Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Woo Hoo, I have got a job in Brisbane (Well sort of!!!)

Woo Hoo, I have got a job in Brisbane (Well sort of!!!)

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Woo Hoo, I have got a job in Brisbane (Well sort of!!!)

I have been in sunny Brisbane for 5 months now and as I work in IT I was finding it a bit of a struggle getting a job. By far the largest employers here are the State and Local governments and I have found that the chances of getting a job with them is very slim as the majority of the positions go internally. (Internally here also includes relatives of people who work there!)

Agencies are next to useless as Brisbane is now saturated with agencies and you end up getting five or more agencies chasing after one job. I have found that job adverts on the Internet (Seek.com.au and Careerone.com.au) are only ‘open’ for an hour or so as agencies just get inundated and to receive over 100 applications isn’t uncommon!
I was also told that if an a company gets ten applicants that all meet the selection criteria they will single you out for being a pom and not having any Australian references and file you in the bin.

Anyway I have managed to get an IT job on the sunshine coast, so I guess I will have to move up there.

For all of those people who are looking for employment in Brisbane, keep the faith and something will come along soon. For all of the people in IT and are looking at moving to South East Queensland, you need enough cash to last you a good six months and lots of sun lotion because the cheapest thing to do is go to the beach.

Good luck everyone!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Woo Hoo, I have got a job in Brisbane (Well sort of!!!)

Originally posted by pabloako
I have been in sunny Brisbane for 5 months now and as I work in IT I was finding it a bit of a struggle getting a job. By far the largest employers here are the State and Local governments and I have found that the chances of getting a job with them is very slim as the majority of the positions go internally. (Internally here also includes relatives of people who work there!)

Agencies are next to useless as Brisbane is now saturated with agencies and you end up getting five or more agencies chasing after one job. I have found that job adverts on the Internet (Seek.com.au and Careerone.com.au) are only ‘open’ for an hour or so as agencies just get inundated and to receive over 100 applications isn’t uncommon!
I was also told that if an a company gets ten applicants that all meet the selection criteria they will single you out for being a pom and not having any Australian references and file you in the bin.

Anyway I have managed to get an IT job on the sunshine coast, so I guess I will have to move up there.

For all of those people who are looking for employment in Brisbane, keep the faith and something will come along soon. For all of the people in IT and are looking at moving to South East Queensland, you need enough cash to last you a good six months and lots of sun lotion because the cheapest thing to do is go to the beach.

Good luck everyone!
Congrats to you too, been a good day for people getting jobs then
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 7:08 am
Badge

Default Re: Woo Hoo, I have got a job in Brisbane (Well sort of!!!)

Originally posted by dotty
Congrats to you too, been a good day for people getting jobs then
I had a mixed bag too.

Here in Melbourne they were getting 200 applications for each job; I took heart from the fact I at least got a call for most of them. So I had done enough to get 'noticed'. And being a Pom wasn't necessarily a problem.

The job I got through to the last 2 on went to someone who had worked for their clients in another role. They had problems finding someone for the role but were impressed with me technically and were about to give me the job even though I haven't even got the skill set!! But at the last moment they found someone, and had to call a director's meeting as they couldn't decide who to go for. Just about every agency in Melbourne had been sending in candiates who were unsuitable it seemed.

badge

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Paul, i was wondering how you were going!
Its been a lovely day here on the forum
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on the job front.

footie chick