Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

window fitters ?

window fitters ?

Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Now where did you come up with that idea?
Ooh - I don't know. Close inspection of my own house as my ongoing and overdue reno continues? Assembled by drunk monkeys in the dark I suspect.

I spent a few months working with a mate of a mate painting houses when I first came out. McMansions mostly - the construction standards would make you weep.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:55 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phlanger
Ooh - I don't know. Close inspection of my own house as my ongoing and overdue reno continues? Assembled by drunk monkeys in the dark I suspect.

I spent a few months working with a mate of a mate painting houses when I first came out. McMansions mostly - the construction standards would make you weep.
Pay peanuts and you get monkeys!what does a drunk monkey cost?

Are you a painter?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Pay peanuts and you get monkeys!what does a drunk monkey cost?

Are you a painter?

Boom tish - very good.

Me? A painter? no, I'm a feckless academic - which I think rather proves my point..
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:16 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phlanger
Boom tish - very good.

Me? A painter? no, I'm a feckless academic - which I think rather proves my point..
There's your answer then,you may have a few feckless academics working on your reno instead of qualified tradesmen.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

A good point well made - although I think my rambling old shack was built in the days when a greater degree of fecklessness was tolerated in academics. Loafing even.

I think it may have been built by chaps who at least claimed some body of skill or qualification - even if it was only knowing which ear to stick thei pencil behind.

But still, back to the original point - I'm merely an overeducated working class boy from a large family of tradesmen and I do know where the pointy end of the nail is supposed to go.(don't tempt me) and I've been quite surprised at the lo-tec construction techniques in both older and newer houses I've seen.

Different suitability for different climates I suppose, but a lot of plumbing, wiring and - indeed - glazing that I've seen seems a little *ahem* rustic.

Or maybe that's just what I get for living in the hills.

Last edited by Phlanger; Jan 20th 2011 at 11:59 am. Reason: Obsessive behaviour