Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 'Wish we had' thread

The 'Wish we had' thread

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:36 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default The 'Wish we had' thread

OK Guys, we are flying out to Perth in mid-May, and as thousands of you will already have gone through what we are embarking on, I thought I would start a .........wish we had thread. Then hopefully we and other soon to migrate familys can learn from your experiences.

So what do you all wish you had done, it could be anything, left the washing machine at home, bought a house sooner, rented for longer, had a leaving party.........not had one, got a bigger/smaller container, brought more warm clothes instead of giving them to the charity shop thinking they would be of no use.........etc. etc.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Brought everything we owned with us
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Bought loads of nice good quality clothes for ME before I left UK. Find it ok here for hubby and kids but I constantly feel like a dag. Clothes being quite expensive in comparison to our earnings doesn't help.

Also, chucked most of my winter things including my Next Darth Vader style dressing gown covered in baby puke from over the years but GOD it was warm. Wish I'd taken them all.

Sort of wish we'd had a big leaving do but at the time I couldn't have been bothered with it all.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Another thing is that I wish we had taken a few more momentos of UK, like things from favourite holiday places, our home town etc, just thing for the kids to look back on as they grow up and show to their kids. Bit silly really, but my hubby has postcards from all his holidays as a child and I think it's quite sweet now.

I suppose folk from Uk can always send them out but its nicer to have your own memrobilia.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all
Default i wish we had

brought all my mates from the uk with us.
Even if I had to knock them out first.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:31 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wish I had

bought a new Dyson in the UK before we left. They're twice as much out here.

Jane
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:54 am
Badge

Default Re: Wish I had

I wish I had....

(discovered) and moved to Australia sooner...

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:56 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wish I had

Originally posted by badgersmount
I wish I had....

(discovered) and moved to Australia sooner...

Me too. Or I wish things hadn't turned out the way they have and we were on course to move to Oz this year...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:00 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

bought more tools in the uk from Cosco and Makro they were mega cheap compared to here.
And wish we hadnt dropped the asking price for our house should have just have held fast
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:01 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we had done this emigrating lark before we had had kids
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:08 am
Badge

Frankly I have come to Australia at a new chapter in my life, early 30s, no kids about to marry. I'd hate to have kids in the UK but am looking forward to them over here.

Nice line under UK and Europe - the first 30 years.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:10 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Frankly I have come to Australia at a new chapter in my life, early 30s, no kids about to marry. I'd hate to have kids in the UK but am looking forward to them over here.

Nice line under UK and Europe - the first 30 years.

Same here - wouldn't want to have kids over here. Shall have them in Oz. Eventually. Got to be in Oz by the time I turn 30 though...
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The 'Wish we had' thread

Originally posted by sandradee
OK Guys, we are flying out to Perth in mid-May, and as thousands of you will already have gone through what we are embarking on, I thought I would start a .........wish we had thread. Then hopefully we and other soon to migrate familys can learn from your experiences.

So what do you all wish you had done, it could be anything, left the washing machine at home, bought a house sooner, rented for longer, had a leaving party.........not had one, got a bigger/smaller container, brought more warm clothes instead of giving them to the charity shop thinking they would be of no use.........etc. etc.

excellent thread will be watching keenly...please share ur experiences if u have time from your busy life of going to the beach, sunning yourselves and being out and about!!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Going to the beach - I should be so lucky! Sunning myself - I'm married to an Aussie, so we spend our time with the curtains drawn to keep the sun out, and the air con on to keep it cold indoors. Can't go out cos its too hot/sunny/humid.

Wish I had....brought more woolly socks - air con can freeze your feet! ......Given my t-shirts to Oxfam, I'm sure they'd wear then nore than I do. ......Brought a portable tv to connect my video up to - the tv shows here are so bad I want to retreat to the pile of videos I brought.
Wish I had ......met my Bloke years ago and moved here earlier...I mght moan, but I love him really!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:50 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

wish we had........

used a 40 ft container and brought a lot more lof our uk stuff. including all the 'junk' tools we gave away at boot sales and garden tools and furniture which would not have been a problem to bring the customs are very fair.

Sold the uk tv's and videos (for a pittance) but we could have started off with an oz tv and saved a pile of hassle.

Taken longer to buy the house - we may not have bought this one and saved again some hassles due to a 'dodgy vendor' You may feel you are being 'rude' but when you are taken around houses by an estate agent it is much more difficult to look closely at things. Do this even if it makes you unpopular - we might have noticed the broken heaters, the empty gas bottles (they said were full) the leak in the hot water tank, the immovable stain in the toilet bowl (beware the loo-blue) The dodgy wiring, the actual state of the decor (if they don't have the lights on ask them to do so - there obviously was a reason.!!

However remember people are the same all over the world. Our problems were of our own making - as we made the decisions

Last edited by yafm; Apr 2nd 2004 at 8:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.