Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wood Items and Aussie Customs...

Wood Items and Aussie Customs...

Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of
Default Wood Items and Aussie Customs...

We have packed our boxes ready for shipping and have been very careful not to include any wooden items which may be removed by AQIS in Australia (Christmas decorations, Pine Cones etc) I have some HiFi speakers but these are made from MDF, but will declare as wood anyway. I'm sure they'll get through ok.

I just need advice about 2 small wooden things I want to bring to Aus.

1. A 2ft wooden skeleton bought from Home Bargains. Its a kids toy that you build up like Meccano. It was only £2.99 but looks great. It's flat packed and sealed (although not in an outer platic skin) Will look great in my new office.

It's cute, but wooden!

2. A Wooden Headphone Stand. Very simple in design, it is made of two small pieces of Maple wood and stands about a foot tall. Headphones just sit on top of it. Bare wood, no varnish. Very Basic to look at but an essential piece of HiFi equipment!

I was thinking of taking these in Hand luggage and declaring them as wooden objects at Customs at the airport. That way they can make a decision whether to let them through or deny them.

Am I right in saying that at Customs at the airport, should they need to be treated, I actually do have a choice of either paying for treatment or just leave it for them to destroy free of charge?

If I shipped and declared them, AQIS charge a stupid amout for destroying things without even asking.

Or would these items get through without declaring them anyway do you think?

PS... Final thing... Can you ship the sealed battery rechargeable type power stations that you use to restart your car when the battery goes flat?

Last edited by tony4563; Oct 24th 2009 at 8:39 am.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:44 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wood Items and Aussie Customs...

They should let those through no problem. We shipped in lots of wooden items soem treated and some not, they even let in a candle holder made from the branch of a tree with bark on!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

We brought over a lot of solid wood furniture (Pine) with no probs, just declaared it on the shipping form also a picture frame to make up to fit a canvas print on, that was untreated and also went through fine. We gave all our whicker stuff away.

They did open every box of tools and there were alot, they weren't spotless and some had concrete etc on but it seems to be more soil they aer looking for, they also opened hubby's bikes.

The battery charger is in the garage so I guess hubby packed that as well with no probs, it hasn't been used since we've been here though. The shipping company did take all batteries out of appliances though such as tv bleeps etc.

Good luck with the trip
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Treated wood is fine, untreated wood is not so a branch off a beloved tree in your garden is a no no We brought our battery charger over no questions asked and we didn't take any batteries out of household items, neither did the shippers.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:23 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Is mexican pine ok? We've a tall narrow unit upstairs. I suppose Pickfords will advise us when they come out to give us the quote, yes?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:25 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Is mexican pine ok? We've a tall narrow unit upstairs. I suppose Pickfords will advise us when they come out to give us the quote, yes?
As long as there is no Bark on it , will be fine ............mm
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:27 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
As long as there is no Bark on it , will be fine ............mm
Nopes, no bark, when Pickfords come out will they give us a list of things you're not allowed to bring?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nopes, no bark, when Pickfords come out will they give us a list of things you're not allowed to bring?
They might do, and it might be accurate. I'd be more inclined to ask (and believe) Mr Mover though Some of the stories that people have been told by their removal companies are so wrong its just not funny.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:11 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They might do, and it might be accurate. I'd be more inclined to ask (and believe) Mr Mover though Some of the stories that people have been told by their removal companies are so wrong its just not funny.
No I do believe Mr Mover...OMG I've just realised, is he called Mr Mover cos he's a MOVER MAN?! lol
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:12 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

No I do believe Mr Mover...OMG I've just realised, is he called Mr Mover cos he's a MOVER MAN?! lol
Its certainly not because of my Dancing skills ..............mm
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:40 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by mr mover
Its certainly not because of my Dancing skills ..............mm
Tee hee ya

So if I've any queries you can advise me then?! WOO HOO!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

what about pillows and duvets with feather down stuffing? And can I send pots of paint wd40 etc type things I have in my garage?