Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Windsurfing on the Swan River in Perth

Windsurfing on the Swan River in Perth

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Windsurfing on the Swan River in Perth

Can't wait to get out there this year but can someone tell me where I can teach my little nipper to windsurf safely on the Swan River.
Can you launch anywhere that is non private or are there designated banks to launch from.
Any windsurfing clubs and/or members out there.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:30 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windsurfing on the Swan River in Perth

Originally Posted by Paul & June
Can't wait to get out there this year but can someone tell me where I can teach my little nipper to windsurf safely on the Swan River.
Can you launch anywhere that is non private or are there designated banks to launch from.
Guilderton is a good spot. About 30 minutes from the northern suburbs.

I think you can go anywhere on the river but you might want to avoid the waterski / PWC areas
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Matilda Bay on the Rover (off Nedlands/Dalkeith) - saw some windsurfers there the other afternoon.

Galba
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

This is great, keep them coming in.

Worzel, loved your thread '2 years in Perth'.
'Mooring up outside Ciccerellos'.
I too want to get myself a boat once I'v settled and got confident on the work front etc.

Where is Amuzulu, is he on holiday ? Need to pick his brains on being a mechanical cad monkey over there.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

This is great, keep them coming in.

Worzel, loved your thread '2 years in Perth'.
'Mooring up outside Ciccerellos'.
I too want to get myself a boat once I'v settled and got confident on the work front etc.

Where is Amuzulu, is he on holiday ? Need to pick his brains on being a mechanical cad monkey over there.
Cheers, passed 2.5 years this week and submitted the citizenship application.

Yes I think the Zulu went on a big trip somewhere.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:53 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
Matilda Bay on the Rover (off Nedlands/Dalkeith) - saw some windsurfers there the other afternoon.

Galba

Yeah Pelican point is a very popular spot with shallow sand for the first bit they do lots of training there.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Hi
you can pretty much windsurf from anywhere you want to. But the best spots on the Swan are Lucky Bay (South bank of the river good in a SW, W and NW) shallow a long way out with a sand bar about 200 metres fom shore where you can jump off and turn around if you haven't mastered turning yet. Also a mostly very friendly crowd.

Also 2nd wind do lessons here in the summer.

The other is pelican point (north bank of the River) not been here so much but still shallow a long way out, not so keen on it here as the kitesufers are very close to the windsurfers and there is also a boat ramp. But in the summer Windforce hire out newish beginners gear reasonably cheaply.

No idea about clubs.

Hope that helps

Also go to google maps austrlia and type in

dunkley avenue 6153 (for Lucky Bay corner of Dunkley Avenue and Cunningham)

jh abrahams reserve perth ( for Pelican point slightly tothe west of the reserve where you can see the car park)

Last edited by leftfield; Apr 23rd 2008 at 6:38 am.