Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

window fitters ?

window fitters ?

Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:17 pm
  #1  
markj
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 460
painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice
Default window fitters ?

Do they have them like in the uk.
I know it wont be so much plastic but alloy/steel.
Would it be classed as a trade/skill set as it is in the uk.
Any help most appreciated
painter man is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:36 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Paula31's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside
Posts: 115
Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: window fitters ?

Hi

Yes, there are Upvc window firms in Australia. Albeit, nowhere near as many as UK, and aluminium is still used the most, but they are out there.

As far as I know it is not recognised as a trade in itself (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The nearest trade it would fit into is either joiner or glazier but the criteria needed to fulfil this description is not really applicable to a window fitter. There will be some aspects of window fitting that would be covered but not enough to be classed as experienced in these trades.

Hope this helps
Paula31 is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:31 pm
  #3  
markj
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 460
painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice
Default Re: window fitters ?

Thanks Paula31 was just wondering if our son would be able to get work in oz
as he fits upvc windows in blighty.
painter man is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:27 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 89
Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future
Default Re: window fitters ?

He's probably wildly overskilled.

You'll still see new build houses in Victoria with single glazed putty 'n' astragal type window construction. So like Paula says, Glazier is probably the recognised trade.
Phlanger is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:17 am
  #5  
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,838
ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by painter man View Post
Thanks Paula31 was just wondering if our son would be able to get work in oz
as he fits upvc windows in blighty.
Agree with Paula31.
There are plenty of window fitting companies in Melbourne.
Very few PVC but a window's a window so makes no odds.
ukecadet is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:18 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,838
ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by Phlanger View Post
He's probably wildly overskilled.

You'll still see new build houses in Victoria with single glazed putty 'n' astragal type window construction. So like Paula says, Glazier is probably the recognised trade.
Now where did you come up with that idea?
ukecadet is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:31 am
  #7  
Victorian Evangelist
 
Buzzy--Bee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, by the beach, living the dream.
Posts: 7,704
Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by painter man View Post
Thanks Paula31 was just wondering if our son would be able to get work in oz
as he fits upvc windows in blighty.
There's a few uPVC window companies in Melbourne -

- Certainteed
- Art Windows
- PVC Windows Australia
- Everglaze

I recommend you ring Ross Wilson at Certainteed - he's a very personable chap and would be able to advise you whether your sons skills would be of use.

BB
Buzzy--Bee is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:52 am
  #8  
markj
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 460
painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice
Default Re: window fitters ?

Thanks folks
painter man is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:22 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Red_V_Roger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Peregian Springs, Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,872
Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: window fitters ?

Window fitting/glazing always was the plumber's trade.
Red_V_Roger is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:44 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Paula31's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside
Posts: 115
Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by painter man View Post
Thanks Paula31 was just wondering if our son would be able to get work in oz
as he fits upvc windows in blighty.
Has he already got a visa? If he has it might be easier for him to find work. If not he'll have to look into what category his trade would fit into for a skills assessment.

OH is in same position, Upvc window fitter including conservatories, porches etc, years of experience but could not find what Upvc window fitter fits into. Hence he is now completing his third year at college for joinery.

ANZSCO

Occupation:
333111 Glazier

GLAZIERS measure, cut, finish, fit and install flat glass and mirrors.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In Australia:

AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Tasks Include:
  • determining type and dimensions of glass required
  • laying glass over patterns on padded tables and in jigs
  • measuring and marking glass for cutting
  • examining glass and marking defective areas
  • cutting along patterns and templates
  • breaking off sheets and excess glass with notched tools and glass pliers
  • installing glass and mirrors in windows, skylights, display cases, interior walls and ceilings
  • smoothing rough edges using belt sanders and smoothing wheels
  • may coat, cut, etch, trim and treat glass to achieve special effects

331213 JOINER

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.

Tasks Include:
  • studying drawings and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
  • ordering and selecting timbers and materials, and preparing layouts
  • cutting materials, and assembling and nailing cut and shaped parts
  • erecting framework and roof framing, laying sub-flooring and floorboards and verifying trueness of structures
  • nailing fascia panels, sheathing roofs, and fitting exterior wall cladding and door and window frames
  • assembling prepared wood to form structures and fittings ready to install
  • cutting wood joints
  • may construct concrete formwork
  • may repair existing fittings
  • may work with plastic laminates, perspex and metals

As you can see window fitter is a trade in limbo and does not really fit anywhere. It would be interesting to hear of anyone who has got into Australia as a Upvc window fitter.

Good luck
Paula31 is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:23 am
  #11  
Melbourne - NE suburbs
 
DownUnderPaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,032
DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
There's a few uPVC window companies in Melbourne -

- Certainteed
- Art Windows
- PVC Windows Australia
- Everglaze

I recommend you ring Ross Wilson at Certainteed - he's a very personable chap and would be able to advise you whether your sons skills would be of use.

BB
Have another one to add to that list http://www.greenhaus.com.au/
They were awesome !
DownUnderPaddy is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:11 pm
  #12  
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,838
ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger View Post
Window fitting/glazing always was the plumber's trade.
What country are you talking about?
ukecadet is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:52 pm
  #13  
markj
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 460
painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by Paula31 View Post
Has he already got a visa? If he has it might be easier for him to find work. If not he'll have to look into what category his trade would fit into for a skills assessment.

OH is in same position, Upvc window fitter including conservatories, porches etc, years of experience but could not find what Upvc window fitter fits into. Hence he is now completing his third year at college for joinery.

ANZSCO

Occupation:
333111 Glazier

GLAZIERS measure, cut, finish, fit and install flat glass and mirrors.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In Australia:

AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Tasks Include:
  • determining type and dimensions of glass required
  • laying glass over patterns on padded tables and in jigs
  • measuring and marking glass for cutting
  • examining glass and marking defective areas
  • cutting along patterns and templates
  • breaking off sheets and excess glass with notched tools and glass pliers
  • installing glass and mirrors in windows, skylights, display cases, interior walls and ceilings
  • smoothing rough edges using belt sanders and smoothing wheels
  • may coat, cut, etch, trim and treat glass to achieve special effects

331213 JOINER

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.

Tasks Include:
  • studying drawings and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
  • ordering and selecting timbers and materials, and preparing layouts
  • cutting materials, and assembling and nailing cut and shaped parts
  • erecting framework and roof framing, laying sub-flooring and floorboards and verifying trueness of structures
  • nailing fascia panels, sheathing roofs, and fitting exterior wall cladding and door and window frames
  • assembling prepared wood to form structures and fittings ready to install
  • cutting wood joints
  • may construct concrete formwork
  • may repair existing fittings
  • may work with plastic laminates, perspex and metals

As you can see window fitter is a trade in limbo and does not really fit anywhere. It would be interesting to hear of anyone who has got into Australia as a Upvc window fitter.

Good luck
Thanks Paula31
He already has a visa so he can get in ok
just got to persuade him to come.
painter man is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:05 pm
  #14  
Former Resident Visa
 
Jaycee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Mornington Peninsula
Posts: 2,887
Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by painter man View Post
Thanks Paula31 was just wondering if our son would be able to get work in oz
as he fits upvc windows in blighty.
husband says theres plenty of window fitting companies over here not as many upvc windows but lots of aliminium these are just as easy to fit as the upvc ones so he should have no problems at all.
Jaycee1 is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:37 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Red_V_Roger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Peregian Springs, Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,872
Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: window fitters ?

Originally Posted by ukecadet View Post
What country are you talking about?
UK - Plumber's trade was plumbing, glazing and lead work...such as roof flashing, etc.
Red_V_Roger is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.