Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wireless laptop in Aus query

wireless laptop in Aus query

Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default wireless laptop in Aus query

I am coming out to validate on my own in August so will be bringing the lap top with me. We haven't set up the wireless bit yet cos we are using it as the main puter plugged into the broadband.

What I haven't a clue about is, how I use it whilst there. Do I need to set anything up before I go, do I just go into a cyber cafe or mac donalds and start e-mailing etc - in other words - how the **** does it work?

I have skype downloaded. Do I need to plug the laptop into anything to get that to work How do I find areas where the wireless bit works?

Questions, questions, questions cos basically I haven't got a clue
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wireless laptop in Aus query

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I am coming out to validate on my own in August so will be bringing the lap top with me. We haven't set up the wireless bit yet cos we are using it as the main puter plugged into the broadband.

What I haven't a clue about is, how I use it whilst there. Do I need to set anything up before I go, do I just go into a cyber cafe or mac donalds and start e-mailing etc - in other words - how the **** does it work?

I have skype downloaded. Do I need to plug the laptop into anything to get that to work How do I find areas where the wireless bit works?

Well, I'll have a shot at this one before the nerds jump in.

I have a wireless network set up in in my house in Oz. But my laptop didn't have a wireless card in it already, so I had to buy one and stick it in and install the drivers.

Does your laptop have a wifi card already in it, and the drivers installed?

If so, just seek out the software for it on you pc, and check the settings when you get to Oz so it will seek for 'hotspots' like in cafes and mcdonalds and stuff, and it will let you know when you are in a wifi area. You NEED to be in an area that has wireless broadband, that would be certain cafes, hotels etc. If you are, and your laptop picks up that wireless network, then Skype will work the same as if you were connected physically to broadband.

JTL
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

I have a wireless network set up in in my house in Oz. But my laptop didn't have a wireless card in it already, so I had to buy one and stick it in and install the drivers.

If so, just seek out the software for it on you pc, and check the settings when you get to Oz so it will seek for 'hotspots' like in cafes and mcdonalds and stuff, and it will let you know when you are in a wifi area. You NEED to be in an area that has wireless broadband, that would be certain cafes, hotels etc. If you are, and your laptop picks up that wireless network, then Skype will work the same as if you were connected physically to broadband.

JTL
I always wondered about this, so at the moment I use AOL. When I use a wireless laptop in OZ which service will I be using and why do they provide this if they do not make money from it
Tara
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:13 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

are the plugs for phone the same in oz for phone line to go into the port at the back of laptop for modem.
The tiny socket i mean, not landline.... or come to think of it is that one there too or is there adaptors?
any info great cheers
alk
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

I always wondered about this, so at the moment I use AOL. When I use a wireless laptop in OZ which service will I be using and why do they provide this if they do not make money from it
Most companies use the Internet and some enlightened companies decide to use wireless, the even more enlightened ones realise that they aren't using it 100% of the time and choose to offer their Internet bandwidth free of charge to their paying customers (hotels, cafe's, pubs etc) Not all are free though some unscrupulous companies charge.

Free wireless access is mostly a by-product of the companies own need for Internet access.

if you do find yourself in a hotspot and you can't get surfing, it's probably because there is security set up to stop people leeching the bandwidth, just ask politely at the bar or counter and they'll set you right on what you need to do.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
Most companies use the Internet and some enlightened companies decide to use wireless, the even more enlightened ones realise that they aren't using it 100% of the time and choose to offer their Internet bandwidth free of charge to their paying customers (hotels, cafe's, pubs etc) Not all are free though some unscrupulous companies charge.

Free wireless access is mostly a by-product of the companies own need for Internet access.

if you do find yourself in a hotspot and you can't get surfing, it's probably because there is security set up to stop people leeching the bandwidth, just ask politely at the bar or counter and they'll set you right on what you need to do.
thank you
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I'm assuming you're going for a holiday and not moving permanently so setting up a new Internet Provider yet.

You can use wireless in some McDonalds and Starbucks. When we were in Sydney a month or two ago Starbucks wanted $22 (maybe more) per hour to surf, Internet cafes were a couple of bucks an hour (using their machines).

To use Starbucks wireless Network you log onto their wireless site, pay with credit card and it gives you access for the time you've paid for (no refunds for time not used and it has to be in a single chunk).

Alternatively you may find someone nearby has left their home wireless network unsecured so you can "borrow" it (some people leave some of their bandwidth open for people to use, others don't know how to secure their wireless connections).

Otherwise you will need to set up an Internet Provider account & broadband (like AOL, BT or Wanadoo in the UK) and buy a wireless modem/router which is only an option once you've got a more permanent place to live.

HTH
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

are the plugs for phone the same in oz for phone line to go into the port at the back of laptop for modem.
The tiny socket i mean, not landline.... or come to think of it is that one there too or is there adaptors?
any info great cheers
Yes the tiny socket (rj-11) is the same standard all over the world. The Australian landline is also rj-11. This is only a recent change however so you still get the old style Australian telephone sockets.

Not a problem though, there are adaptors available in any Australian electronics store (Tandy, Dick Smiths), you can pick them up at the airport too.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

I have skype downloaded. Do I need to plug the laptop into anything to get that to work
Once you've established an internet connection (be it wired OR wireless) you do not need to plug anything else into your laptop *apart* from a microphone and speakers (or a combined headset/usb phone type thingy - £20 off Ebay!) in order to use Skype

If you're happy for the world and his brother to be able to overhear your skype conversations, then you do not even have to bother with these - assuming that your lappy has an in-built microphone of course!

Hope that helps

Cheers

BD
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:27 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Think everyone has covered most of your questions, the main places to find WiFi Hotspots are Gloria Jean's Coffee, Starbucks and McDonalds. They are pay sites and costs will vary so check them out.

A useful little device is one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...531692-9492440 saves getting the PC out to see if there is a signal. Doesn't differentiate between secured/unsecured networks but is quite useful when travelling.

Optus Net have a lot of city hotspots, info here: http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site/...extfmt=default

list of hotspots here: https://rego.optusnet.com.au/wireless/locations.html

prices here: http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site/...006801540aRCRD

You can sign up at the hotspot, you don't need to be an existing customer. Just fire up the PC, activate the wireless hardware and once it's connected open Internet Browser and it will head for the provider's opening page automatically.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:16 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: wireless laptop in Aus query

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
If you machine does not have wireless card No worries. Your Machine should have a PCMCIA card... You get a wireless PCMCIA card here ranging from 50$ to 64$ (Melbourne rate).
Just plug in and go... Look out for hot-spots like Govt Libraries, MacD's and Starbucks (Best place to find hotspot is to look in www.whereis.com.au)

Note: If you purchase PCMICA card ensure you get both for b and g versions for those (b & g) type router...
Good Luck.
- Mukesh

Last edited by pandya_m; Jul 13th 2005 at 12:19 am.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I think I know what I'm doing now - that'll be a first Ain't technology great - when it works. Might invest in a web cam as well so the hub and sprogs can see me. Never been away from all of them for more than a day - will be wierd. Better go and start sorting flights etc out.