Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wooden furniture

wooden furniture

Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:34 pm

mayten is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation wooden furniture

mrs mayten here.
on one of the new life progs they mentioned that all wooden furniture is checked on entry to oz, does anyone know if there is a charge for this or is it a good will gesture by the government to make sure your dining table is in a healthy enough condition to eat bbq food off?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if everythings checked, but do a search on this forum on customs/wood.
And check out the site www.aqis.gov.au

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:35 am
owieb

Default Re: wooden furniture

Originally posted by mayten
mrs mayten here.
on one of the new life progs they mentioned that all wooden furniture is checked on entry to oz, does anyone know if there is a charge for this or is it a good will gesture by the government to make sure your dining table is in a healthy enough condition to eat bbq food off?
The company that does your shipping should include the cost of customs clearance in the overall price. You have to fill in a customs form when the goods arrive in Australia and on that you have to list any wooden items and this does include dinning room tables!

Whether customs look at them or not is another thing, but if they do and find that there is anything suspect about it then they will say that it needs fumigating or destroying for which you have to pay for.

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:40 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Argh, that's gonna be annoying for us.
We've got so much wood stuff!
Bed
bedside tables
Bookcase
Dining table
Another table
At least 8 chairs
Another 3 small tables
Drawers

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:46 am
owieb

Originally posted by Simone82
Argh, that's gonna be annoying for us.
We've got so much wood stuff!
Bed
bedside tables
Bookcase
Dining table
Another table
At least 8 chairs
Another 3 small tables
Drawers

I think most people have loads of wooden stuff, we had heaps! I even put down stupid things like picture frames.

When you ship it you will get a list of everything so it makes filling in the form in Australia much easier.

It's nothing to get stressed about, you have to declare all kinds of stuff on the form, but it's probably best to put it down and be safe.

Though we had riding boots and a crop in our shipment that we never remembered packing and we didn't declare them on the form. The customs found them and just said they needed cleaning or we could dump them.

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:57 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by owieb
I think most people have loads of wooden stuff, we had heaps! I even put down stupid things like picture frames.

When you ship it you will get a list of everything so it makes filling in the form in Australia much easier.

It's nothing to get stressed about, you have to declare all kinds of stuff on the form, but it's probably best to put it down and be safe.

Though we had riding boots and a crop in our shipment that we never remembered packing and we didn't declare them on the form. The customs found them and just said they needed cleaning or we could dump them.
Yeah, it's not that bad.
And I enjoy making lists.
We're doing the packing etc ourselves, so will be making a packing list myself too.

We've also got some wooden nicknacks?? like statues, and a drum thing from Africa. I think we'll just leave them with family here. It isn't worth the hassle.
Taking all big things though. Don't think there'll be wood worm things in there.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:06 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

....kinky
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:23 am
owieb

Originally posted by artep
....kinky
We had loads of other *toys* so didn't really need those!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:24 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Pickfords told me that wicker furniture/wicker items and dried flowers are also a problem.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:25 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

We had loads of other *toys* so didn't really need those!

hey....you can never have too many!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

wicker furniture/wicker items and dried flowers
You're right Cherry, they are a no-no, along with the pine cones (see Christmas decs thread)
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Will&Rosie is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing we found out when we had the shippers round recently to quote, which I guess is pretty obvious but we hadn't thought of, it's not worth taking candles. Apparently the heat in the container melts them and they're useless by the time they get to Oz.

With regard to the wood, we were told by all 4 shipping companies that came round that all our stuff like tables/chairs etc was OK apart from an old antique door that had visible woodworm holes.

Rosie
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:26 am
owieb

Originally posted by Will&Rosie
Another thing we found out when we had the shippers round recently to quote, which I guess is pretty obvious but we hadn't thought of, it's not worth taking candles. Apparently the heat in the container melts them and they're useless by the time they get to Oz.
We shipped loads of candles and didn't have any problems with them.

Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:40 am
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi when we came to Oz we were told that the customs and AQIS now check every container, the Ozzies have now cottoned on to this being a good money spinner for them. Seeing as how you pay for the privilige.
When we shipped our stufff we were told by all of the shipping companies to avoid bringing in Tools especially any that seemed even slightly rusty (advised to throw hundreds of pounds away)
these upon arrival were no problem nor was my wooden workbench that had been located in my Outside Workshop however a pair of my wifes shoes were confiscated because of wooden heels, thick c****, they were actually plastic wood effect.
A word of advice bring every thing you can, fill that container to bursting point and dont listen to the shippers wait for them to throw it away if they do rather than yourselves.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:04 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by devtrend
Hi when we came to Oz we were told that the customs and AQIS now check every container, the Ozzies have now cottoned on to this being a good money spinner for them. Seeing as how you pay for the privilige.
When we shipped our stufff we were told by all of the shipping companies to avoid bringing in Tools especially any that seemed even slightly rusty (advised to throw hundreds of pounds away)
these upon arrival were no problem nor was my wooden workbench that had been located in my Outside Workshop however a pair of my wifes shoes were confiscated because of wooden heels, thick c****, they were actually plastic wood effect.
A word of advice bring every thing you can, fill that container to bursting point and dont listen to the shippers wait for them to throw it away if they do rather than yourselves.

Sorry to come back to this thread - but from what I've read on AQIS - am I right in NO segrass or wicker?

The kids toy box is seagrass, I've got 2 damn chest of drawers with wicker baskets, and all the bedside tables are seagrass boxes, all the waste paper bins, all the laundry bins.

..and what about a persian rug? is that a problem ??

..shit it looks like we are going to be leaving a few items.

Most of our stuff is modern but I have got a few old pieces - is woodworm quite obvious if you have it?

Any advice appreciated - we have sold our house now so will be on the move into rented soon - so I might ditch it all now to save moving it!

Max