Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A wood burner can damage your health..

A wood burner can damage your health..

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:02 am
Badge

Default A wood burner can damage your health..

Your financial health.

Look at all this red gum. Imagine it a foot higher - as we have gone through a bit already. That is about 1 metre cube of wood - well that is what was delivered.

Cost - AUS100. You can get it cheaper elsewhere but it is not stacked so you get less. This is 'small' which is better for my back as I don't split it again - if I didn't ask for small I'd have to split the wood again to get smaller pieces although the bigger bits will burn in a fire going well.

Can anyone guess how long the wood will last - if we have the wood burner going from 5pm -11pm?

Badge

PS The wood behind is a hardwood eculaypt given to us from an expats poster which I split to mix in with the redgum.
Attached Thumbnails A wood burner can damage your health..-img_1081-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Badge; Jul 17th 2005 at 3:12 am.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:03 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A wood burner can damage your health..

Originally Posted by Badge
Your financial health.

Look at all this red gum. Imagine it a foot higher - as we have gone through a bit already. That is about 1 metre cube of wood - well that is what was delivered.

Cost - AUS100.

Can anyone guess how long the wood will last - if we have the wood burner going from 5pm -11pm?

Badge
Gas anyone?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Must admitt I love our wood burner, withing an hour or 2 the whole house is snug and it is so hot we have to open all the doors to spread it thoughout. We had about that much wood delivered and nearly out lasted about 6 weeks, but some days I lit it much earlier than that.

Jo
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Your financial health.

Cost - AUS100. You can get it cheaper elsewhere but it is not stacked so you get less. This is 'small' which is better for my back as I don't split it again - if I didn't ask for small I'd have to split the wood again to get smaller pieces although the bigger bits will burn in a fire going well.

Badge

PS The wood behind is a hardwood eculaypt given to us from an expats poster which I split to mix in with the redgum.
Her ya go Badger me Boy:

SPATIAL AND TEMPORAL ALLOCATION OF EMISSIONS FROM WOOD COMBUSTION

So ~1.5 tonnes wood per year, density of wood ~0.6 tonnes / m^3:
1.0 m^3 provide ~0.4 of annual usage; I'd guess 2 winter months.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:25 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Megalania
Her ya go Badger me Boy:

SPATIAL AND TEMPORAL ALLOCATION OF EMISSIONS FROM WOOD COMBUSTION

So ~1.5 tonnes wood per year, density of wood ~0.6 tonnes / m^3:
1.0 m^3 provide ~0.4 of annual usage; I'd guess 2 winter months.
hmmm that will last 3 weeks, maybe 4.. and we're not using the burner during the day

Badge

Old Jul 17th 2005, 6:30 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Your financial health.

Look at all this red gum. Imagine it a foot higher - as we have gone through a bit already. That is about 1 metre cube of wood - well that is what was delivered. .
We scoff at the size of your pile. .

What happened to Lumber Badge who was going to trawl the outback with his trusty Stihl.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:06 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

hmmm that will last 3 weeks, maybe 4.. and we're not using the burner during the day

Badge
1 m^3 ~= 600 kg for 30 days ~= 20 kg / day. Sounds about right, perhaps a bit high. Weigh what you use one day?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:10 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

1 m^3 ~= 600 kg for 30 days ~= 20 kg / day. Sounds about right, perhaps a bit high. Weigh what you use one day?
20kg is a bit high
Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:58 am
Banned

Common Properties of Commercial Fuels

Last bill I used 194 MJ/day of natural gas at a cost of $2.47/day.

The energy loss from the house was 2,250 J/sec.

Energy of natural gas is 194 MJ/kg - so I used 3.6 kg/day.

Energy of wood is 14 MJ/kg. To consume 194 MJ would require 13.9 kg of wood.

$100 / 600 kg = $0.16 / kg; 13.9 kg/day of wood would cost $2.31/day.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

16 cent saving?

Sod that! Give me gas every time. I HATE this damn woodburner with a passion. When i get to Aus i shall demand a home with proper heating.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:23 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Your financial health.

Badge

they should be banned, bloke next door has one and it stinks my house out.

bastard.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
16 cent saving?

Sod that! Give me gas every time. I HATE this damn woodburner with a passion. When i get to Aus i shall demand a home with proper heating.
Ah, but with wood, you get warm 12 times:

1. When the wife calls you a lazy good for nothing wot won't cut wood,
2. When you file the chain saw,
3. When you turn on the heater in the ute,
4. When you cut down the dead trees into lengths,
5. When you chuck the lengths in the ute,
6. When chuck the lengths on the wood pile,
7. When you split the lenghts,
8. When you stack the split wood in the wood shed,
9. When you carry the split wood from the wood shed into the house,
10. When you blow on the fire to start it,
11. When you sit by the fire, and,
12. When you take out the ashes.

Whereas all that money you pay for gas only warms you once - and then it's gone!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Ah, but with wood, you get warm 12 times:

1. When the wife calls you a lazy good for nothing wot won't cut wood,
2. When you file the chain saw,
3. When you turn on the heater in the ute,
4. When you cut down the dead trees into lengths,
5. When you chuck the lengths in the ute,
6. When chuck the lengths on the wood pile,
7. When you split the lenghts,
8. When you stack the split wood in the wood shed,
9. When you carry the split wood from the wood shed into the house,
10. When you blow on the fire to start it,
11. When you sit by the fire, and,
12. When you take out the ashes.

Whereas all that money you pay for gas only warms you once - and then it's gone!

LOL... you also forgot getting up and down all evening to keep putting the wood on.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Badge
I was gonna say about 3 weeks for use all day. How good am I
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:50 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

It's difficult to tell from the photo but it looks about the same as the amount of logs we get for £40 - they last all winter (in fact we got a slightly larger amount this year and still plenty left), we have the fire lit most evenings and sometimes all day on a Sunday during winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.