Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Willetton, Rossmoyne or Applecross?

Willetton, Rossmoyne or Applecross?

Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

rachy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Willetton, Rossmoyne or Applecross?

Okay, I know this has probably been brushed over countless and countless of times but we have to make a decision very soon on which area we will be moving to. We are basing the area we move into by the schol it feeds into. We have a choice either Willetton SHS, Rossmoyne SHS or Applecross SHS.

My daughter (the one who will be attending one of these schools) is extremely academic. She leans for more to SOSE and english based subjects although she is good at maths. She's a lost cause when it comes to science, however. She's not sporty or artsy or musical but she is quite good at drama. She's had trouble making friends (bullying was a big issue) ... so we really need a school with friendly people and good teachers and good education... so which out of these schools is the most fitting? I've hear so many stories and they all seem to clash! I need someone who's had some experience in these schools or just any advice! Help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Willetton, Rossmoyne or Applecross?

Hi rachy

Have you been in touch with the Gifted and Talented section at the Education Dept? See http://det.wa.edu.au/curriculumsuppo...detcms/portal/. Also, I don't think that there is such a thing as Applecross SHS - do you mean Melville SHS?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

No, I definitely mean Applecross. It's located in Ardross near Kardinya.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachy
No, I definitely mean Applecross. It's located in Ardross near Kardinya.
OK, see it now, I was searching by suburb. Its NAPLAN results for Year 9 last year don't look too good; 28% of students come from a non-English speaking background (similar to Rossmoyne and Willetton). Other than that, I haven't heard anything about the school. Have you been in contact with GATE to see if your daughter can get into one of their programmes? It might give you a few more choices, but don't know if you need them, if you can get into Rossmoyne or Willetton. I haven't heard anything negative about them either, only positive.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:47 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Applecross has or had a pretty good rep and one of the reasons why house prices are quite eye watering in that catchment.
However I k ow from first hand AX can have issues. From my local knowledge though not through own children I'd say rossmoyne.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:00 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't bother researching schools until you know that you afford to live in those catchment areas.

Every person on this forum thinks their children are gifted and deserve special treatment.

FYI Rossmoyne is one of the best schools in the state.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
I wouldn't bother researching schools until you know that you afford to live in those catchment areas.

Every person on this forum thinks their children are gifted and deserve special treatment.

FYI Rossmoyne is one of the best schools in the state.
My two are extremely gifted.You should see how easily they can get out of doing housework.I wish I had their gift.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:20 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

You would think with all the amount gifted children out of the UK I should be sending my kids there.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

You would think with all the amount gifted children out of the UK I should be sending my kids there.
Gifted kids have special education needs, just the other end of the scale that the general population normally consider as 'special needs'. In general, gifted kids educational needs are not well catered for in WA, and they do not get 'special treatment'. What you regard as 'special treatment' is these kids getting the appropriate level of learning, just as other kids do.

Now, I'll try to explain this simply, for Weebie in particular:
  1. it is possible that gifted kids are born in Australia, and even in WA (some are are of British descent, though); and
  2. a child cannot become gifted just because they are born in one country or go to a particular school - usually it is simply a matter of genetics.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Gifted kids have special education needs, just the other end of the scale that the general population normally consider as 'special needs'. In general, gifted kids educational needs are not well catered for in WA, and they do not get 'special treatment'. What you regard as 'special treatment' is these kids getting the appropriate level of learning, just as other kids do.

Now, I'll try to explain this simply, for Weebie in particular:
  1. it is possible that gifted kids are born in Australia, and even in WA (some are are of British descent, though); and
  2. a child cannot become gifted just because they are born in one country or go to a particular school - usually it is simply a matter of genetics.
When the UK had over 30% of it's workforce working for the Government I'm sure this was well facilitated for. With the cutbacks I doubt the UK Education system is what it was 5 years ago with regards to gifted and special needs kids.

As for this forum there is a unusually amount of people who think their kids are gifted and because of this deserve the best free school possible.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

When the UK had over 30% of it's workforce working for the Government I'm sure this was well facilitated for. With the cutbacks I doubt the UK Education system is what it was 5 years ago with regards to gifted and special needs kids.
I have no idea, my kids have only been to school here, and I was not commenting on the UK, but WA in particular.

As for this forum there is a unusually amount of people who think their kids are gifted and because of this deserve the best free school possible.
I don't think that there are a large amount of people on BE who think that their kids are gifted. There are, however, a large number of people on BE who are seeking information about schools for their kids. Some of these kids have special needs, at various points on the scale of ability.

The OP said that her daughter was 'extremely academic' and also that she had been bullied and had found it hard to fit in. These are common problems for very bright kids, especially if there's only a small number in a school, and like everyone else, being with others with similar ability helps. Unfortunately some people give bright kids (and their parents) a hard time. The OP (and others) are not showing off, just trying to explain their particular concerns about finding the right school - fair enough, surely?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Wow, you lot certainly do like to argue a lot

Okay, so we are able to afford houses in all of those areas, to the person who asked above.

And I couldn't give a toss about this gifted children thing, we chose the area we wanted to move in long before we heard of the schools there, and now we just have to narrow down our area according to the school that'll cater for her needs best.

I don't care if the school she goes to is full of bogans and hicks and have terrible NAPLAN results. All I want is a school that caters for things she's good at and things she enjoys. Furthermore, I'm more worried about the school atmosphere... as in, how friendly are the children?

So instead of arguing amongst yourselves, could you maybe tell me which school fits better. Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:00 am
Banned

So your kids are not giften then?

If you've got money to spend then you should be investing in private education. Although I'm not familiar with the other schools rossmoyne is one of the best schools in the state. Def Equal Best public school with Churchlands.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:24 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Only heard good things about Rossmoyne.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:26 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Only heard good things about Rossmoyne.
Yep, thats was my recommendation was a few post earlier too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.