Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wol's building progress

Wol's building progress

Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wol's building progress

For information, our building approval took just over 7 weeks from submission, which seems about average here. There are probably quite a few hoops still to jump through - like submitting plans for the builder's access over the water main (!) etc but it's a relief to be starting in earnest at last.

Today they started drilling the water bore, watched intently by a couple of hungry kookaburras. Gawd knows where we are going to dispose of all the slurry!
Attached Thumbnails Wol's building progress-drilling.jpg   Wol's building progress-puzzled-kookaburra.jpg  

Last edited by Wol; Aug 29th 2006 at 11:05 am. Reason: attachments
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wol's building progress

I'd hate to be involved in this one.

You'll be watching them like a hawk.

I was looking at a house being built - I stroll around it at the weekends - and you know what, when you look at the mechanics of framing timber, there are only so many ways you can knock them up.

If more Australians used double cavity brick....
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

"Today they started drilling the water bore, watched intently by a couple of hungry kookaburras. Gawd knows where we are going to dispose of all the slurry!"

I didn't realise kookaburras produced that much slurry?!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windog
"Today they started drilling the water bore, watched intently by a couple of hungry kookaburras. Gawd knows where we are going to dispose of all the slurry!"

I didn't realise kookaburras produced that much slurry?!!
LOL!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I'd hate to be involved in this one.

You'll be watching them like a hawk.

I was looking at a house being built - I stroll around it at the weekends - and you know what, when you look at the mechanics of framing timber, there are only so many ways you can knock them up.

If more Australians used double cavity brick....
A necessary evil! We believe we've chosen a good builder: he is certainly very proactive and has been well ahead of the game in getting quotes, materials information etc. He is also very hands-on, which is refreshing here.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
For information, our building approval took just over 7 weeks from submission, which seems about average here. There are probably quite a few hoops still to jump through - like submitting plans for the builder's access over the water main (!) etc but it's a relief to be starting in earnest at last.

Today they started drilling the water bore, watched intently by a couple of hungry kookaburras. Gawd knows where we are going to dispose of all the slurry!
Thanks for the update.

How big is the plot? How far away does the septic tank need to be from the bore?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Thanks for the update.

How big is the plot? How far away does the septic tank need to be from the bore?
It's a nice 4000m2: no septic tank since we're main sewage. (I hope!)

Good news is that they found lots of nice water - 7.5 Ltrs/sec - just as forcast. The driller wouldn't give a "no water: no charge" guarantee but I had every confidence in him.

As an aside, more than anywhere else, personal recommendations are absolutely necessary. Trade and state qualifications mean nothing and all trades have large numbers of cowboys and incompetents - fully licenced - doing horrendous jobs. Better to go by others' recommendations.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
It's a nice 4000m2: no septic tank since we're main sewage. (I hope!)

Good news is that they found lots of nice water - 7.5 Ltrs/sec - just as forcast. The driller wouldn't give a "no water: no charge" guarantee but I had every confidence in him.

As an aside, more than anywhere else, personal recommendations are absolutely necessary. Trade and state qualifications mean nothing and all trades have large numbers of cowboys and incompetents - fully licenced - doing horrendous jobs. Better to go by others' recommendations.

Sounds Fab - am VERY jealous.

Good luck with everything - and keep, keeping us updated when you can.