Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wooden garden furniture

wooden garden furniture

Old May 22nd 2005, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default wooden garden furniture

We've got a lovely (& expensive) patio set that's covered in algae, etc. and have just decided it's too valuable to leave if I can possibly get it ready in time.

We need to clean it up and oil it so it's fit to be imported and wondered if anyone knew whether it could be certified as germ free/good enough for import prior to arrival for its AQIS check - would hate to spend lots of time & cash getting it ready only for it to be destroyed on arrival.

Additionally if anyone knows of a company that cleans and does the work for you please could you let me know - we're in the Midlands if that helps and it all needs doing in 2.5 weeks.

Not asking much am I.

Carolyn
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: wooden garden furniture

Sorry don't know how to go about cleaning your patio set but just to say consider the fact that the whole of your shipment could be sent back as was mentioned on the forum a few weeks back, sorry to be doom and gloom.
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by flip
We've got a lovely (& expensive) patio set that's covered in algae, etc. and have just decided it's too valuable to leave if I can possibly get it ready in time.

We need to clean it up and oil it so it's fit to be imported and wondered if anyone knew whether it could be certified as germ free/good enough for import prior to arrival for its AQIS check - would hate to spend lots of time & cash getting it ready only for it to be destroyed on arrival.

Additionally if anyone knows of a company that cleans and does the work for you please could you let me know - we're in the Midlands if that helps and it all needs doing in 2.5 weeks.

Not asking much am I.

Carolyn
Carolyn,
Dont worry too much. AQIS will inspect all items that have come into contact with the garden. You cant make your item germ free, but its easy to clean with a jet wash. Takes all dirt and algae off. They are looking fotr wood worm and soil, so make sure every inch is clean, and then re-vax or varnish and leave in garage before you go.

chris
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Carolyn,
Dont worry too much. AQIS will inspect all items that have come into contact with the garden. You cant make your item germ free, but its easy to clean with a jet wash. Takes all dirt and algae off. They are looking fotr wood worm and soil, so make sure every inch is clean, and then re-vax or varnish and leave in garage before you go.

chris
It was never finished when we bought it and I've been told by my mate, a decorator, that jet washing would cause it to bubble and splinter like raw wood in the rain. If I can't get any other solution I may have to risk it.

Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks also for the gloom bit - must check that thread out - sounds terrible.

Carolyn
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karenjc
Sorry don't know how to go about cleaning your patio set but just to say consider the fact that the whole of your shipment could be sent back as was mentioned on the forum a few weeks back, sorry to be doom and gloom.
I have done a couple of searches and looked through recent threads but can't find anything - can you give any further info?

Carolyn
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: wooden garden furniture

It was never finished when we bought it and I've been told by my mate, a decorator, that jet washing would cause it to bubble and splinter like raw wood in the rain. If I can't get any other solution I may have to risk it.

Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks also for the gloom bit - must check that thread out - sounds terrible.

Carolyn
Hi Flip

I think you will regret taking it. The customs are hot on and if they suspect any kind of infestation, algae etc.:scared: they will fumigate your whole shipment and charge you for the priviledge .
The fact that it is raw wood will draw them to the items, and if there is any known risks from the uk in the form of spores etrc on untreated wood you will end up with a hefty bill. Dont forget that there is a vast choice of garden furniture over here in Aus. Probabley cheeper than the bill from customs

Hope this will help.

Signman Glen
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you get it fumigated etc in the UK, AQIS will still take a close look and probably treat it again - they will ignore the fact that its been done already.
Old May 22nd 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Signman Glen
Hi Flip

I think you will regret taking it. The customs are hot on and if they suspect any kind of infestation, algae etc.:scared: they will fumigate your whole shipment and charge you for the priviledge .
The fact that it is raw wood will draw them to the items, and if there is any known risks from the uk in the form of spores etrc on untreated wood you will end up with a hefty bill. Dont forget that there is a vast choice of garden furniture over here in Aus. Probabley cheeper than the bill from customs

Hope this will help.

Signman Glen
Sorry - by risk it I meant risk using a power jet on it - not risk taking it untreated. This is what you thought I meant?

Carolyn
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough

Sorry - by risk it I meant risk using a power jet on it - not risk taking it untreated. This is what you thought I meant?

Carolyn
Hi Carolyn,

We had some garden furniture we were very attached to, because we had brought it with some inheritance money I had received.

We scrubbed it down, re varnished it and moved it into our garage a month before we moved to ensure it was thoroughly dry, as our movers had told us if the timber was damp it would affect our container. We had no problems at this end and felt the effort was worthwhile, we've certainly got a lot more use out of the furniture since we arrived here.

At the end of the day it depends on how much you want to move the furniture out here.

Good luck with your move,

Nanci
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nanci
Hi Carolyn,

We had some garden furniture we were very attached to, because we had brought it with some inheritance money I had received.

We scrubbed it down, re varnished it and moved it into our garage a month before we moved to ensure it was thoroughly dry, as our movers had told us if the timber was damp it would affect our container. We had no problems at this end and felt the effort was worthwhile, we've certainly got a lot more use out of the furniture since we arrived here.

At the end of the day it depends on how much you want to move the furniture out here.

Good luck with your move,

Nanci
Just what I needed to hear. Cleaned it off with jays fluid this morning and I'm trying to persuade my mate to do the varnishing straight away, queue jumping's very unfair isn't it. Container goes in 3 weeks.

Thanks so much

Carolyn
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Just what I needed to hear. Cleaned it off with jays fluid this morning and I'm trying to persuade my mate to do the varnishing straight away, queue jumping's very unfair isn't it. Container goes in 3 weeks.

Thanks so much

Carolyn

We have cleaned some wooden furniture that we thought was too good to leave, a good scrub with Jeyes fluid did the trick.

Its been in the house now for a couple of weeks so dried out and ready to be packed.

Shippers are in tommorow so will let you know if they disapprove.

Good scrubbing

Bill