Wine whine.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:28 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wine whine.

Hi, I like a drink, wine, beer, vodka, not massive a mount but a glass or two every now and again is good. I was recently in Melbourne and sampled some very tasty red wines. I recognised one or two of the vineyards as those available in the UK so I made a note of the wine (boring git I know). Upon returning home I managed to buy a couple of the wines from a supermarket, When I tried themthey tasted no better than the £3.49 supermarket own brands I usually buy.

Is it that the wines don't travel, or do Ozzies just pour the dregs into the bottles and ship them off to the UK. The vintage on at least one of the bottles was the same so it can't be that.

The red wines went especially well with the thai red curry (with coconut) at the Thai restaurant on Toorak Road in South Yarra - some of the best non bacon foods that I have tasted. When that visa eventually come through that's where me and Mrs Bacon will be having our first celevratory night out!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:36 pm
blossom

Default Re: Wine whine.

Originally Posted by baconmaster
Hi, I like a drink, wine, beer, vodka, not massive a mount but a glass or two every now and again is good. I was recently in Melbourne and sampled some very tasty red wines. I recognised one or two of the vineyards as those available in the UK so I made a note of the wine (boring git I know). Upon returning home I managed to buy a couple of the wines from a supermarket, When I tried themthey tasted no better than the £3.49 supermarket own brands I usually buy.

Is it that the wines don't travel, or do Ozzies just pour the dregs into the bottles and ship them off to the UK. The vintage on at least one of the bottles was the same so it can't be that.

The red wines went especially well with the thai red curry (with coconut) at the Thai restaurant on Toorak Road in South Yarra - some of the best non bacon foods that I have tasted. When that visa eventually come through that's where me and Mrs Bacon will be having our first celevratory night out!

I used to enjoy a good red back in Oz, but must admit since being back in the UK have hardly touched a drop. For me I think it must be the temperature - to cold here for a red - even with the central heating on full blast the wine never rises to the occasion.

Definitely can't wait to get back and have another go at the red vino.

Blossom

Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:41 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by blossom
I used to enjoy a good red back in Oz, but must admit since being back in the UK have hardly touched a drop. For me I think it must be the temperature - to cold here for a red - even with the central heating on full blast the wine never rises to the occasion.

Definitely can't wait to get back and have another go at the red vino.

Blossom

rubbish isn't it, when alcohol is the only way to get through another cold damp winter as the wind whips across the north sea, even the booze lets you down.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Was it the same grape variety and region? Some producers will offer a variety of grapes, a variety of regions, all in the same year - but these can vary drastically in quality
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:10 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

The boom in Aussie wines in the UK recently has been attributed to us getting fed up with the French shipping us their cast offs. I don't know if that is true or if the Aussies are doing the same thing.

Another possible explanation is that your state of mind / ambience was better when you were glugging it in Australia.

I find the preparation is vital to enjoying a red to its best. Ideally open it 24 hours before you intend to drink it (preferably decant it) and put it somewhere warm like near a radiator or cooker but not too hot.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:16 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

maybe the wine was heat damaged from being shipped over? I find wines here don't keep very well, especially if they come from a heated supermarket/off licence, the temerpature seems to stuff up the wine...
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by worzel
Another possible explanation is that your state of mind / ambience was better when you were glugging it in Australia.
I reckon this comment may have a lot to do with it. I buy my wine by the case (12), and the bottles can taste very different, depending on the circumstances when I am drinking it.

It always tastes better in good company with good food

Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:59 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Did you recognise the vineyard or the brand? I noticed that in the UK a lot of Oz wine was labelled as being from "Southeast Australia" which could mean anything.

It isn't a region, just a geographical description. So grapes from the worst areas in Southeast Australia can be bought by a top vineyard in a completely different region, but still in the SE, & the resultant wine is still true to label(in the UK)

Its a con, but it happens in Australia too. Wineries often use grapes from inferior contract growers to mix in with their own premium grapes
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:04 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found a lovely Ozzie Red - Woolpunda, it was on special offer at Morrisons a few weeks ago £3.99 a bottle.

Lovely!