Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Winter woolies - how much of this do you take???

Winter woolies - how much of this do you take???

Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Smile Winter woolies - how much of this do you take???

Given all the discussions re climate in different parts of Oz and now becoming aware that even in Queensland we snowbirds do acclimatise how much winter gear do you recommend hanging on to???

Thanks

Sue
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter woolies - how much of this do you take???

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Given all the discussions re climate in different parts of Oz and now becoming aware that even in Queensland we snowbirds do acclimatise how much winter gear do you recommend hanging on to???

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue,

Some info on this thread re clothing (Gold Coast area) - don't know if it will help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380220

Ann
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sue
All of it. After a couple of years, if you haven't used it, pass it on to a charity shop.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 3:46 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I never wrapped up that much in the UK, and I believed I would not need so much in AUS. Four years on here in Sydney I now use all my old stuff and have replaced scarves hats gloves etc. I wear them for a shorter period than I did but I still get the use.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:07 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Body warmer type garments are great here and they keep you warm without overloading you with clothing.

I use one of these, plus a fleece jumper under if it's really cold ... This morning at 7am walking the dog, gloves would have been good as it was v cold. A hat to keep the rain off is helpful. Get an Akubra or similar as they're better than a wooly hat imo.

My winter coat is on the ship and I imagine that by next year when I have acclimatised, I'll need it. For now, I'm a mad english person who doesn't feel the cold so much, but that will change. Plan ahead, and bring layers with you ...
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

sue, just like everything else, i say - bring it all! i actually left alot of heavy stuff behind, coats etc. and long for my old ones! but.... if you on a budget i must say the charity or op shops are brilliant! i even frequent our local tip shop! first year it did'nt seem too cold but now its our third and we really feel it. seems mad, we sit in bootee style slippers, track pants and jumpers and maybe a fleecy blanket too watching tv! never needed all that with british central heating, we do have reverse air conditioning but it is noisy.
at the mo we are over in england so we can see the games in the right hemisphere, having so much fun when aussie games are on, hope they reach the next round! we could have made a fortune selling the crazy clarks hats and stuff as no-one in birmingham can get the stuff! ah, hindsight is a wonderful thing!
karen
Attached Thumbnails Winter woolies - how much of this do you take???-socceroos-054.jpg  

Last edited by karenvirginia; Jun 21st 2006 at 7:07 am.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

bring it all we need them a the momment
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue,

In the UK, i didnt really feel the cold that much and hardly ever wore a coat so I can't understand why I have felt it so much here. As you will have read on the link to my post, there has been a few days lately when I have really felt cold through to the bone at work and even had difficulty typing. It hasnt been so bad the last couple of days and someone did mention that it has been about 9 degrees colder than average for the time of year?

My advice would be to bring at least one warm coat, one scarf, one pair of gloves and even a hat if you wear them (I didnt bring any of these). At least if you do experience the odd cold day then you have something to hand. Hopefully you wont need to wear them that much. At home we had reverse cycle air conditioning installed, but the house is quite cosy and we have only put the heating on 2 or 3 times for about 20 minutes just to get the chill of the air. I have also bought fleecy jamas for sitting around but still find it too warm to wear these for bed.

... and one last thing, if you have boots bring these as well

Julia
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Bring it all

Also bring your dooner or buy new ones in the UK, They are pants here IMO and expensive
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi Sue,

My advice would be to bring at least one warm coat, one scarf, one pair of gloves and even a hat if you wear them (I didnt bring any of these).
Julia
I'd use the layer principal and bring 2 fleeces. Maybe a light one and a medium one. Personally would only use a scarf at the footie - never gloves.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:50 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sue
hi sue

i'm on the 'sunshine' coast and its pi**ing down and feels freezing to me - do you think i can get my money back? (was actually about 19c today). i think i've become a weather wuss and i wore my coat for only the second time today and we've been here just over a year! definitely bring a couple coats, hats, scarves etc cos you'll need it at some point - not for long but long enough not to freeze you nads off
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:56 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
I have also bought fleecy jamas for sitting around but still find it too warm to wear these for bed. Julia
Hey I'm in my fleecy jim jams every night now....it's far too cold not to!!! Plus if its really cold I'll have my socks on too!!!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed at my sisters house in Sydney last September and at night I was freezing, I have not been so cold for years! I could not get out of bed in the mornings! By ten/eleven o'clock in the morning it was ok and the sun was up but I was really surprised at how cold I felt, the houses are just not geared up for any winter. It is a Pole House with virtually completely glazed all around, totally summer living, nice in the summer though.
I had to go out and buy fleeces to keep us going especially as we went down to Melbourne for a week and what do you know the weather there was brilliant.