Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wireless Broadband or network

Wikiposts

Wireless Broadband or network

Old Nov 17th 2004, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about
Default Wireless Broadband or network

Does anybody out there know if I can use a wireless router in Australia?
For anybody with a mucky mind this is a device that means you can do away with all the cables connecting my PC to broadband modem (which by the way is ADSL), sorry to be such an anorak but I haven't bought the kit yet & won't bother if it isn't going to work in Oz.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 9:27 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wireless Broadband or network

Originally Posted by sallybee
Does anybody out there know if I can use a wireless router in Australia?
For anybody with a mucky mind this is a device that means you can do away with all the cables connecting my PC to broadband modem (which by the way is ADSL), sorry to be such an anorak but I haven't bought the kit yet & won't bother if it isn't going to work in Oz.
As far as I know they work to the same standards so yes. I think prices are similar anyway but make sure you shop around because the ISP's will flog you one at double the cost of, say an online shop.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wmoore
As far as I know they work to the same standards so yes. I think prices are similar anyway but make sure you shop around because the ISP's will flog you one at double the cost of, say an online shop.
yeah, you would think it is global technology, however I've heard that in the UK the modems are different between a BT (ADSL) and NTL (DSL), and as I don't know that much about it at the moment I don't know if this affects the router working in Oz or not - also, I have heard that UK telephones will not work - is this true?

Thanks for your help.

Marcus
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:17 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallybee
yeah, you would think it is global technology, however I've heard that in the UK the modems are different between a BT (ADSL) and NTL (DSL), and as I don't know that much about it at the moment I don't know if this affects the router working in Oz or not - also, I have heard that UK telephones will not work - is this true?

Thanks for your help.

Marcus
That's a fair point. The routers for BT and NTL are different but I think that's because NTL's network is closed to anyone else, where as BT's is an open standard. Telephones will work with an adapter but I read on here about some problem with cordless phones. Can't remember exactly now....
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

I too am interested in this. I am in IT and have fair knowledge of Wireless Networks.

In the UK at the moment if you have Cable Broadband - you need a cable modem / router - this has a connector which screws into the modem / router (kind of like a bnc connector but a scre thread)

ADSL on the other has a network style jack, but is much smaller than the normal UTP cable style connection(rj45).

The trouble is that some routers say thay are DSL routers but don't have the smaller network socket on it - instead they have a normal Rj45 which you cannot connect to the BT sized ADSL plug. I know because I have one of them.

True ADSL routers will have a number of Rj45 connections (if the router includes a hub) and a specific ADSL port which is a smaller version (kinda the same size as the jeck which attaches the telephone handset to the main telephone on good old BT standard issue phones)

So, my question to those who have ADSL routers working in OZ would be - does your router connection to the ADSL socket take and rj45 connection or a smaller connection (as in the UK)

Cheers
Dave
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:00 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless

So, my question to those who have ADSL routers working in OZ would be - does your router connection to the ADSL socket take and rj45 connection or a smaller connection (as in the UK)
I will try and remember to have a look when I go home. Pretty sure it is connected to the phone line with a standard RJ11 (the smaller one you are talking about).

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I will try and remember to have a look when I go home. Pretty sure it is connected to the phone line with a standard RJ11 (the smaller one you are talking about).

Cheers,

DagBoy
It would be useful to know - cheers. I hope you are right as like my netgear wireless adsl router - it very rarely gives me grief so I shall bring it with me if i know it will work

Dave
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

DagBoy
Yes it is.

Some phone sockets in Oz have a really odd, three pronged connection, and you need to buy an adaptor. Whats that the three prongs about?

Cheers,
JTL
Attached Thumbnails Wireless Broadband or network-picture-15.jpg   Wireless Broadband or network-picture-16.jpg  
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

DagBoy
Yep I have a convertor from the huge Aussie plug to rj45. With ADSL remember you still need the filter for each phone or a central splitter. Your ADSL router bought in britain should work here with a couple of settings changes. Wireless will work here as well. they are international standards. An ntlworld cable modem is useless here.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Just got in and read all the replies, what a great response. That's it, I'm off out this weekend to Micro Direct to get router and PC cards. I'm sick of this extention cable lying across the floor!

Marcus
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:37 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes it is.

Some phone sockets in Oz have a really odd, three pronged connection, and you need to buy an adaptor. Whats that the three prongs about?

Cheers,
JTL

3 prongs is so it can only go into the socket the correct way