Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Wireless' laptops - can you get wireless internet in hotels ie.Singapore/ Australia?

'Wireless' laptops - can you get wireless internet in hotels ie.Singapore/ Australia?

Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:01 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Wireless' laptops - can you get wireless internet in hotels ie.Singapore/ Australia?

Hi,
Sorry to be a pest but just wondering if anyone could help me with my question!?

I have just bought a laptop with the Wireless technology in it - in my house I have a router to connect to my mothers cable broadband internet connection - my question is how do I access the internet when in a hotel? - we will be stopping over in Singapore. The laptop also has a 56k modem installed internally and it came with the telephone cable - trouble is i'd imagine that the phone socket connections would be different in Australia or Singapore - do you tend to be able to pick up a wireless connection?

Karma will be sent to anyone who can help!

Lynn
Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:16 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: 'Wireless' laptops - can you get wireless internet in hotels ie.Singapore/ Australia?

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi,
Sorry to be a pest but just wondering if anyone could help me with my question!?

I have just bought a laptop with the Wireless technology in it - in my house I have a router to connect to my mothers cable broadband internet connection - my question is how do I access the internet when in a hotel? - we will be stopping over in Singapore. The laptop also has a 56k modem installed internally and it came with the telephone cable - trouble is i'd imagine that the phone socket connections would be different in Australia or Singapore - do you tend to be able to pick up a wireless connection?

Lynn
A lot of places now have wireless internet now in Oz, including most Starbucks Cafe's. Singapore airport has wireless internet through out most areas of the terminal buildings, plus the hotel we stayed in had a p.c. in the room. Certainly every hotel we stayed in during our 3 months in Asia had cheap communal internet accessed p.c's. What we did was type emails on our own p.c.then put them on a cd. then used an internet cafe to send the files. Otherwise it is easy toget connectors to use dial up connections but you would need a ISP which has international dial in numbers....

Some of the IT B.expats may be able to help further.....
Old Jun 18th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice
Default Re: 'Wireless' laptops - can you get wireless internet in hotels ie.Singapore/ Australia?

Hi,

Lynn
We stayed in the Traders hotel in Singapore just plugged in our laptop in the room they supplied cable and paid for time used by credit card ie 1hr,1day or 1week blocks. As far as i know the cables are the same they look the same. Singapore airport has free internet connection. We bought a5m cable in Oz for $5 for internet connection as we are on dial-up at present. Have bought wi-fi modem router but have still to decide which broadband provider to use. Have tried to use wi-fi but not with much success not that computer literate. If you are looking for accomodation we booked the Traders hotel through Trailfinders pay for 2 nights get 3rd free including buffet breakfast for approx. £42 per night paid for 6 nights 3 nights free for 3 people.

Last edited by flumper; Jun 18th 2005 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

AndyPandy is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Lynn
Im not sure about Singapore. But ive been in sydney for a couple of weeks and initially signed up with www.dodo.com.au for a dial in connection really cheap no frills service. The phone connections here in oz are the same tiny telephone jack. I did however sign up with www.unwired.com.au which is basically an unwired braodband network anywhere in syndey. No telephone line necessary. No connection fees. I am very impressed so far. You are however required to buy a modem. There are alternate unwired equivalents with greater coverage in the rest of Australia. Connection fees however apply.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 5:41 pm

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies - karma sent by way of thanks - think I am slightly more clued now

Out of interest are phone plugs the same as UK ones in Oz - ie. will our digital cordless telephones work in Brisbane? Don't know if its worth shipping our home telephones?

Lynn
Old Jun 18th 2005, 5:54 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Wireless' laptops - can you get wireless internet in hotels ie.Singapore/ Austra

Will a uk broadband modem work in oz?
Old Jun 18th 2005, 5:55 pm

Default Re: 'Wireless' laptops - can you get wireless internet in hotels ie.Singapore/ Austra

Originally Posted by fraser
Will a uk broadband modem work in oz?
Good Q Fraser - that would of been my next question too!!! Anybody know?

Lynn
Old Jun 18th 2005, 5:57 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Good Q Fraser - that would of been my next question too!!! Anybody know?

Lynn
Just trying to give your fingers a rest Lynn
Old Jun 18th 2005, 7:01 pm
Sanctuary Lakes

Hector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really nice

Hi
We are in the Raffles Plaza in Singapore at this moment and the high speed connection is though an ethernet connection. It is about £10 per 24 hours and really quick.

Only 3 more days to Melbourne

Regards

Dave
Old Jun 18th 2005, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hector
Hi
We are in the Raffles Plaza in Singapore at this moment and the high speed connection is though an ethernet connection. It is about £10 per 24 hours and really quick.

Regards

Dave
Bloody hell Dave you're really going to notice the difference in temprature,
I went to Melbourne the same time of year from there, you're going to freeze your nuts off.

Although I bet you couldn't care less
Old Jun 18th 2005, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hector
Hi

Regards

Dave
Wow Dave thats great to know - we are staying in Raffles the Plaza on the 31st October for 4 nights - please tell me the hotel is nice!!? We have booked a premier deluxe room - how are you finding the hotel - would love to hear more about it -
I have an ethernet port in my laptop - does the hotel provide the cable for internet?

Lynn
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:35 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies - karma sent by way of thanks - think I am slightly more clued now

Out of interest are phone plugs the same as UK ones in Oz - ie. will our digital cordless telephones work in Brisbane? Don't know if its worth shipping our home telephones?

Lynn
Hi Lynn

No, the Au standard phone plugs are different to the BT ones. But even if you swap the cables to Au standard, only some models of digital cordless will actually work. I don't know which ones do, but the high-end BT ones we had didn't. (After carefully shipping them over here, we ended up taking them back to the UK last time we visited & my MIL/FIL are now the happy owners!). However, we have Pom friends who brought theirs, swapped the cables & it worked (not sure what make it is).

I guess the asnwer is - if you have room in the container, bring it anyway, but be prepared to have to buy an Au one if it turns out to be a model that doesn't work here.

HTH!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Lynn

No, the Au standard phone plugs are different to the BT ones. But even if you swap the cables to Au standard, only some models of digital cordless will actually work. I don't know which ones do, but the high-end BT ones we had didn't. (After carefully shipping them over here, we ended up taking them back to the UK last time we visited & my MIL/FIL are now the happy owners!). However, we have Pom friends who brought theirs, swapped the cables & it worked (not sure what make it is).

I guess the asnwer is - if you have room in the container, bring it anyway, but be prepared to have to buy an Au one if it turns out to be a model that doesn't work here.

HTH!

Cheers,
Anya.
Cheers Anya - karma sent! Will take our cordless with us - it cost 80 pound and is a Phillips one - will be worth trying it anyway even if we have to buy another one!

Lynn