whihc would have delayed the stuff for months.. They left the sword, cake, alcohol, old wooded furniture with wood worm holes, whicker etc, just confiscated the dagger..packers work at a rate of knots and will pack anything.. they packed a still hot grill pan about a minute after i made them bacon sarnies before it had cooled down enough to wash it up!

Cheers

Chris
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: word of advice when shipping

Thanks for the tip chrispy

Have you just arrived? are you settling in ok? Cant wait till its me.......
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:52 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Did they give you a reason on why they confiscated it?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:28 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
Just one thing to remeber...
Weird... I brought in a Chinese sword from the Boxer rebellion and a Khukri... no probs...

Last edited by DrWho; Jul 7th 2007 at 8:41 pm. Reason: Spelling :(
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:38 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Weird... I brought in a Chniese sword from the Boxer rebellion and a Khukri... no probs...
Hi

thanks for that,

we were told by the shippers to put our Khukri in amongst the cutlery but the samurai sword couldnt go
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
Hi

thanks for that,

we were told by the shippers to put our Khukri in amongst the cutlery but the samurai sword couldnt go
I'd check about the Samurai... My Chinese one wasn't as long (3 foot) but I'd have thought a sword is a sword...
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:02 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
I'd check about the Samurai... My Chinese one wasn't as long (3 foot) but I'd have thought a sword is a sword...
well 3 lots of shippers all said no

its a very sharp one not just ornamental
Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a masai spear, antique swords and various knives and daggers that my husband has collected over the years, no problem.
Agree with the tip - make sure the box is marked and noted on the inventory.
And packers do pack anything? Even waste bins with rubbish in them!!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
We bought a masai spear, antique swords and various knives and daggers that my husband has collected over the years, no problem.
Agree with the tip - make sure the box is marked and noted on the inventory.
And packers do pack anything? Even waste bins with rubbish in them!!
Its not unknown for people to have their rubbish bins packed by mistake. Best thing to do is to put everything - including handbags, passports etc - that you DON'T want packed into one room, and stick a note on the door telling them NOT to go in. Some packers are a bit enthusiastic and will pack everything in sight otherwise.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not unknown for people to have their rubbish bins packed by mistake. Best thing to do is to put everything - including handbags, passports etc - that you DON'T want packed into one room, and stick a note on the door telling them NOT to go in. Some packers are a bit enthusiastic and will pack everything in sight otherwise.

Hi,
the one thing the shippers did do was as soon as they entered the house they said "where is your passport" just to make sure it wasn't packed. With regards the dagger/sword issue, i can only presume the dagger was confiscated because it could be concealed, it was a small version of the sword which they allowed through.. odd but they work in mysterious ways do customs..The main message is if you declare it make sure the shippers mark it on their inventory so you know where to find it..

We moved 2 months ago (God, is it already that long!).. rented in mount lawley and haave just bought a house in kalamunda...buying is a lot easier here than in the UK..We think Perth is great so far..

Cheers

Chris
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:28 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Unhappy Re: word of advice when shipping

I have one of those curved Gurka knifes. I picked it up when I was traveling around Nepal as a momento.

Do you think I will have a problem getting it through Customs?

Would be sad to lose it, especially if I see one in a shop over there afterwards

Cheers,
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
I have one of those curved Gurka knifes. I picked it up when I was traveling around Nepal as a momento.

Do you think I will have a problem getting it through Customs?

Would be sad to lose it, especially if I see one in a shop over there afterwards

Cheers,
Hi,
I would describe it as a knife, not a dagger and since it is not a dagger then it will not come under the disclosable items.. my mistake was being to honest, we had loads of kitchen knives that were far more dangerous and yet they are fine to bring in. No one knows the dark strange reasonings that go in in the minds of customs and excise... maybe one of them had a dagger collection he wanted to add to, who knows..

Cheers

Chris