Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are wills important when applying for defacto visa?

Are wills important when applying for defacto visa?

Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:08 am
Just Joined

S Jackson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are wills important when applying for defacto visa?

Hi All!

My girlfriend and I were considering making wills with each other as beneficiaries but weren't sure if this would go against us in the eyes of DIMIA being so close to our application (5 weeks away).

I was wondering if anyone who has applied for a defacto visa has included wills to each other and if so, is there much importance placed on these as supporting documents?

Thanks for your help!
Jacko.
Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are wills important when applying for defacto visa?

Originally posted by S Jackson:
Hi All!

My girlfriend and I were considering making wills with each other as beneficiaries but weren't sure if this would go against us in the eyes of DIMIA being so close to our application (5 weeks away).

I was wondering if anyone who has applied for a defacto visa has included wills to each other and if so, is there much importance placed on these as supporting documents?

Thanks for your help!
Jacko.
Hi

No I didn't include will in my application. I have a list (it's in an image file) that lists some of the document immigration would like to prove a defacto relationship if you want.

If you want it, send me a private msg
Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:29 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All!

Thanks for your help!
Jacko.
Recent wills won't count for much as they can be made today, revoked tomorrow - if you had made it a few years ago, different matter (ie helps prove longlasting and genuine relationship). But include it by all means as just another little piece of de facto evidence - it definitely won!t count against you.

Don
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 2:40 am
Just Joined

S Jackson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I think we'll include them anyway. Can't hurt right?
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I think we'll include them anyway. Can't hurt right?
haev just been asked to prove "de facto" status between me and my SO. Sending the poor case officer over 30 documents, 20 photos and 4 Statutory Declarations covering a 3 year period. Didnt bother with Wills.

overkill - its the way forward !
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

overkill - its the way forward !
I agree totally! we handed in a lever arch file full to the brim and got a positive answer less than a week later, plus half the papers (presumably deemed in excess of what they needed to keep hold of)!
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 7:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi All!

Thanks for your help!
Jacko.
I'm in a defacto relationship. What we did ... sent them bank statements in both our names, old bills, I also had a letter from the British embassy, but this was because before coming to Australia I was in Singapore and they don't really recognise defacto's, so I had to go to the British embassy there and ask them (which cost me around 10 dollars) to right a letter confirming that it was a defacto relationship. Anyway I included that in our application to Australia.

There was no problems anyway. My advice would be to include anything, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, like old bills. They just want some type of proof that you and your partner have been living together.

cheers

P.S... no we have not made wills