Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wine tours in swan valley,perth??

wine tours in swan valley,perth??

Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default wine tours in swan valley,perth??

Hi guys i am staying at the swan valley,the vines at the moment in western australia near perth as we are up here been thinking of doing some wine tasting,are these places free to go to and taste or is there fees to go to them?
i see there are tours that you can go on that offer to take you around these places and more and can pick you up from your resort,i see that they leave and the tour starts from perth,i take that these people would pay the tour price as they are paying really for the bus there and back.
i am just wondering if its worth paying what they ask for the tour as i am already in the swan valley and what i would need to pay for if i went it withou the tours.
the only thing about not taking the tour is that i would need to drive and then would not enjoy the wine tasting as much as would need to drive.
i just wondered if many have paid for the tour cause they wanted to enjoy the tasting or if say i did go with my car then it be free to go to these
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wine tours in swan valley,perth??

Originally Posted by brian.w
Hi guys i am staying at the swan valley,the vines at the moment in western australia near perth as we are up here been thinking of doing some wine tasting,are these places free to go to and taste or is there fees to go to them?
i see there are tours that you can go on that offer to take you around these places and more and can pick you up from your resort,i see that they leave and the tour starts from perth,i take that these people would pay the tour price as they are paying really for the bus there and back.
i am just wondering if its worth paying what they ask for the tour as i am already in the swan valley and what i would need to pay for if i went it withou the tours.
the only thing about not taking the tour is that i would need to drive and then would not enjoy the wine tasting as much as would need to drive.
i just wondered if many have paid for the tour cause they wanted to enjoy the tasting or if say i did go with my car then it be free to go to these
All the vineyards that I have been to have been free. We went for lunch at Sandalford last week - give it a go, it's a very pleasant place.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Edgecombe brothers charge and I think it is $4 per person but they do have some lovely wines.

I'v never paid anywhere else though.

Can the resort not suggest a tour for you?

I don't particularly like the mass produced tours as I feel you are going to places they want (and get paid from) rather than what you'd prefer but if it is your only way then give it ago. Usually the tours include lunch somewhere.

Phone a few places and see how much a limo or a driver for the day would be - it would be more personal to you and you could come and go from places as you choose. I've no idea on costs though.

Come back if you have any further questions though.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Edgecombe brothers charge and I think it is $4 per person but they do have some lovely wines.

I'v never paid anywhere else though.

Can the resort not suggest a tour for you?

I don't particularly like the mass produced tours as I feel you are going to places they want (and get paid from) rather than what you'd prefer but if it is your only way then give it ago. Usually the tours include lunch somewhere.

Phone a few places and see how much a limo or a driver for the day would be - it would be more personal to you and you could come and go from places as you choose. I've no idea on costs though.

Come back if you have any further questions though.
limo does sound good but kind on a budget as been paid off my work just before i came over on my months holidays,but i might ask the resort about if they have anything on offer as to the tours etc,i just needed to know if these was free so what are the tours charging for then the bus trip really?
As i said in my post be good to go around them myself but means i cant do much wine tasting which i see no point in doing if i have to drive.
These tours i see are started and come from perth,but i am already living for a week in this area.

Anyone got must do's when in this area or what is recommended to go to or see when up here,i have some booklets on things but there might be something i missed
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

These are my recommendations but they are what I like!

Jane Brook (fab sparking Shiraz)
Sandalfords
Houghtons
Twin Hills (especially their port)
Lamonts (especially their sparkling)
Edgecombe including their $4 charge.
Black Swan (excellent for lunch)
Feral Brewery (but not on the weekend)

Out of those I've only ever been charged at Edgecombe. You are right though you need transport if you want to enjoy it. Its a pain when someone has to drive.

I'll get to the car and get the map out for the wineries and see if anyone does something transport wise that may be more suited to you. Will be back.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

The following do customised charters:

Aristocats 9399 6660
Billabong 9274 6569
Black Jack Limo 0413 570 775
Blue Zoo charters 0431 205 919
London Cabs 9409 9975
Swan Gold tours 1300 663 916
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kingseat
The following do customised charters:

Aristocats 9399 6660
Billabong 9274 6569
Black Jack Limo 0413 570 775
Blue Zoo charters 0431 205 919
London Cabs 9409 9975
Swan Gold tours 1300 663 916
i wonder if you had there prices?and do they know where they are all at,are they local to this area,if i dont do the wine tasting or the tours anything else that you recommend should be done up here or have a look at,thats free or for small charge or hey even if you have to pay why not.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:36 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

But if you want to experience the " soul place " of Australian wine jump on a plane an fly to Adelaide , and try the Barossa , or Mclarenvale , or the Clare valley or the coonawarra , or the Limestone coast , Adelaide hills .........wine in its perfection .. not wine in its infancy............mm
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
All the vineyards that I have been to have been free. We went for lunch at Sandalford last week - give it a go, it's a very pleasant place.
We went there last night for carols in the valley.Great night.Will try lunch there next time.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Not been to any of them yet,maybe drive the girlfriend around a few places and just have a few samples myself,i take it they are just that small samples?
Not that i am into drink and driving or do that sort of thing,but what is the legal limit or how much could i take or have before i should stop as be nice to just sample a few places and say i was at some of them.
As i mentioned before i am at the vines resort and thought i give the tours a miss why pay for them when i am here already and just a small drive away from them.
If some again could list the ones near me i could give them a go on thursday,i take they still be open then as it be xmas eve?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

Sorry just seen this thread, hope I'm not too late for you. Try these guys - I'm pretty sure they're based somewhere near Edgecombe Brothers which is close to the Vines. A wagon ride tour would be ideal for the two of you I'd have thought.
http://www.swanvalleywa.com/index01.html

Have a great day (I'm incredibly jealous cos I'm working today and stuck in the city)

Jackie