Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wollongong area - stuff for families?

Wollongong area - stuff for families?

Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

barnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nice
Default Wollongong area - stuff for families?

Hi,
We are hoping to move over later this year - probably to the Austinmer/Thirroul/Bulli area. We have x3 kids - aged 6, 4 & 2 - who regularly get taken to the park/farm/musuems etc in the UK.

Does anyone know of any family friendly places to visit around this area? (within a 45 minute drive?). Or any good clubs to join? Swimming/gymnastics etc. I'm the kind of mum that needs to be out and about with the kids (rather than stuck indoors) so any advice welcome!

Many thanks

Sally
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:23 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wollongong area - stuff for families?

There's an awesome little ride on steam train down there (can't remember exactly where, I'm sure Google will know!).
Symbio Wildlife Park is close enough to Wollongong, there's horse riding in Otford, rock pool in Austinmere, North Beach in the Gong itself is lovely for swimming and just hanging out. My brother & family live in Wollongong and they're always out with the kids doing stuff so I reckon you're set!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:01 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Jamberoo water park, illawarra fly, minnamurra rainforest, Kiama blow hole, Thirroul beach park, darkes forest trail riding, dapto go karts...........heaps of stuff.

Are you buying or renting? You've picked the most expensive part of the Illawarra for either and both are in short supply unless you are willing to pay over the odds. Woonona and Russell Vale are better value, still nice suburbs, close to the water, shops, schools etc, just not as pricy!

Good luck, gives us a shout when you get here!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

barnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nice

Thanks for the advice - i've looked up a few of the places online and they look excellent - exactly what i was hoping for!

We've decided on that area for a few reasons even though we know it is more expensive than others. These are schools (Austinmer Public School is our preference), slightly closer to Sydney for daily commute and we live in a fairly rural spot in the UK so we wanted to be on the edge of a built up area. Plus they look like really nice areas.

Thanks again

Sally
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:33 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

HI Sally,
We live in Bulli so know all this area very well. I work in the city (or at home!!) and my son (7) goes to the local public school.
With the beaches right on our doorstep and plenty of parks and playgrounds you will not be lost for things to do. Lots of options for clubs and out of school activities, our lad does Football on Mondays, Drama on Tuesdays, Swimming on Wednesdays and Nippers on Sundays during the summer.
The area itself is cheaper than beachside suburbs in the city (we used to live in Manly so know all about that) but yes a bit more pricier than other northern Wollongong suburbs...for a good reason. It has a great local feel and easy access to City and South Coast via good roads and rail.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh...also my wife is part of a local expats coffee and play group which meet up every now and then for the mums to chat and the kids to play, so you will find like for like company down here.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Paddyo - you seem to have followed a similar pattern to us. We lived in Australia previously (10 years ago before the kids) and lived in Manly too. We loved it but know that it wouldn't be the right place to go back to with a young family - too expensive for one.

Out if interest how did you find getting a rental property in Bulli (presuming you are renting)? I've heard it can be a nightmare in Sydney but was hoping it might be a little better around Wollongong. Also how does your lad find the school? Did he settle in well?

Thanks for your help!

Sally
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Well Sally another couple have just moved here from UK after spending time in Manly about 10 years ago too!! It seems to be the place where grown ups live!!
We love Manly but yes the cost of rentals is high (we were paying $750 for a 2 bed apartment....but what views!!) and as much as I love the town and beach it seems all the idiots come out after 10pm...but thats most places really!
We found our place online and came down to view purely on a whim. Wife was looking to give up work after an injury and wanted to be a full time Mum and I had the option of working from home so it tied in well. I had been through Bulli/Thirroul etc quite a few times when visiting friends down in Jervis Bay and it seemed...natural...yes a bit tired in some places but it looked to me what a traditional ozzie beach town might be like. We saw the property on the Saturday morning, put all our paperwork in Saturday afternoon (ex-scout, always prepared!!) and was accepted by Tuesday morning!~!
Looking for rentals can be a challenge, but we have always got what we wanted. Call it luck/judgement or simply me or the wife flirting with the Rental Agent but it works. When we found the property we liked we went all out to get it, charmed the agent, engaged them in their knowledge of the area, talked about kids and how funny they can be!! I would suggest that for yourselves to budget about $600 per week for a decent 3 bed house for your family. You can get cheaper sometimes with still good facilities, but that $600 should be good enough as a maximum and for planning.
Our son settled in school fabulously, he had already done half a year up in Sydney and the transition here was very easy and friendly. A lot of people stress out about schools for some reason and make that their number one priority when moving here, to my mind that is a big mistake. A BAD school is rare and they are all pretty good around here, so even if you have your heart set on one particular school and don't get it then do not be disheartened. I am interested to know why you have 'chosen' Austinmer Public School?
As for settling in, Mums at school gates are a prime method of making new friends for both the parents and the kids...go with the flow, it will be fun!! As an example, we arrived on 2 June down here and on the 15th he was attending his first kids birthday party...then the weekend after that..and the weekend after that!! Kids parties are de rigour down here!!
Wollongong itself I do not rate, has a half decent mall and a good little harbour beach side area, but its a shitty town and can get a bit rough...just think Milton Keynes!! But the northern beach suburbs above it are generally all nice...just be careful with Bellambi, Tarrawanna and some parts of Corrimal. Woonona and above are generally all nice..although even though I say it myself, Thirroul is the better one due to shops/cafes/main train station etc. I love where we live but only because we have truly stunning views and are right on the beach, otherwise Bulli doesn't offer much else.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Paddyo,
Thanks for all the info - really helpful. We have a budget of $600-700pw for a house so hope we could find something suitable although properties around Austinmer seem few & far between. We may have to change our location plans now anyway as my hubby is currently speaking to a couple of companies in North Ryde which I don't really think is commutable from that area. We are thinking of the Central coast as a possibility.
Thanks for your tips for rentals and meeting new friends - I figured the best way to meet new people was through the kids (my current set of friends was acquired this way). Do you find you have a good mix of Aussie and ex-pat friends over there?
Again thanks for your help!
Sally
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Hi Sally,
North Ryde is the hub of IT and modern engineering companies and our company had an office there for a while. You could commute from this part of the coast but it would be a 2hr journey, although only one change. We did look at the Central Coast, particularly Terrigal, but I discounted it due to the appalling motorway road and the fact that Gosford is not exactly a beacon of modern living and is the main train station for the Central Coast beach towns, but others who live there will obviously sing its praises.
As for mix of friends, mostly Ozzie friends where we live but I meet up with a load of expats on Thursdays in the Sydney CBD for a few after work drinks...keeps my sanity!
Keep an open mind on your location, it really won't make any sense until you get here judging by internet and opinions. Lane Cove is a nice family suburb but I don't know the rental prices there, again check out Domain.com for weekly rent prices and what you MIGHT get...pictures lie though so use it as a guide only!
Enjoy your search!!