will it work if only one of us wants to be in oz

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:05 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: will it work if only one of us wants to be in oz

I think you both have to want it. It's tough enough moving countries
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sawbang
I have my pasted vettasses' instructed a agent to obtain a 176 visa with plans to move to perth with my three children aged 13, 16, 21 we are in are 40 s.
we should get visa end of the year' the thing is my wife doesn't want to go
and I am being hard fast on going as I think live in oz would be better for are kids. has any one been through the same, and has it worked out for them ?
Are you sure you could even get visas for all your kids? At 21 your eldest probably is too old to be included on your application and will need to get a visa on his/her own accord.

Nobody can adivse you on what's right for your family, but I would have to say from my own experiences that if one of you is not 100% committed to the move it's going to be very difficult. Also, you may want to rethink the whole better life for the kids thing. Especially in Perth. There is not a great deal of opportunity for young adults here which is why so many of them leave to go over east to live and work. Perth is great for young families and older couples but in my opinion it's not where I would be bringing my teenagers. Yes, I live in Perth, yes, I like it here ok, yes my kids are young teenagers but I fully expect them to want to go either overseas or over east to live/work when they hit their 20's and yes I'm ok with that. I intend to go back over east once they're done their high school careers here.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Astronaut is an unknown quantity at this point

No it won't! Are all three of your kids keen to move as well?

I think your kids might be too old to change country, they will have good friends where they are, and it becomes progressively more difficult to make new ones once they're above 13 or 14.

There are many options beyond a simple UK / Oz question. If you're not happy in your current environment you can also consider relocating to another area of the UK that gives you a more outdoor lifestyle if that's what you want.

If it's opportunities for your kids after school years that you want then Europe is a fantastic place, it's more important that they get good schooling and qualifications that they can then use to open doors in their careers and life in general. Perth probably isn't your answer.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:50 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why i'm still in th UK. The other half loves Oz for a holiday but can't see herself there living day to day, unless her best friends moved out

We don't have kids but reading from others on here who have made the move, if the person who stays at home to look after the kids is unhappy then it's going to be very tough.

Life isn't bad here in the UK, maybe look closer to home for a new adventure?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:12 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Will it work if you don't go?

A critical question you must really know the answer to is, how much of a dream is this of yours, is it a passing fancy, a whim, a mid life crisis, a "wouldn't it be nice if" or a deep down burning desire?

If it is YOUR deep down desire, if YOU don't fulfil it, will your relationship survive that? Will you feel resentment towards your partner, with they feel guilt for knowing they had stopped you from at least giving it a go? Can you live with the "if only we had tried" syndrome for the rest of your lives together?

If you go and it doesn't work out how will you both deal with this will you see it as a failure or as a life experience? Could you live with the fact that it was your dream that saw you uprooting your lives from your comfort zones to move to the other side of the world?

Life throws up many difficult decisions, these require some form of compromise otherwise they wouldn't be difficult. This issue is something you have to work out between you both, it is not something that you can resolve on a public forum.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my pasted vettasses' instructed a agent to obtain a 176 visa with plans to move to perth with my three children aged 13, 16, 21 we are in are 40 s.
and I am being hard fast on going as I think live in oz would be better for are kids. has any one been through the same, and has it worked out for them ?
No it won't work.

Unless you know that she will change her mind once she's here.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:33 pm

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Griswolds

If it is YOUR deep down desire, if YOU don't fulfil it, will your relationship survive that? Will you feel resentment towards your partner, with they feel guilt for knowing they had stopped you from at least giving it a go? Can you live with the "if only we had tried" syndrome for the rest of your lives together?
I can answer that from my point of view.....

My relationship has gone from strength to strength and I don't resent her for not wanting to go, we're living life for now, rather than me putting it on hold which is what was happening, and its good (apart from having to go to work, yuk).
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:54 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by russmcp
I can answer that from my point of view.....

My relationship has gone from strength to strength and I don't resent her for not wanting to go, we're living life for now, rather than me putting it on hold which is what was happening, and its good (apart from having to go to work, yuk).
So which one was it for you a passing fancy, a whim, a mid life crisis, a "wouldn't it be nice if" or a deep down burning desire?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:32 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

IF your wife has been to OZ before and does'nt want to go then l would'nt immigrate, but if your wife has never been down under before then maybe go on a holiday and she might change her mind about immigrating. l agree with what someone said if the kids are under 12 its alot easier for the to adjust to a new life down under and make new friends.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:58 pm

So which one was it for you a passing fancy, a whim, a mid life crisis, a "wouldn't it be nice if" or a deep down burning desire?
Burning desire. Still love Oz to pieces, especially when it gets cold in the UK, but I try and keep busy. I'm not wishing my life away waiting for a move that may not happen, and I'd be lost without her, that simple really.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russmcp
Burning desire. Still love Oz to pieces, especially when it gets cold in the UK, but I try and keep busy. I'm not wishing my life away waiting for a move that may not happen, and I'd be lost without her, that simple really.

Dont move for the climate. Oz climate is much harsher than many anticipate.

Say you pick perth, often VERY hot in summer, too hot for many things outside, your a carpenter, what weather is a dream on holiday I can assure you is no dream for a tradesman, 42 degrees and youve got a 10 hour day in it

Flies in perth are an absolute pain for quite a spell too. Then in winter it can be cold, wet, and windy. This is not a slag off perth post, its because you mentioned perth as your destination, Most parts of OZ have times of the year when the weather is as uncomfortable as februrary in the UK. In reality UK has a very mild, comfortable climate compared to many months in many parts of OZ.

The work situation might be well worth checking out now too, trade work has slowed to some sort of grinding halt....

I totally agree with the other poster who said your wife needs to see OZ before making a decision, did she see and didnt like, or has she never been. You said you have a great relationship they are hard to find, if you have that, drag the entire family out, dont holiday, spend the time looking at what the heck opportunities there are for you ALL!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife ends up unhappy and your kids end up unhappy ...... how miserable will your life be? Is it worth its? I don't think so.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:36 pm
ABCDiamond

That is the other side of the coin that also needs considering...

I am not sure which is worse.

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

A critical question you must really know the answer to is, how much of a dream is this of yours, is it a passing fancy, a whim, a mid life crisis, a "wouldn't it be nice if" or a deep down burning desire?

If you go and it doesn't work out how will you both deal with this will you see it as a failure or as a life experience? Could you live with the fact that it was your dream that saw you uprooting your lives from your comfort zones to move to the other side of the world?

Life throws up many difficult decisions, these require some form of compromise otherwise they wouldn't be difficult. This issue is something you have to work out between you both, it is not something that you can resolve on a public forum.
Oh goody! This threads developing into a Dr Phil episode.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

My mum-in-law made an interesting point that got our family thinking: one thing to move in your twenties or thirties, but another in your forties....respectfully disagreed, cos I am still mentally about 26.......!!

Happiness is a funny thing: helps to understand what you are unhappy about:

1) Are you moving towards Oz or away from something else? Which is more powerful?

2) What would make you happy? What about your wife? And your kids?

3) Everything has an upside and a downside - how comfortable are you with that kind of risk?

Personally, have put a lot on the line to make the move, but my wife and kids are all united in what they want. And kids a lot younger than yours.

Whatever you decide, there is no point in having an itch that isn't scratched: good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.