Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A word about passport photographs

A word about passport photographs

Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:36 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A word about passport photographs

Melbournehelp, on a recent trip to the UK found out that he needed to apply for an australian passport.
The passport bit was ok ,as was renewing the uk passport...the nightmare began with the passport photos .
As such I wish to make you aware of the following :

All new passports require a photograph of your face to be a certain size, distance from the camera and have a picture size in accordance with the requirements of the government issuing the passport.
We are all being scanned into a facial recognition database and as such the issuing authorities are issuing strict guidelines for passport photographs.
Three sets later I am initially approved pending my application winging it's way to London.First set- head too small ! second set , not sharp enough, third set-sent to a photo outlet in Manchester that the Australian H-igh Commission recommended.
The moral of the story is ..and this will aplly to all new passport applicants- don't waste your time and money at boots, max speilman or any other outlet outlet that doesn't know exactly what the new requirements are .
The local photoshops do not know what is required with the new photos for your new passport. I wouold suggest you ring the relevant authority to find an approved photo shop ( usually near the embassy/passport office ) , who understand what is now required by both UK and Australian governments .
Believe me- if it ain't exactly right, you will have to have it re- done .
Welcome to a safer world.

Steve Bowes, Melbournehelp,
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A word about passport photographs

I'll just bounce this back to the top steve, so a few more people see it. The Bloke told me about the footling requirements, as he was worried that the photos for my visa application weren't done in an "approved place". I thought he was joking, and they accepted ordinary photobooth ones for the visa.
However, now I am more accustomed to Aussie redtape, I am quite willing to believe it.
I think its the first time its been mentioned on here though
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:20 am
Cheeky

Hi there,

Just out of interest I recently had to sort passport photos out for my kids (here in UK). Also ended up taking 2 x sets of my daughter and 3 x sets of my son and £15 later finally got the ideal ones. Dont worry though the forms you get for passports contain a leaflet explaining exactly how they should be, correct dimensions and so on. You even have to be careful if you wear glasses, that the top part of the frames doesnt go across the eyes!! Fingers crossed as ours are due back in a few days......

Regards, Cheeky

Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:25 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for this.....getting hubby and kiddies passports done in the next couple of months so will get them done somewhere "approved"!

cheers

sue
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:10 pm
making your move easier

hope this has been of some help,tired, it's one less thing to stress about if you know about it.

regards,

Melbournehelp...Buttonmoon
Old Sep 30th 2004, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

The Register reported too that another reason for rejection is that if you smile in your picture, the recognition systems can't cope - so it's back to the photo boot for you.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

When i had my passport photo's done i kept a really straight face, then afterwards when i looked at myself i thought " pfff, i wouldn't let him on a plane let alone into another country " so went and did them again, this time attempting to look a little less intimidating.Seemed to work,no problems, the machines seem to be more of a video camera now so you can adjust the image size etc and check what your picture will look like before accepting it, just a shame i didn't think about that when having the first one done

Paul
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

I sent off for three passports after spending a fortune on getting the photo's right then they sent one of the passports back with the wrong birth date in it!

Sue
Old Sep 30th 2004, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'll just bounce this back to the top steve, so a few more people see it. The Bloke told me about the footling requirements, as he was worried that the photos for my visa application weren't done in an "approved place". I thought he was joking, and they accepted ordinary photobooth ones for the visa.
However, now I am more accustomed to Aussie redtape, I am quite willing to believe it.
I think its the first time its been mentioned on here though

Well this is a surprise to me!
In the past year I've had my Oz passport renewed, my UK passport renewed and hubby's visa application needed photos which haven't been rejected.

All mine were done at a photobooth in Sainsbury's for £3 for four. No problem and no hassel at all.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 6:09 pm
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ushas
Well this is a surprise to me!
In the past year I've had my Oz passport renewed, my UK passport renewed and hubby's visa application needed photos which haven't been rejected.

All mine were done at a photobooth in Sainsbury's for £3 for four. No problem and no hassel at all.
Took all ours with a digital camera and printed out onto photo paper. Digital pictures are accepted for UK passport photos, as long as they are above a certain resolution, and the correct size of course :-)

TBEB
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CHnJ
The Register reported too that another reason for rejection is that if you smile in your picture, the recognition systems can't cope - so it's back to the photo boot for you.
If I tried smiling then they definitely wouldn't let me in ... nothing to do with recognition systems though

I think hats/caps are also due to outlawed, for the more "junior" amongst us I guess ... and cowboys.

Thanks for the heads-up about the photos.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 10:10 am
making your move easier

The requirements ar new, I am told as we are all being scanned into a facial recognition system.The regulations have now hit the uk and you get a load of info with the application forms ( from the post office ).There are a heap of photos that they won't accept,shadows, too dark, head not the right size- even people with hadjees ( apologise for spelling) - all disallowed.
You can take digital photos as long as the resolution, paper type , size etc are within the requirements.
I guess the mesage is - do it early so you're not under the pump like Melhelp was !
Finally an Australian AND can prove it .!
melbourne now Sat 6th October