Reload this Page >

Winter in Melbourne!!!

Winter in Melbourne!!!

Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Dave - Jo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Winter in Melbourne!!!

Hi
We have been speaking to our friends about moving to Melbourne and a couple of them say it does snow there!! My oh is a little worried about this and would like to know if winters are this cold over there cheers
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winter in Melbourne!!!

Hi,

Victoria has an "Alpine region" with ski resorts and some good skiing during the winter.

We have experienced some good frosts when visiting our family there, but generaly during the winter it keeps in double figures during the day.

They say that Melbourne can have 4 seasons in one day.

Someone who lives there full time will give you a better average but I dont think ive heard our family talk about snow in Melbourne. But you never know.

Cheers,

Rob, Helen & Caitlain.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave - Jo
Hi
We have been speaking to our friends about moving to Melbourne and a couple of them say it does snow there!! My oh is a little worried about this and would like to know if winters are this cold over there cheers
Is usually fine as long as the sun is up. Gets very cold after 4pm once the sun is gone! Yes can snow and do get frost, but would be very boring only having one season, variety is the spice of life
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice

The OH is from Melbourne and reckons he only remembers a light dusting in his suburb once when he was a little kid, apart from that it only snows in the mountains.
It does get chilly but not full-on freeeeeeezing like over here. The dark winter nights don't start at 4pm either
Apparently, it even stops raining there sometimes. Imagine that!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

We lived in Melbourne before we moved 'up the road' to Brisbane. We were there through one winter and we were freezing! The problem we found was that the houses are not built for the cold (unlike the UK), so depite having the reverse cycle aircon on constantly the the heat just went straight out the roof due to lack of adequate insulation......and it cost us a fortune! I would hope that newer houses are built with more insulation but I couldn't comment on that. The weather just really wasn't for us I'm afraid. Up hee in Brisbane you do get season's - it's winter now just like everywhere else in Australia and it's beautiful. Had the wood burning stove on a couple of weeks ago and we were all rugged up - it was fantastic!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:06 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

As I write this, it is 3 degrees outside (7am)

Admittedly its up in the yarra ranges, and the temperature does warm up during the day to about 15-16 degrees, especially if the sun comes out.

The houses are built for summer temperatures, so they can get a bit chilly, but throw on a fleece or stoke up the fire, and its lovely.

Vic ts definitely the coldest state, and here in the ranges they had a little snow here 2 weeks ago, but it was gone in a few hours, but thats only 40km from the CBD.

My wife hates the cold, but its only really the mornings that she needs to get used to, otherwise its not bad at all.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:10 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave - Jo
Hi

Some outer suburbs around Melbourne are quite high and can experience a little snow....they have this year. But it is unusual for most of Melbourne to get a daytime high of less than 10C, and the nearer the bay the higher the temps, generally. It's also unusual, except in the outlying hills, for the temp to reach 0C even at night.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I like winter in Melbourne. It's marvellous.

Buzzy
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Some outer suburbs around Melbourne are quite high and can experience a little snow....they have this year. But it is unusual for most of Melbourne to get a daytime high of less than 10C, and the nearer the bay the higher the temps, generally. It's also unusual, except in the outlying hills, for the temp to reach 0C even at night.
Seconded, I can only recall snow ever settling once, in my time here in Melbournes Northern Subs, since 1980, only stayed on the ground for about 2 - 3 hours.

I'd say at most we are only 4-5 degrees cooler in the winter than the Gold Coast.
Where my cousin works towards Advancetown, on the Qland hinterland it can even be colder than Melbourne. We also get much hotter temps in Jan/Feb than that border region.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Having lived on the Gold Coast for over 10 years, we certainly feel the difference in weather temps when we visit Melbourne, where we lived for 8 years. I would say it is a lot more than 4-5 degrees cooler in Melbourne in winter. A lot of Victorians visit Qld in the winter to get away from the cold. A large percentage of older homes on the Gold Coast dont have any form of heating fitted, I found that most did in Melbourne.

Stanthorpe would have to be one of the coldest parts of Queensland, with temps probably matching those of Melbourne. Advancetown is only 5 minutes from Nerang which is practically central Gold Coast these days, not really as cold or colder than Melbourne in winter. The temps do go a lot lower in the Hinterland though, thats for sure.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Well I am currently experiencing my first Melbourne winter and I am freezing
But people I have spoken to have said it has been an unusually cold winter this year.
The day times have been quite pleasant for the last week or so, but the mornings and the evenings are bloody cold. And a couple of weeks ago it stuck on about 8 degrees all day.
I've been colder here than I was in the UK, but, as has been said, that's because the houses are not build for cold weather (god knows why, given that it's pretty cold for at least half the year - look, even this smilie has turned blue!)
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
(god knows why, given that it's pretty cold for at least half the year - look, even this smilie has turned blue!)
If it was pretty cold for half the year, I'd be heading to Queensland
It really is generally June-August that are chilly and daytime temps are usually between 12-15 degrees (with colder and warmer exceptions).

Last winter was mild (mainly 14-16 degrees) and very dry, but the cool temps started earlier (as soon as it hit 1 April the temps dropped).

You're right that the houses don't keep the heat! And I didn't realise how cold it got a night (I only researched the daytime temps!). Still, we have a good floor ducted heating system now - not sure how much the gas bill will be, but I don't have it on at night (I like to breathe in cold air, as long as the rest of me is warm) and it only take 15 mins to warm up once the heating is on.

What makes the winters easy for me is having wonderful views and surroundings whatever the weather!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the pursers
The OH is from Melbourne and reckons he only remembers a light dusting in his suburb once when he was a little kid, apart from that it only snows in the mountains.
It does get chilly but not full-on freeeeeeezing like over here. The dark winter nights don't start at 4pm either
Apparently, it even stops raining there sometimes. Imagine that!!
Snowed in Melbourne last year! I take it you weren't out there then?
Sun set is a few minutes past 5pm, and sun is well on it's way down at 4 and temperature drops rapidly once it's setting and yes it does get down to freezing point. (was told prior to spending a winter in Melbourne how all the Aussies were soft and hated the cold and that would be fine, found out the hard way it was cold and wet)
Oh and yes it frequently doesn't rain but the sun is always set before 9pm, pays to be a morning person once out in Melbourne!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Snowed in Melbourne last year! I take it you weren't out there then?
Sun set is a few minutes past 5pm, and sun is well on it's way down at 4 and temperature drops rapidly once it's setting and yes it does get down to freezing point. (was told prior to spending a winter in Melbourne how all the Aussies were soft and hated the cold and that would be fine, found out the hard way it was cold and wet)
Oh and yes it frequently doesn't rain but the sun is always set before 9pm, pays to be a morning person once out in Melbourne!
Where did it snow last year? I can't remember seeing or reading about it?
It did snow up in Olinda a couple of weeks ago - and that was great!!

It rarely gets down to freezing point - and only one light, but beautiful frost here (bear in mind I'm on the edge of the Dandenongs).

The sun sets currently at 17:30, but it doesn't actually get dark until closer to 18:00. We are lucky that it stays light until 21:00 in the summer - lot longer than many Australian regions.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auspal
Having lived on the Gold Coast for over 10 years, we certainly feel the difference in weather temps when we visit Melbourne, where we lived for 8 years. I would say it is a lot more than 4-5 degrees cooler in Melbourne in winter. A lot of Victorians visit Qld in the winter to get away from the cold. A large percentage of older homes on the Gold Coast dont have any form of heating fitted, I found that most did in Melbourne.

Stanthorpe would have to be one of the coldest parts of Queensland, with temps probably matching those of Melbourne. Advancetown is only 5 minutes from Nerang which is practically central Gold Coast these days, not really as cold or colder than Melbourne in winter. The temps do go a lot lower in the Hinterland though, thats for sure.
Ah I'm slightly confused with my Geographical locations up there, Numinbah, further into the hinterland, was the place I was referring to, which I figured wrongly I guess, was more or less Nerang. Toowombah 20C was only 4 degrees warmer than Melbourne today 16C, Coolangatta was 23C, so thats 7 degrees warmer, which is probably nearer the average difference for this time of year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.