Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Woking Mum's - Employers understand?

Woking Mum's - Employers understand?

Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Woking Mum's - Employers understand?

I have heard that Aus employers are very "family friendly" and often offer "school hours" as an option (ie 9.00am to 2.45pm). Is this true? Is this spcific only to the biggers cities? ...or is it the exception?

Nix
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woking Mum's - Employers understand?

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
I have heard that Aus employers are very "family friendly" and often offer "school hours" as an option (ie 9.00am to 2.45pm). Is this true? Is this spcific only to the biggers cities? ...or is it the exception?

Nix
I work for Qld Govt and we have quite a few people who juggle "flexi-time" fulltime work around their kids - often coming in early but leaving when the kids finish school, or finishing early some days each week so they only pay for daycare 1 or 2 days. Also they take time off when the kids are sick, and some bring the kids in to work during school holidays.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Nix

Pretty difficult to get jobs that fit around school hours (talking from my experience in Brisbane) and very competitive as so many mums want part time hours, however govt/public sector is pretty flexible in this space. Check out SEEK www.seek.com.au to get a feel of what's on offer. Good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to interview for the job I have now I made it clear that I have children and live 45 minutes from the office. The answer? "Great! We'll get you a laptop and you can log in from home". My husband is away this week for work so today I went to the office at 8:30 after the kids left for school and left to come home at about 3:30.
My job in Adelaide was the same. Work whatever hours were most convenient for me so long as the work got done. Sometimes I would go in on a Saturday to catch up but for the most part I worked 9-4.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Nix
I work for one of the main banks based in Perth and I have found them to be very family friendly - probably helped as my boss has a daughter 2 weeks younger than my son so can relate but know that other mums in the bank also treated very well when it comes to kids and working hours.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
I work for one of the main banks based in Perth and I have found them to be very family friendly - probably helped as my boss has a daughter 2 weeks younger than my son so can relate but know that other mums in the bank also treated very well when it comes to kids and working hours.
Try this link for working moms

http://www.careermums.com.au/

I've has a look through but as I'm not in Oz til early 2008 it's pointless going any further with an application. Maybe it will be of some use to you.

Trish
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:13 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrum
Try this link for working moms

http://www.careermums.com.au/

I've has a look through but as I'm not in Oz til early 2008 it's pointless going any further with an application. Maybe it will be of some use to you.

Trish
Just noticed where you are from - my best friends husband is from Abbeyleix
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sme
Just noticed where you are from - my best friends husband is from Abbeyleix
It's a small world after all. LOL What's the family name I might know them as it's a small town.

We've come here the long way though - not born and bred

Me
Cork
Dublin
London
Warwickshire
Northamptonshire
Abbeyleix
Soon to Melbourne

Hubby is
Dublin
Sydney
London
Dublin
London
Warwickshire
Northamptonshire
Abbeyleix
Soon to be Melbourne

Itchy feet syndrome is rampant.

Trish
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:23 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

It's a small world after all. LOL What's the family name I might know them as it's a small town.

We've come here the long way though - not born and bred

Me
Cork
Dublin
London
Warwickshire
Northamptonshire
Abbeyleix
Soon to Melbourne

Hubby is
Dublin
Sydney
London
Dublin
London
Warwickshire
Northamptonshire
Abbeyleix
Soon to be Melbourne

Itchy feet syndrome is rampant.

Trish
Lyons - Theres not really much to Abbeyleix

My husbands from Wexford now Perth via St Albans, Hertfordshire.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sme
Lyons - Theres not really much to Abbeyleix

My husbands from Wexford now Perth via St Albans, Hertfordshire.
Name of Lyons doesn't ring a bell with me but then as I said I'm not from here originally, thank God. Yeah it is small with a small town attitude. Very different from the villages we lived in over in the UK. We moved back 4 years ago and picked here cause it was half way between the familys (Cork and Dublin). It's been tough at times but things do get easier - bit like it will be for us in Oz I suppose. Thing is we've moved so often I'm not in the least bit fazed by going to new area, different country and having to make friends all over again. It will work out.

Trish
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nix
in my experience so far , DEFINATELY NOT in nursing
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:36 am
sme
......in the sand !

Name of Lyons doesn't ring a bell with me but then as I said I'm not from here originally, thank God. Yeah it is small with a small town attitude.

Thats why he left at 17 to come to the UK

Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I work for Qld Govt and we have quite a few people who juggle "flexi-time" fulltime work around their kids - often coming in early but leaving when the kids finish school, or finishing early some days each week so they only pay for daycare 1 or 2 days. Also they take time off when the kids are sick, and some bring the kids in to work during school holidays.
Hi Pollyana,

I don't suppose you know whether this would apply to legal advisors either employed to work in the (district?) court and or the equivalent of the crown prosecution service do you?

I am a solicitor and would like to try to get a govt. position in one of these areas but would certainly want some flexibility for childcare.

Nicky