Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Winter Weather In Perth

Winter Weather In Perth

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Winter Weather In Perth

For those of you in Perth how would you describe the winter weather in Perth.

Is it as cold and wet as some of the statistics show?

Don't mind it cold during the night but were hoping for fairly reasonable temperatures during the day '20c'

Don't want to go there with the illusion that it is warm all year round, if in reality the winters are no different from the uk
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Winter Weather In Perth

Originally posted by jwinch

Don't mind it cold during the night but were hoping for fairly reasonable temperatures during the day '20c'

Don't want to go there with the illusion that it is warm all year round, if in reality the winters are no different from the uk

It's MUCH warmer than the UK, fairly rainy, but nothing like the UK. IMO summer heat for say 30 days a year is the worst part of the weather!

Good luck

David
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Weather In Perth

Originally posted by jwinch

In my experience it can be 20 but can also be 10 or 15.
It also depends where in Perth you are.
And remember you get used to the warmth, so 18 degrees is cold!!

Then now the facts:

mean maximum temp July 15-18:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...ual_rnfall.cgi

mean maximum temp July and August 18-21:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...ual_rnfall.cgi

oh, found one that covers it all:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_009034.shtml
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:08 pm
owieb

I'd agree with Simone, on paper 18C sounds lovely, but it's really cold once you get used to the heat. I was going to work wearing a coat when it was 20C outside! And you'll see many people with woolie hats and gloves on.

Night is cold too. Most houses don't have any form of central heating. Some have ducted reverse cycle aircon which helps, but otherwise most will have gas fires.

I think the last winter was a really long one, it seemed to start the end of May and it didn't really get warm again till mid-november.

It's a lot better than an english winter and you can expect some beautiful warm sunny days, but once you climatise it will feel cold.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree with the others about getting used to the heat. We've not been here long at all but thought a couple of days last week were relatively cool (it was "only" 23 degrees ). Our first winter will certainly be interesting

Claire
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:53 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

you'll find that most people love the Spring and Winter in Perth. It's very rainy, when they say 'showers' what they really mean is about 2inchs of water falling in a few seconds!!!! We had to drain our pool no end of times during the winter.

It's when everything grows, the grass the plants and the weeds. After the dry sumer the plants love it!!

The houses are cold, we sat under duvets every night if we watched tv!!! With a small blow heater like somthing from the 70's. Hadn't got a gas fire but they can be costly for a good one. Still doesn't warm every room though.

I'am afraid to say I went to bed in tracksuit bottoms, socks and jumpers!!!! Hubbys isn't quite as nesh as me but still felt the cold. It gets down to about 1-2c overnight so you can imagine what its like after searing heat of 35+c in the summer with mild nights.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

The rain doesn't bother me too much (good for the gardens). It's the cold - Getting up at 6am to 2 degrees is not fun. We have a wood burner which only gets lit in the evening (and its now broken ), have invested in a little fan heater from garage sale for $3 to blast us in the mornings. In the evenings we shall no doubt all be under the doonas in the living room.

The daytime temps are fine but we are at work all day anyway so can't take advantage of them in the week
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

First winter here last year wasn't too bad. A few mornings when it felt really cold but it was nothing compared to a British winter. Not looking forward to this winter now we're more acclimatised! No double glazing here, no central heating etc.

So, not gonna think about it yet, we've just hit 40 degrees here in Perth so we're at the other extreme & too hot!

Loopy
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Think its right we have acclimatized and i felt the cold over winter we had a low of 1 degree one night , my ears were frooze , we have 2 electric heaters , which kids have one between rooms , ours goes from front room to bedroom when we go to bed. But the windows are terrible they let all the cold in and drafts , we go to bed ( well i do in pjs , jumpers , sock the works but i did at home to in the uk so no change there ) but then you get sunny winter days and your in tshirts again , then a fleece at night very weired. Today its bloody hot a humid 37 so they say , it feels hotter . Roll on autumn and spring
Joanne
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Hi Jo, it hit 40 about 10 minutes ago, hopefully it's peaked as I'm off to work soon & I'll be outside for a couple of hours this afternoon. YUK!

On advice from so called friends we ditched most of our warm winter clothes before we came! Didn't wear a coat at all last year, most I needed was a fleece. got a feeling it'll be a different story this year!

So remember folks bring your warm stuff too!

Loopy - off to bake
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought it felt hotter than the predicted 37 degrees. Thank God for air con Its a bit like walking into an oven going outside though. Just been to check my post (still haven't worked out what time it gets delivered )

Claire
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 4:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
Hi Jo, it hit 40 about 10 minutes ago, hopefully it's peaked as I'm off to work soon & I'll be outside for a couple of hours this afternoon. YUK!

On advice from so called friends we ditched most of our warm winter clothes before we came! Didn't wear a coat at all last year, most I needed was a fleece. got a feeling it'll be a different story this year!

So remember folks bring your warm stuff too!

Loopy - off to bake

I've just come back form circuit training, which involves a few laps around the garden.

I overheard some people I ran past questioning my sanity to each other.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We had heaps of 35+ days in Dec and jan . Anyway today its 21 degrees and raining, rain is quite common here in summer but 21 is not. Everyone is saying how lovely it is! No complaining just what a relief it is not to be hot. Came downstaris this morning to find husband had lit a heap of small logs in the fireplace, sitting there drinking coffee by the fire I mean 21 you have to laugh.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 6:02 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
We had heaps of 35+ days in Dec and jan . Anyway today its 21 degrees and raining, rain is quite common here in summer but 21 is not. Everyone is saying how lovely it is! No complaining just what a relief it is not to be hot. Came downstaris this morning to find husband had lit a heap of small logs in the fireplace, sitting there drinking coffee by the fire I mean 21 you have to laugh.
Its been amzing that its been this cool. Hope the rain clears up by the weekend though.

Apparently my kids teachers asked why they hadnt brought a jumper to school - as if
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

3.33pm and radio says its still 40 degrees , i had to give in and go and have a swim in the swim , ohhhhhh it was nice. We havent got aircon sadly , so we suffer , fight for the fans , loopy hope you had a good afternoon , and they all behaved for you.
Joanne