Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wireless laptops - would a uk one work out there or buy in OZ?

Wireless laptops - would a uk one work out there or buy in OZ?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:32 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wireless laptops - would a uk one work out there or buy in OZ?

Hi

We are sending our desktop over in our container so need to sort ourselves out with a laptop asap so we can use the internet to search for jobs, write covering letters etc and email people back home. We are going to be spending the first 2-3 weeks driving up the coast and deciding where we want to settle so don't anticipate having a rental until 6 weeks after we arrive. Therefore we wont be able to plug a lap top into a phone cable without being charged a bundle.

We think it will therefore be worth getting a wireless laptop so we can use the internet anywhere. I have looked on here and people seem to think it is worth buying a laptop before we go as better deals to be had but I was wondering would a wireless laptop bought in the uk work in OZ?

I don't actually know much about wireless laptops but I think you buy a card for your internet access? Is this right? Would we maybe just buy a card over there?

Sorry if I sound a bit dim on this one. Thanks in advance for any help
Michelle
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wireless laptops - would a uk one work out there or buy in OZ?

Hi

UK laptop will work fine in OZ, the wireless standards are global.

If you want a good deal then go to:
www.dmxdimension.com

I sell Dell PC's (50 odd last year) and they are very reliable and value for money (BTW Dmxdimension has got nothing to do with me and I'm not trying to sell you anything)

I wouldn't recommend the lower end models but the 6400 model is really nice.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:41 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thats great, thank you. How much would we expect to pay for a half decent wireless laptop? Our desktop is pretty new and we have bought all the softwear (Office etc) so can I use those disks to load it onto the lap top so I don't have to buy it again?

How does wireless work? WHat do we have to buy to make it work? Is it like buying a pre-paid phone card and when you use up your credit it stops working??
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:42 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

We are sending our desktop over in our container so need to sort ourselves out with a laptop asap so we can use the internet to search for jobs, write covering letters etc and email people back home. We are going to be spending the first 2-3 weeks driving up the coast and deciding where we want to settle so don't anticipate having a rental until 6 weeks after we arrive. Therefore we wont be able to plug a lap top into a phone cable without being charged a bundle.

We think it will therefore be worth getting a wireless laptop so we can use the internet anywhere. I have looked on here and people seem to think it is worth buying a laptop before we go as better deals to be had but I was wondering would a wireless laptop bought in the uk work in OZ?

I don't actually know much about wireless laptops but I think you buy a card for your internet access? Is this right? Would we maybe just buy a card over there?

Sorry if I sound a bit dim on this one. Thanks in advance for any help
Michelle
UK wireless laptops will work in Aus - it's a worlwide standard. Certain "hotspots" will allow you to buy access (sometimes in the form of a card) for example in airports and in most internet cafe's. Not sure about Oz but some coffee shops here give you free access if you buy something. In terms of access from home it works the same as your desktop - you need an internet providor and you'll plug a modem into your laptop (if you want to use it wirelessly at home you need a wireless router). Hope that helps
Martyn
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:46 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi

UK laptop will work fine in OZ, the wireless standards are global.
You beat me to it

If you want a good deal then go to:
www.dmxdimension.com
Never seen www.dmxdimension.com before very useful....
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:47 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

I am feeling very stupid today, lap tops are not my thing!

So a wireless laptop does not mean we can just use it anywhere, we would need to go somewhere which has it, like an internet cafe? Is that right? So in that case will it make much difference from just having a normal one? Most hotewls allow access but I guess they charge a fortune to plug in. What did you all do when you arrived in OZ and needed to search for jobs? Did you use an internet cafe or just the paper? Will still need a lap top to print off CV's etc. Oh this is a nightmare! :scared:
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:47 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

How does wireless work? WHat do we have to buy to make it work? Is it like buying a pre-paid phone card and when you use up your credit it stops working??
Lots of info at www.ozcableguy.com.au
And thats the really cheap place to buy hardware from as well!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:56 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

hi

we swear by dell
we have two dell pcs and 2 dell laptops all excellent no problems with any fast delivery

what more can i say

they are as cheap or as expensive as you want we bought the cheapest and they are brill
(should be on commission) lol

jan xx
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:59 am
tin
Brisbane bound

I am feeling very stupid today, lap tops are not my thing!

So a wireless laptop does not mean we can just use it anywhere, we would need to go somewhere which has it, like an internet cafe? Is that right? So in that case will it make much difference from just having a normal one?
There is a wireless card you can get to use your laptop with the mobile networks (such as vodafone) but those cost a small fortune to use. Otherwise there needs to be a wireless network available which you have access to, either your own or one that you have paid to access (like an internet cafe). But almost all laptops come with wireless built in anyway and it can be useful once you have a wireless network at home - web surfing in the garden for example

Most hotewls allow access but I guess they charge a fortune to plug in. What did you all do when you arrived in OZ and needed to search for jobs? Did you use an internet cafe or just the paper? Will still need a lap top to print off CV's etc. Oh this is a nightmare! :scared:
When we were there on our Reccie we just used the internet cafes own PC's which were very cheap and you could print cheaply from them too.... They were quite a few in Brisbane and I guess most other cities will be the same so no need to panic
Martyn
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thats great, thank you. How much would we expect to pay for a half decent wireless laptop? Our desktop is pretty new and we have bought all the softwear (Office etc) so can I use those disks to load it onto the lap top so I don't have to buy it again?

£518 for a decent 6400, if you sign up for Quidco (www.quidco.com) you will get 6% cash back as well. You can get the cashback paid into a Paypal account or direct into your bank

Someone else will reply re wireless hotspots, but it is safe to say that they are really easy to use and not that expensive. When you get ADSL in your house you will need to buy a wireless router (about £50 - £100). You should (depending on the size of your house) be able to get internet all around your house wirelessly
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

We bought a laptop to take with us. We plugged in into the phone socket at our initial rental apartment and apparently nearly blew the computer up as the phone system was not compatible !!!

Surfing is easy as most MacDonalds have wireless hot spots so you can pay via credit card (not expensive) and either sit in or even in your car outside !

Priniting is another issue as you can hardly carry a printer around with you. All libraries have internet access in Melbourne, and printers, much moreso than UK I have found.

the internet cafes are not too expensive and we find that now we are settled in our home and have a wireless router (pronounced rowter) over here, we love the flexibility of it around the house.

But in answer to your main question, to access the internet on a wireless laptop, you have to access a hotspot, that someone else is providing, or create your own at home, but for that you need to sign up with and ISP provider and also get a router.

My laptop has a sensor in it that lets me know if it is near a hotspot.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:10 am
tin
Brisbane bound

£518 for a decent 6400, if you sign up for Quidco (www.quidco.com) you will get 6% cash back as well. You can get the cashback paid into a Paypal account or direct into your bank
Does quidco work for the Dell outlet too?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:12 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Hi
Thank you all for your help, I feel abit more with it now. Dell seem great, I think I will have a look.
Thanks again]