Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

Any helpful peeps want to help us new comers to aus????
I thought it would be really helpful if we could devise a bit of a list of things that, in hindsight you wished you'd taken with you to aus!

Putting things into consideration like cost, availability etc

Items noted before were;
manchester (bedding)
electric heaters

Could all you lovely folk that have had the experience of moving help us make a really useful list so we know what not to carboot?? xxx

Sam
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

Originally Posted by sammyg
I thought it would be really helpful if we could devise a bit of a list of things that, in hindsight you wished you'd taken with you to aus!

Items noted before were;
manchester (bedding)
electric heaters

Could all you lovely folk that have had the experience of moving help us make a really useful list so we know what not to carboot?? xxx

Sam
Wish someone would have taken me
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:14 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

My suit!

........or better still, that I'd taken advantage of the tailors at our hotel in Singapore on the way over. They were offering bespoke, made to measure suits for the equivalent of £70!!!

Have so far struggled to find a decent suit here in Oz. Everything is made in poxy 'China' and falls apart in no time! Had to take one back earlier in the week after the seam came unstiched within seconds of putting it on!

Anyone tell me where I can buy a cheap(ish) yet good quality whistle in Bris?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:29 pm
Kate,Mark,Jack and Scott

sunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to allsunny somers is a name known to all

oooh! good call I'm gonna keep an eye on this one.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:59 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

yeah nice thread kiddo, not left yet so hoping for a good response on this one
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Decent underwear and socks for the whole family.
Towels.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:13 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

A large framed airbrushed picture of a Ferrari that will look just dandy in the spare room when we bring it back next year.

Other than that, nothing, I sold most of my belongings.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sammyg

Items noted before were;
manchester (bedding)
electric heaters

Sam
Rotary washing line - they cost a fortune over here!!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

British TV - Oz is sooooo bad...a mean ABC were showing old Time Team on evening primetime! X-Factor or Popidol or what ever its called over here singers are soooo bad, they would have got laughed off the first round in UK.

Pork Pies from Brichalls (anyone from St Helens will know!)

PUBS PUBS PUBS - All the ones near where we live are just betting shops serving beer. Turn the flipin' horse racing, dog racing, other rubbish off the TV's and put some music on PLEASE!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Books, bedding, towels, chocolate, computer hardware, mobile handset, 2in1 shampoo, sanitary product of choice, nice underwear
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:57 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Angle delight
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Not quite the same but one thing we were glad we took was an electric blanket, never used one in the UK but saw some advice somewhere about how useful it is here so we did buy one and take it.. houses here are as porous as a sponge and have little insulation and no central heating...

Only thing i wish i could have bought but didn't was my old MG midget.. would have been great driving it here, there are some great roads in the hills
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Pint glasses

We got rid of all ours thinking we'd buy new ones when we got here but havent found any yet...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:27 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridie
Pint glasses

We got rid of all ours thinking we'd buy new ones when we got here but havent found any yet...
Really? I'm building a nice collection of glasses that come free with some multipacks of import brews. The Belgian glasses are particularly fine and the embossed Stella Artois one is my favourite.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxall22
Books, bedding, towels, chocolate, computer hardware, mobile handset, 2in1 shampoo, sanitary product of choice, nice underwear
Also good shoes, I find shoes are so uncomfortable here & so expensive, Suits is another good one my OH, had to buy one here, it cost him fortune, if you can bring everything than go for it, what you dont want when here you can always sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.