Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

Originally Posted by Tracey O
A little off topic but how did you cope whilst waiting for your stuff to arrive. We leave on the 6th Nov, and our stuff will take at least 12 weeks to join us, I don't want spend a fortune on stuff that I know we already got

You may suggest a fully furnished rental, but it's hard to find one that will take our pets!!

x
we got a partially furnished place,

beds, sofa and dining table and chairs basically

Rent for the house was 240 a week and we paid an extra 10 a week for the furniture

There were plenty of part furnished properties round by us that were happy to take our two dogs as well

Lis.xx
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
we got a partially furnished place,

beds, sofa and dining table and chairs basically

Rent for the house was 240 a week and we paid an extra 10 a week for the furniture

There were plenty of part furnished properties round by us that were happy to take our two dogs as well

Lis.xx
pounds or dollars
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:52 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Smile Re: the 'Wish you'd have taken to aus' thread

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Alot of dry-cleaners will do "normal" laundry for you. Sydney Eastern Suburbs price was $35 for 3 large bags (colours, whites and lights) washed and dried..... As a price guide our new Samsung cost us $700 (but we got $150 cashback as it was a water-saving model) Didnt find much in the way of DIY laundrettes like they have in the UK but that could just be us.....
Hi

They have a laundromat in Rockingham if any one is interested.

Angie
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by railman2404
pounds or dollars
dollars - we are in Aus
Old Oct 14th 2007, 8:50 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Don't they sell coathangers in packs?
Yes but they are crap!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Treacle Tart
Yes but they are crap!
No they're not. It depends where you get them from. Kmart sell packs of clothes hangers that are brilliant.

Answer to original question - nothing. We brought majority of our stuff and have found anything else we need. Only exception is Solpadeine. We bought stacks of boxes but now get it via UK internet pharmacy.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:56 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth buying a kitchen knife set, good cutlery and a set of pans over here or are they about the same price over there?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
The Rabbit for the wife.
what you didnt bring it hahahah
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:39 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
what you didnt bring it hahahah
ohh I wouldn't worry too much. I understand they have a good range of rabbits in most cities - in all colours and they are very well trained. They do whatever the owner wants them to do..
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Twin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud ofTwin Peaks has much to be proud of

Kettle

Iron

Hot water bottles, didn't need them last Winter in Brisbane, but this Winter was very chilly at night and first thing.

Gloves and scarves

Big bin for indoors, they have these 'bag bins' here that you use your shopping carrier to line it, but they are so small that they are filled in no time.
They don't have lids on either, so if you have a glutton for a cat as we do they are forever sticking their head in it to see if there is a tasty bit of leftovers they can nick
Wish we'd bought our stainless steel one over as they cost the earth here

Duvet covers, especially kids favourite footy ones as you can't get them here.

Agree about the Angle delight...disgusting here!
Fish and chips
Cornish Pasties
Proper Rodas clotted creammmmmmm
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:15 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Coathangers? Sweet Jesus ...

While you're at it bring a shedload of blu-tack because it just isn't as sticky over here.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Coathangers? Sweet Jesus ...

While you're at it bring a shedload of blu-tack because it just isn't as sticky over here.
that's women for you, practical without being useful
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracey O
I am not too fussed about the beds as we need to buy a new one when we arrive, our old one will be a spare bed. I have just bought a washer dryer, due to our old one blowing up, so I don't know how to survive without spending more money. Someone suggested selling it and buying new out there, which I am considering at the moment. But it's things like Kettle and Toasters arrraagggghh I am really worried that the first few months are gonna stress me out now : (

Aaaahhh I guess I'll have to get over it
Kettles and toasters are so cheap, just buy when you arrive
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

MORE MONEY
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I swore to myself I wouldn't but I can't help myself. Have you guys actually read what you've written? Seriously?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.